Star Trek Shields (with a word in by Wong!)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
User1619
Padawan

Re: Star Trek Shields (with a word in by Wong!)

Post by User1619 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Picard wrote:It's just which part of canon one takes, and how he/she interprets it. I usually take parts of canon supported by science - there is no goddamn way someone will convince me that few pounds of antimatter can strip atmosphere off entire world.
Actually in "Obsession," we see that an ounce of starship anti-matter can do it.
Normally that's only about 1 megaton, but here it's a lot more--over 18.5 teratons.

So clearly we're not dealing with the ordinary garden-variety brand of anti-matter.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon May 23, 2011 12:29 pm

HeroHeeto wrote:
Picard wrote:It's just which part of canon one takes, and how he/she interprets it. I usually take parts of canon supported by science - there is no goddamn way someone will convince me that few pounds of antimatter can strip atmosphere off entire world.
Actually in "Obsession," we see that an ounce of starship anti-matter can do it.
Normally that's only about 1 megaton, but here it's a lot more--over 18.5 teratons.

So clearly we're not dealing with the ordinary garden-variety brand of anti-matter.
ounce is a measument of weight not mass so maybe with the anti grav tech they had fuck tonnes of mass reduced to one ounce of weight.

User1619
Padawan

Post by User1619 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
HeroHeeto wrote:

ounce is a measument of weight not mass so maybe with the anti grav tech they had fuck tonnes of mass reduced to one ounce of weight.
I don't think that's very likely. Rather, it supports the E+29J power-figs I mentioned for starship power-generation.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Mon May 23, 2011 5:21 pm

HeroHeeto wrote:I don't think that's very likely. Rather, it supports the E+29J power-figs I mentioned for starship power-generation.
It's very likely actually. Especially when you consider that by the late 24th century both the UFP and the Romulans have the ability to collapse stars or create their own black holes. To have such gravity technology is well within their abilities.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Fri May 27, 2011 1:19 am

About SW vs ST planetary shields:

In Star Wars, theater and planetary shields are virtually impenetrable, even with a fleet of star destroyers and a super star destroyers. In Star Trek, a single ship with phasers can cut through it.

Even if you were to go buy high end ST calcs and lower end SW calcs, you still get that the theater shield the Rebels used is far more powerful than any theater shield used by Star Trek.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri May 27, 2011 2:29 am

that's absolutely false as they never tried a dedicated bombardment and could of easily forced the rebels to either flee to open space in a turkey shoot..or just kill them by turning everything around the hoth shield into slag and letting them suffocate/cook if they had ICS level fire power yet they did not

nice try but nothing canon supports that or the ics fire power figures

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Fri May 27, 2011 2:40 am

"strong enough to withstand any bombardment."

You were saying?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri May 27, 2011 2:53 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:"strong enough to withstand any bombardment."

You were saying?
what the fuck does this have to do with the fact that they could of liquified the ice world and just deep fried their asses?

to say nothing of the fact that statements contradicted by on screen performances are well bullshit seeing as the shield generator got taken out by fire power that was not impressively powerful at all

User1626
Padawan

Post by User1626 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:55 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:About SW vs ST planetary shields:

In Star Wars, theater and planetary shields are virtually impenetrable, even with a fleet of star destroyers and a super star destroyers. In Star Trek, a single ship with phasers can cut through it.

Even if you were to go buy high end ST calcs and lower end SW calcs, you still get that the theater shield the Rebels used is far more powerful than any theater shield used by Star Trek.
Oh sheesh, can you close the bathroom door when you're doing that?
It's GROSS.

In your case, "low end SW calcs" is defined as when you're typing with one hand-- instead of using both hands.... and typing with your feet.

Who needs Playboy when you got FAN-boi?

User1626
Padawan

Post by User1626 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:02 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:"strong enough to withstand any bombardment."
Unless you've got some galvanized elephants handy to walk right through it.. or a cruise missile with a 20kT silo-buster warhead.

User1626
Padawan

Post by User1626 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:08 am

Mith wrote:
HeroHeeto wrote:I don't think that's very likely. Rather, it supports the E+29J power-figs I mentioned for starship power-generation.
It's very likely actually. Especially when you consider that by the late 24th century both the UFP and the Romulans have the ability to collapse stars or create their own black holes. To have such gravity technology is well within their abilities.
An ounce is a unit of mass. Gravity is measured in Newtons.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri May 27, 2011 3:14 am

hey obi can you cut back on the flaming? I'd like to have you around for longer then a few days I find your insight useful in such situations

User1626
Padawan

Post by User1626 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:52 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:hey obi can you cut back on the flaming? I'd like to have you around for longer then a few days I find your insight useful in such situations
I'm sorry to everyone else here, but guys like that just grind my gears; I've read all of your guys' months of posting to him compressed into like the past 2 days, imagine what that feels like in such a short time-period when I see you supply the requested answer and then he changes the questions. I guess i just lost it.
It won't happen again, i'm done with him.
Sorry again to everyone else, I don't want to spoil it for everyone even if he does.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 27, 2011 4:33 am

ObiKatana wrote:

Oh sheesh, can you close the bathroom door when you're doing that?
It's GROSS.

In your case, "low end SW calcs" is defined as when you're typing with one hand-- instead of using both hands.... and typing with your feet.

Who needs Playboy when you got FAN-boi?
This is an offical warning to knock off with the insults, ObiKantana. Next time I'll add strikes to your record, and will continue to do so until you are banned. Thank you.
-Mike

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Fri May 27, 2011 4:46 am

In Star Wars, theater and planetary shields are virtually impenetrable, even with a fleet of star destroyers and a super star destroyers.
So what?
In Star Trek, a single ship with phasers can cut through it.
Yeah, of an insane asylum...which probably doesn't have all that strong of shields to begin with. Or are you really foolish enough to actually claim that their planetary shields for capital worlds are weaker than what they put on their starbases?

You know, the ones that require small fleets to engage?
Why? Having some off the cuff remark means nothing--especially when with the best of calculations ST torpedoes are at least fifty times stronger and at worst...well, over a hundred times stronger. The sheer level of firepower difference between when heavy turbolaser bolt and one photon torpedo in regards to the amount of force applied to one point of the shield in a single instant would enormous.

ObiKatana wrote:
Mith wrote:
An ounce is a unit of mass. Gravity is measured in Newtons.
Um, I know that. I am suggesting that they crush a large amount of antimatter into one space and then reduce the mass of said antimatter via their mass reduction technology. Of course, that's one explanation. I personally think of the antimatter as part of a subspace detonator of some sort, with the antimatter as a sort of booster.