The STAR WARS galaxy

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

What do you think, how big the "modest-sized" STAR WARS galaxy is?

more than 120.000 light years in diameter
8%
more than 100.000 light years in diameter
8%
more than 050.000 light years in diameter
23%
more than 020.000 light years in diameter
15%
more than 015.000 light years in diameter
15%
more than 010.000 light years in diameter
23%
more than 005.000 light years in diameter
8%
more than 001.000 light years in diameter
No votes

Total votes: 13

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:29 pm

When I scaled the 2 images I linked to, I marked off the general color changes (if there are really black holes at the center of both, it's be tough to have life evolve there, so I gave it a little breathing room) and I got 42% of the total length for the core of the Milky Way galaxy image and 52% for the SWG, but so far, I'm stuck on getting a total figure. Right now, I'm trying to find an example of a real galaxy where the length of the core is around 52% of the total length to work off of that, but it's tough.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:24 pm

GStone wrote:It's a given that both the density and size of a galaxy core is gonna increase the more you increase the length of a galaxy.
Please could you elaborate this! I don't say, it is wrong. But maybe you should explain the coherences.

For example, the Andromeda Galaxy is with 220.000 light years in diameter more than twice as big as the Milky Way with 100.000 light years in diameter. But it is with "only" 1,2 trillion Solar masses lighter than the Milky Way with 1,9 trillion Solar masses. But for all that, the Andromeda Galaxy consist of circa a trillion stars while the Milky Way has "only" 300 billion stars.
GStone wrote:]When I scaled the 2 images I linked to, I marked off the general color changes (if there are really black holes at the center of both, it's be tough to have life evolve there, so I gave it a little breathing room) and I got 42% of the total length for the core of the Milky Way galaxy image and 52% for the SWG, but so far, I'm stuck on getting a total figure. Right now, I'm trying to find an example of a real galaxy where the length of the core is around 52% of the total length to work off of that, but it's tough.
What do you think, when you will have an achievement?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:19 pm

There are a few things causing a lot of error in my methodology. The first being I've just got 2 drawing programs, AutCAD '03 and paint and you can't copy stuff from one into the other or open up each others supporting files. I've tried for years and haven't found out a way to do it, so I'm stuck with paint. There is the lack of decent photos. I'm ignoring those that look like something from a comic book. Otherwise, I'd be no better than Saxton taking a panel and guessing (there are also tons of photos of galaxies that are either entirely horizontal and I can't see any of the top/bottom views or others look like mustard was thrown from the bottle onto a flat surface and you can't tell where the galaxy begins or ends-- and the university/NASA/etc. level photos are the best ones I can work with for accuracy). There is the placement of the end points for the lines I've been designating as "the galactic core".

There is also the fact that I've compared a tightly wound S galaxy with the type ours is. Just going by that (and working off of an image of galaxy NGC1300-- which is the same type as the SWG, even down the the third letter), I found the SWG to be 75,825 LYs +/- a few thousand LYs for scaling errors because of calculating an estimate of 82% of the overall length of NGC1300 to be taken up by the core and finding the average galaxy distance increase per percentage of galactic core increase of the overall length of the galaxy and using NGC1300 (which is 3,300 LYs across) and our own galaxy as the 2 extreme ends.

I also have the error of a low population sampling. 2 sucks as a statistical sampling. But, I thought of 2 ways to reduce my error sources. The first is to stick with the NGC1300 sampling and find larger, known galaxies of exactly the same type until I can either get close the the approximate core size percentage I roughly estimated the SWG to be at, which also increases the number of rough percentages I'm collecting.

This method is a work in progress.

I even put in a word with asktheastronomer.com, but they haven't gotten back to me yet, either because they haven't gotten to my email or they're having a tough time finding an answer for me, though I was specific about if there was one that had a core of approximately 52% the overall length.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:08 am

Who is like God arbour wrote:
GStone wrote:It's a given that both the density and size of a galaxy core is gonna increase the more you increase the length of a galaxy.
Please could you elaborate this! I don't say, it is wrong. But maybe you should explain the coherences.

For example, the Andromeda Galaxy is with 220.000 light years in diameter more than twice as big as the Milky Way with 100.000 light years in diameter. But it is with "only" 1,2 trillion Solar masses lighter than the Milky Way with 1,9 trillion Solar masses. But for all that, the Andromeda Galaxy consist of circa a trillion stars while the Milky Way has "only" 300 billion stars.
Well, for instance, take a look at the core of any full galaxy image of the milky way, like the one I linked to or any that's on wikipedia. Now compare that to the image of galaxy NGC1300 on wikipedia. Galaxies form by gases swirling around each other. As galaxies get older, the arms could pull in as more matter around it is drawn closer or galaxies will merge. The original core may not change in density or size, but if the arms tighten up and/or more arms are added, there will be a new core which will be composed of the original core, plus the inner most ends of the arms as they continue to get closer and closer to the original core. Visibly, it will look like it has grown, but technically it hasn't. There's just a reclassification of what all is at the core. And, because things would get increasingly more dense the tighter you wound the arms around the original core, the less likely you will have life as we would find in the habital zone of a star system. For life to spring up in these spots of the galaxy, you'd need extreme extremophiles.

In effect, the core has become denser and larger.

For Andromeda and the MW, Andromeda could have been formed by a combination of more spread out, though less dense galaxies and we missed the crush.

Edit: Also, the stellar type composition of Andromeda might be different from the MW, but I don't know of any figures on stellar compositions for Andromeda.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:46 pm

To give a small update...

