Shatner Reveals Some New Trek Details

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:14 pm

For the record, I did like "Treshold". Even it's namesake series, which I found hilarious on many levels :)

And, no, Gandalf, it's the Enterprise that is widely condemned as the worst Trek series to ever grace the screen. Sorry. I mean, Voyager wasn't the one that got cancelled after four seasons and had idiot captain (who, for example, couldn't understand that bringing a dog to a meeting with sensitive alien race is a really, really stupid idea).

Anyway... seeing that we already have the worst of the Trek behind us, and with so many new great sci-fi shows around, I can't help but be cautiously optimistic about this new project :)

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:56 pm

Anyway... seeing that we already have the worst of the Trek behind us, and with so many new great sci-fi shows around,
Of course, they're all produced by everyone except Paramount (BBC's Doctor Who, Sky One and NBC's Battlestar Galactica, for example), so I wouldn't hold your breath for a decent Trek anytime soon. It jumped the shark with Best of Both Worlds; and showed promise in Season 4 of ENT, but beyond that... Star Trek is a dead horse, stop flogging it.

Note also that Battlestar Galactica and current Doctor Who are both remakes/continuations of classic sci-fi shows, but they've got one little difference to Trek; they waited somewhere in the region of 16-24 years before trying to actually continue them.

Let Trek pass into less-than-fond memory, and then try again in a couple of decades.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:36 pm

Lucas waited 16 years in between RotJ and TPM too, but the PT is crap. Trek also waited a similar time between TOS and TNG. If new Star Trek had good writing and characters like nBSG then it would do fine, but it doesn't. It also lacks the contemporary social commentary of classic science fiction, so for the most part there isn't really a point to it. As show or film can be good and interesting without this, but it isn't science fiction in a classical sense.