Challenge: Invade the Star Wars galaxy

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
mojo
Starship Captain

Re: Challenge: Invade the Star Wars galaxy

Post by mojo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:10 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
There's nothing as such. The movies, all of them, are on the same level. I have never heard of one movie taking precedence, in terms of canonical validity, over another one because its first release or its latest edition is more recent.

Point is, if there is a contradiction, then there is a contradiction. No information is better than the other. We then have to rationalize things, or if it doesn't work, try to find which information is validated elsewhere at the same level in the canon hierarchy. Like it's done for the hadiths in Islam for example.

There is, really, no reason to be so obtuse on such a miserable segment of the SW lore.
As I said, there are bigger problems to deal with, including the size of the SW galaxy.
by the way, before i regrettably started to lose my shit from saying it over and over again, this is EXACTLY what i was saying. thank you again, oragahn.

KSW
Bridge Officer

Post by KSW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:16 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: There's nothing as such. The movies, all of them, are on the same level. I have never heard of one movie taking precedence, in terms of canonical validity, over another one because its first release or its latest edition is more recent.

Point is, if there is a contradiction, then there is a contradiction. No information is better than the other.
It just supersedes. Like a new law supersedes an old one.
There is, really, no reason to be so obtuse on such a miserable segment of the SW lore.
Yeah, what was that about cleaning up the venom and vitriol? Guess you didn't get the memo.
Steve, how about a warning here?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 pm

MauriceWindows wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: There's nothing as such. The movies, all of them, are on the same level. I have never heard of one movie taking precedence, in terms of canonical validity, over another one because its first release or its latest edition is more recent.

Point is, if there is a contradiction, then there is a contradiction. No information is better than the other.
except that no it doesn't, according to star wars canon policy, not to mention plain common sense. you are also refusing to admit that these movies are meant to be seen as one story and that a thing cannot be higher canon than itself.
MauriceWindows wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:There is, really, no reason to be so obtuse on such a miserable segment of the SW lore.
Yeah, what was that about cleaning up the venom and vitriol? Guess you didn't get the memo.
what are you talking about? are you saying correctly defining someone's clearly obtuse actions as clearly obtuse actions is 'venom and vitriol'? how would YOU define your refusal to accept canon policy and insistence that a contradiction is in fact a retcon when it is literally impossible for that to be the case within that same canon policy? you are refusing to admit ridiculously obvious points and rejecting lucas' own words in order to stick to your guns on what oragahn correctly called 'a miserable segment of the sw lore'.
refusing to admit something as simple as the fact that all six films are of equal canon status is the textbook definition of purposeful obtuseness.

KSW
Bridge Officer

Post by KSW » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 am

Buhbyeeee troll!

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:49 am

mojo wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
There's nothing as such. The movies, all of them, are on the same level. I have never heard of one movie taking precedence, in terms of canonical validity, over another one because its first release or its latest edition is more recent.

Point is, if there is a contradiction, then there is a contradiction. No information is better than the other. We then have to rationalize things, or if it doesn't work, try to find which information is validated elsewhere at the same level in the canon hierarchy. Like it's done for the hadiths in Islam for example.

As I said, there are bigger problems to deal with, including the size of the SW galaxy.
by the way, before i regrettably started to lose my shit from saying it over and over again, this is EXACTLY what i was saying. thank you again, oragahn.
Cool. I must specify that by "another [movie]", I mean it as ANH vs AOTC, not ANH edition 1 vs ANH edition 2, since we know how to handle the later very easily.
MauriceWindows wrote:

To borrow my example above, the latest edition of ANH supersedes any former one. But that is all.
If there's a contradiction between ROTS and the first edition of ANH while there's no contradiction with a newer edition of ANH, there's in fact no problem anymore.
However, if no new edition has solved the problem, then the problem still exists. For example, if AOTC introduced a contradiction with a fact presented in ANH which hasn't been altered throughout its multiple editions, the contradiction remains and AOTC being made decades after ANH chances nothing to that.

You really have to imagine movie canon as six columns, side by side, one for each movie.
Their tops are at the same level, with, at the top of each column, the latest edition of each movie. Anytime a new edition comes, the older editions are pushed a notch down (and thus rammed into the ground). Or if this poses problem to you, then let's say that all other columns adjust their respective heights to match the suddenly tallest column, without altering their own respective hierarchy regarding their internal edition-relative ordering.
Again, all column tops are even.
Please, cut the drama. No need to be so on the defense. I simply said the equivalent of let's move on, since you're making a problem where there's none to make.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:57 am

MauriceWindows wrote:Image

Buhbyeeee troll!
KSW...

