Luke Skywalker boards the Enterprise

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
User1601
Bridge Officer

Re: Luke Skywalker boards the Enterprise

Post by User1601 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
SpaceWizard wrote: Don't forget Charlie X walking through a force-field.
Charlie didn't walk through an active force field, he made the door emitters go away first, then walked out through the huge gap in the corrider wall where it all used to be.
Perhaps... in the original novel, however, Spock said that "he walked through it as easily as a lightbeam."

Likewise, Charlie had almost Q-like powers from the Thasians, and his power allowed him to manipulate matter and energy, but it wasn't based on such itself.
SpaceWizard wrote: In AotC, meanwhile, Obi-wan is restrained by a little bitty force-field that binds his hands and feet-- and that's under the inferior SW-level tech; meanwhile in TPM, both Obi-wan and Qui-gon are held up by the force-fields of the power-station on Naboo, when they're fighting Darth Maul.

Clearly, Jedi have no power over even the wimpiest Force-fields.
I have to agree with everyone else here. What makes you think that the force fields seen holding Obi-Wan suspended in the air are "wimpy"? -Mike
It was in a cave on on Geonosis, a relatively primitive planet which had very little in the way of shields-- again, the Jedi and Clones could waltzed right in to the planet and arena, with no stopping them.
The shield was certainly small enough that Dooku could walk around it, and it allowed clear conversation through it etc.

Compared to other shields, that indicates a rather small shield-generator, like a droid'dekkas.

Finally, all SW shields are wimpy compared to ST shields-- which is what we're talking about, isn't it?

For example, a TIE-fighter's laser could barely do more than damage R2-D2; but they could still blow away all the X-wing fighters they hit, shields or no; if they were ST shields, Starfleet would just sit there and laugh at them.
BTW, we see a very similar Jedi/Sith restraining field in the recent TCW episode "The Citadel" which was capable of holding even the very experianced and powerful Jedi Master Even Piell, so this might be a rare technology in the SW universe, but it is far from a one time only thing.
But Geonosis isn't a citadel, and TCW isn't the main SW universe.
Anakin and Obi-Wan were also stopped and held captive in ray shield containment fields on the Invisible Hand.
As I mentioned above:
Luke: "RAY SHIELDS? This shouldn't happen, I'm smarter than this!"

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

No, it wasn't a citadel, the name of the episode was "The Citadel". And TCW is part of the main universe, just like The Force Unleashed, since Lucas worked on both of them and even said that they're part of the storyline.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Khas wrote:No, it wasn't a citadel, the name of the episode was "The Citadel". And TCW is part of the main universe, just like The Force Unleashed, since Lucas worked on both of them and even said that they're part of the storyline.
Mere continuity is not automatic canonicity, i.e. the T-canon is still part of the EU.

As noted here:
The Star Wars Expanded Universe encompasses all of the officially licensed, fictional background of the Star Wars universe, outside of the six feature films produced by George Lucas. The expanded universe includes books, comic books, video games, spin-off films like Star Wars: The Clone Wars, television series, toys, and other media. This material expands and continues the stories told in the films, and excepting where it contradicts the films, is generally considered canonical.
Thus while Leland Chee has stated that T-canon is superior to C-canon, that still doesn't make it applicable to the G-canon universe.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 am

EU in the sense that they're not part of the six movies. They're still made with direct input from Lucas, however, who's said that they're part of the official storyline. And Lucas has the final say in what goes on in his universe.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:07 am

Khas wrote:EU in the sense that they're not part of the six movies. They're still made with direct input from Lucas, however, who's said that they're part of the official storyline.
Hearsay.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 am

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:09 am

Khas wrote:Oh really?
Only in the dictionary definition.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 am

Khas wrote:EU in the sense that they're not part of the six movies. They're still made with direct input from Lucas, however, who's said that they're part of the official storyline. And Lucas has the final say in what goes on in his universe.
Well, given that EU is as confused as a politician caught in middle of a lie, I seriously doubt it. Plus there is the fact that we have Lucas stating that EU is separate from his universe, and that he doesn't have anything to do with it. And his obviously non-caring attitude towards EU... I would say that you're right in everything except "official" thing. EU is as official to Star Wars as Star Trek : Armada games are official to Star Trek. That is, it uses label. But it is not canon.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 am

I was just saying that The Clone Wars and The Force Unleashed were EU in that sense only, as Lucas himself worked on them, and says that they're canon. And Lucas' word overrides anyone elses when it comes to SW.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Khas wrote:I was just saying that The Clone Wars and The Force Unleashed were EU in that sense only, as Lucas himself worked on them, and says that they're canon. And Lucas' word overrides anyone elses when it comes to SW.
Yep, I already stated that they're T-canon and C-canon, respectively.

That doesn't make them part of the movie-universe-- quite the opposite.

So in the movie-universe, Anankin didn't have a Mary-Sue Padawan before Episode III, or afterward get beaten by a Gary Stu apprentice when he becomes Darth Vader. That's only in the EU.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 pm

So, we're just supposed to ignore the fact that Lucas said that they're part of the actual storyline?

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Khas wrote:....

So, we're just supposed to ignore the fact that Lucas said that they're part of the actual storyline?
Again, that's hearsay-- i.e. you're repeating what he said, in your words... with YOUR spin on them. For example, here you say "Lucas said that they're part of the actual storyline," but above you say "the official storyline." Clearly you aren't quoting exactly, but conveniently euphemizing to arrive at the desired implication-- just like when SDN cherry-picks quotes, concludes EU Completism, and then claims that anyone who differs is "contradicting Lucas."

Let's have an exact quote, as well as a link to it-- otherwise it's WARSIE HEARSAY.

You don't think there can be 2 universes with the same storyline from the movies? For example, the rest of the EU follows the storyline from the movies too, but they ADD to it, often in wildly inconsistent ways (i.e. Sun-Crushers, Galen Marek pulling star-destroyers down from the sky using the Force-- and then creating the Rebel Alliance etc).

Same with TCW: i.e. it can be inconsistent, but still follow the same storyline.

Like if I drove to the local supermarket and back, and I'm gone 5 minutes, I could say that I drove all over the world on the way, by means of a super-warp drive-- but which broke, and left no trace.
That's pretty unlikely, so here it would be part of an imaginary universe-- i.e. it didn't happen in this one.

Likewise, the events of TCW and TFU would be pretty unlikely in the movie-universe, so they happened in the EU.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh, I know there are two universes. There's the universe Lucas worked on (the movies, TCW, TFU) and everything else. The movies still take precedence over Lucas' other works. And they take precedence over, well, everything else.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Khas wrote:Oh, I know there are two universes. There's the universe Lucas worked on (the movies, TCW, TFU) and everything else.
I meant in the REAL world, not the little one you inhabit.

I also notice you didn't provide an exact quote for Lucas, so I have to assume YOU DON'T HAVE ONE.

Keep on wankin'!

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:50 pm