I've tried looking for an exact match of the galaxy type and that made it extraordinarily difficult, so I opted to go with ones that are the SB type that have known diameters. That made it a little easier, but not much. The main problem I'm having is finding diameters, even approximate ones, as well as images let alone good ones. But, I did find one galaxy, NGC1090 at about 45,000 LYs across. I calculated the rough core diameter percentage of 28% of the overall length. The SWG has a rough one of 52%. This means that with just 1300 and 1090, there's an increase of about 777.78 LYs per every 1% increase of the core length on average for galaxies of at least the SB classification without getting more exact galaxy ratings. This would put the SWG at a length of about 40,444.56 LYs +/- a few thousand LYs for scaling errors.

I still have plenty of other SB galaxies to check out, but this is all I've got for now.

Edit: Okay, I'm done. The only other smaller galaxies I could find info on were about the same size as 1300 and 1090. I didn't want to use the ones from spiral barred galaxies larger than the MW because of the much larger size/masses would throw off the smaller size/masses exponentially because of the small sample I could find. A larger sampling of spiral barred ones smaller than our own is a better gauge of a spiral barred's changes, since we are trying to find the length of a spiral barred galaxy smaller than our own.

So, unless anyone can find any more info, I'm okay with the idea of the rough estimate I posted earlier in this post for the SWG.

AFT
Bridge Officer

Post by AFT » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:32 am

So, in short, the size of the SW galaxy is not clearly established anywhere but there is enough evidence to support a fairly small one, yet the pro-Wars debaters claim a Milky Way sized galaxy so they can support very high hyper-drive speeds. Well, that’s….dishonest to say the least. No wonder way the debate has raged for so long. Anyway, I don’t believe in the super fast hyper-drive thing but this piece of information doesn’t help the pro-Wars debaters to make a credible case.

(Sorry for the late response, I’ve been kind of busy and now I have to play catch up for a while).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:43 pm

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign wrote:The notion that ~1/2 of the stars in the SW galaxy have planets and are part of a star system comes form a Qui Gon quote in TPM when he's talking to Anikin after they first get to Coruscant (I haven't seen that film in like 3 years so I can't be more specific).
The Phantom Menace:
EXT. SLAVE QUARTERS - BALCONY - NIGHT

ANAKIN sits on the balcony rail of his hovel as QUI-GON tends to a cut. The
BOY leans back to look at the vast blanket of stars in the sky.

QUI-GON : Sit still, Annie. Let me clean this cut.
ANAKIN : There are so many! Do they all have a system of planets?
QUI-GON : Most of them.
ANAKIN : Has anyone been to them all?
QU-IG0N : (laughs) Not likely.
ANAKIN : I want to be the first one to see them all... Ouch!
An exceptionally dense galaxy this must be, for most stars have their own system of planets.

Attack of the Clones:
INTERIOR: GEONOSIS, CONFERENCE ROOM - DAY

POGGLE THE LESSER and his TWO AIDES are at one end of a
large round conference table.

COUNT DOOKU: Now is the time, my friends. This is the
moment when you have to decide between the Republic or the
Confederacy of Independent Systems.

COUNT DOOKU is at the head of the table. JANGO FETT stands
behind his chair.

In addition to the original group, there are also THREE
OPPOSITION SENATORS: PO NUDO, TESSEK and TOONBUCK TOORA,
and a COMMERCE GUILD DIGNITARY; SHU MAI and a MEMBER of the
INTERGALACTIC BANK CLAN, SAN HILL.

COUNT DOOKU: As I explained to you earlier, I'm quite
convinced that ten thousand more systems will rally to our
cause with your support, gentlemen. And let me remind you
of our absolute commitment to capitalism... of the lower
taxes, the reduced tariffs, and the eventual abolition of
all trade barriers. Signing this treaty will bring you
profits beyond your wildest imagination. What we are
proposing is completely free trade. (looks at Nute) Our
friends in the Trade Federation have pledged their support.
When their Battle Droids are combined with yours, we shall
have an army greater than anything in the galaxy, The Jedi
will be overwhelmed. The Republic will agree to any demands
me make.
10,000 systems will rally to the CIS.

However, I believe that in a high canon source, we learn that the Naboo system, politically speaking, actually represent more planet than just Naboo.
INTERIOR: CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE - DAY

CHANCELLOR PALPATINE sits behind his desk with TWO RED-CLAD
ROYAL GUARDS on either side of the door. YODA, PLO KOON,
KI-ADI-MUNDI, and MACE WINDU sit across from him. Behind
them stand the Jedi LUMINARA UNDULI and her Padawan,
BARRISS OFFEE.

PALPATINE: I don't know how much longer I can hold off the
vote, my friends. More and more star systems are joining
the separatists.

MACE WINDU: If they do break away -

PALPATINE: I will not let this Republic that has stood for
a thousand years be split in two. My negotiations will not
fail!
Mostly a figure of speech. If not, we could think that with more than 10,000 systems, the CSi would own over half the power of the former republic, both geopolitically and militarily.
Kl-ADI-MUNDI: We have surveyed all systems in the Republic, and have found no sign of General Grievous.

YODA: Hiding in the Outer Rim, Grievous is. The outlying systems, you must sweep.

OBI-WAN: It may take some time . . . we do not have many ships to spare.

MACE: We cannot take ships from the front line.

OBI-WAN: And yet, it would be fatal for us to allow the droid armies to regroup.

YODA: Master Kenobi, our spies contact, you must, and then wait.

Kl-ADI-MUNDI: What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?

MACE: It is critical we send an attack group there, immediately!

OBI-WAN: He's right, that is a system we cannot afford to lose. [It's the main navigation route for the southwestern quadrant.] (<- bit that didn't make it to the film apparently...)
Kashyyk is an important system, despite the low level of industrialisation and urbanisation. it would seem that the part removed from the film is correct, and that this planet is important due to its position on hyperspace routes.

All scripts from Blue Harvest and IMSDb.