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:13 am

MauriceWindows wrote:Image

Buhbyeeee troll!
MauriceWindows wrote:Yeah, what was that about cleaning up the venom and vitriol? Guess you didn't get the memo.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:15 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:You really have to imagine movie canon as six columns, side by side, one for each movie.
Their tops are at the same level, with, at the top of each column, the latest edition of each movie. Anytime a new edition comes, the older editions are pushed a notch down (and thus rammed into the ground). Or if this poses problem to you, then let's say that all other columns adjust their respective heights to match the suddenly tallest column, without altering their own respective hierarchy regarding their internal edition-relative ordering.
Again, all column tops are even.
GODDAMN.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:31 pm

I have not made any argument for or against that,
Then, honestly, what is your business with me? How is arguing that the Federation can gather hundreds or even thousands of ships supposed to refute the ability of the Empire to build moon sized battle stations [each billions of times larger than the entire Federation starfleet], and its 1.6 million ship sector fleet? Or, furthermore, the powerful Centerpoint Station and Galaxy Gun, which can destroy planets from across the galaxy?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:35 pm

i don't know what his business with you is, swst, but i know what my business with you is. it's the beautiful business of love. will you be my belated valentine?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:59 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:to build moon sized battle stations [each billions of times larger than the entire Federation starfleet],
SWST, you are a liar!
And I will continue to call you as such until you provide mathematical proof of the bullshit you spout...

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:to build moon sized battle stations [each billions of times larger than the entire Federation starfleet],
SWST, you are a liar!
And I will continue to call you as such until you provide mathematical proof of the bullshit you spout...
I did, you liar.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:25 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:
SWST, you are a liar!
I did, you liar.
Really?
Where?
I truly did not see it, and you are only one mathematical proof away from an apology... :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:34 pm

SWST wrote:Then, honestly, what is your business with me?
That would be debating.
How is arguing that the Federation can gather hundreds or even thousands of ships supposed to refute the ability of the Empire to build moon sized battle stations
For starters it doesn't matter if the Empire fleet outnumbers the federation one a trillion times over your post on friday Feb 10 was in response to one part of one argument of my previous post concering Federation industry. Namely you went with the 39 ships in less than a year, I pointed out that was during peace time and pointed to far larger losses which didn't collaspe the Federation during the Dominion war. The Empire and its industry has no relation to proving your case on using the 39 ships as a benchmark. That is a completely seperate argument.

Second while I have no desire to do Volumetrics, and made no arguments thereof, I did post direct C-canon evidence, with supporting T and G canon, that the death stars do not break down into a fleet equivlent to thier mass. Which you appeared to have ignored to whine about me replying to your post in reply to me.
the powerful Centerpoint Station and Galaxy Gun, which can destroy planets from across the galaxy?
Centerpoint Station is indeed powerful through not of Imperial origin and IIRC they have no idea how to use it as a weapon. As to the Galaxy gun it fires physical shells which can be intercepted and as well like most Imperial superweapons it had a narrow operational lifespan so odds, much like having an operational death star, of having one around during a chance war between the Federation and the Empire are extremely remote.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Among the numerous contradictory schematics for the Death Stars, even the most generous shows that a massive amount of the station's space is dedicated to parts which are exclusive to the battle station: ergo, not the "modules" found in star destroyers or prefab bases which the Empire's agents have shifted here and there in order to keep the project secret.
The ICS, belonging to that series SWST shakes his thing over before the cream comes out, is certainly the less generous of all in that department, reducing what could be assumed to be module-padding to a ridiculous portion.
Point being that in order to use the metallic and synthetic mass of the battle station to build ships, you'd either have to wait for many decades for all the materials to go through the shipyards' slips, or build a fuckton more shipyards, which would obviously reduce the quantity of materials that could be used for the ships (we can't assume that those materials needed to build the tools and shipyards would be found outside of the total mass of ores mobilized for the Death Star's construction). Finally, all those extra shipyards would then require an immense amount of transports suited to feed them specifically. Remember, Death Stars are built in areas where the ores are locally harvested. if you do the same with shipyards, you once find yourself out of local resources and in need, either during or after the construction of that "equivalent fleet", and thus you need to import them. Much more fuel and transports needed, etc.