The UFP and The Dominion Vs the GE

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: The UFP and The Dominion Vs the GE

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:35 pm

SIX MONTHS!
It took you six months to reply to my post and that is all you come back with?
Repeats of old arguments, still with no evidence?

Let's go over this, shall we?
SWST wrote:Far worse; a redshirt crew of dozens consistently get their asses kicked by some random intruders that get on board the ship, and the tactics they use are so bad...well, it makes the stormtroopers look competent in comparison. At least stormtroopers had sophisticated equipment and the ability to take cover.
Prove it, you dishonest debater, you!
Stromtroopers line in a entrence when coming in (Tantive IV invasion) instead of taking cover in the doorway, shooting at the rebels shooting back, and using actual grenades to take down the majority of their opponents...
Stormtroopers can't stop 2 guys (a farmer and a smuggler) from taking over a cell block with their most important prisoner...
Stormtroopers get owned by Teddy Bears and their simple traps, or in combat (RotJ, Endor fight)...
Sophisticated equipment?
What sophisticated equipment?
Helmets that can't be adjusted to a new user ("I can't see in this thing", Luke Skywalker, ANH)?
Scanners so big you need to carry them in a crate (MF scanning on the DS, ANH)?

Yeah, Redshirts are less competent than Stormtroopers...
Try again...
I already provided an example; Voyager Resistance. You should also be well aware of klingon blade weapons tactics.
Please describe the incident, and how they could have performed better...
And more importantly, show me an example of Stormtroopers actually performing better...
Redshirts get beaten all the time by comparatively medieval tactics, weapons and troopers, it's just that it happens so often that any fuss is minimal, and the people killing the redshirts are humanoid and fully grown rather than "teddy bears", and that makes all the difference in the shallow and superficial eyes of pro Trek debaters.
No, it makes a difference in the eyes of intelligent and logical debaters...
If I tell you I'm a better fighter than you, and my only feat is to beat a 7 year old child into submission, while yours is to lose in 3 rounds to a 6'4'' 285 pounds MMA champion, guess who people will assume is the better fighter?
Not me...
So yeah, guys who get beaten by and beat fully grown humanoids, who often have superior strength, use energy weapons and not cheap bows and arrows, are superior to idiots who get beaten by small Teddy Bears with primitive weapons...
Who'se got the shallow and superficial eyes, really?
Because all of your examples are irrelevant to the context of hacking?
These examples are relevent to show that the boy in question is a genious, and can do whatever he wants, including hacking SW computers which an Astrodroid, made for navigating stars, can do easily...
And ST does have security on its computers:
It is called a "security lockout":
A security lockout is a safety procedure that is performed when it is unwanted that someone can gain access to a computer system.
When renegade Ferengi hijacked the Enterprise-D in 2369, Commander William T. Riker ordered a security lockout of all command functions. (TNG: "Rascals")

As for Voyager, the pilot states Voyager was damaged, every few episodes, they mention needing to find new energy sources, and they even rationed Replicator use because of this...
This clearly points to an energy shortage for Voyager...
Now, if you have energy shortages, then you won't go at your maximum speeds, when you know more speed requires more energy...
Evidence needed.
Voyager was attacked by the Kazon, the Vadwaur, the Krenim, the Borg, the Hirogen, etc...
Where would they be finding replacement parts, you think?
At the nearest Starfleet service center?
They most likely made them, which means planetary ressources, and then Replicators, which means energy use, which means, with their low reserves, lower speeds...
Those detours lasted...what, a few days?
How about a few weeks, if not more?
Hey, 525,600 C is almost 1/20th of Star Wars hyperdrive speeds!
How about you prove it with some calculations, like the kind I gave you?
Oh, but you don't need to, here, I'll give you a few, all curtesy of our friend 2046's site:
"'Tell me I'm wrong, but I don't think an Interdictor could cross ninety-one light-years in four hours -- not on its best day.'
'You are correct,' Gant said, reaching out and collecting the recorder." [ "Tyrant's Test" p. 13 ]
That's 23 LY an hour, for 200 000c...
Half the speed I showed you...
"It took the Chimaera nearly five days at its point four cruising speed to cover the three hundred fifty light-years between Myrkr and Wayland." [ "Heir to the Empire", p. 39 ]
That's 70 LY per day, or 25 550c...
" It wasn't good. Luke's reverse-triggering of the acceleration compensator had caused an unanticipated feedback surge into both hyperdrive motivators - not enough to fry them on the spot, but scorching them badly enough to cause sudden failure ten minutes into their escape. At the Point Four the ship had been doing at the time, that translated into approximately half a light-year of distance." [ "Heir to the Empire", p. 187-188 ]
That's 3 LY in one hour, or 26 280c...

So, how about you come up with some hard numbers?
You mean the official warp chart made by Paramount, which clearly shows that most sustainable warp speeds do not break 10,000 C?
You mean the chart that is constantly being proven wrong by the movies and shows?

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have expected you to reply with actual evidence...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:51 pm

maybe it's time to start the infraction count up again there boss man?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:maybe it's time to start the infraction count up again there boss man?
Why?
Last time I acted on it, I was overturned...
Plus, he did come back to an old argument which was left pending, possibly in the hopes of bringing some evidence for his claims...
Even though he didn't...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Praeothmin wrote:[

Why?

wait wait..things are this bad..that you aren't even bothering any more but your gonna get mad when I let the guy have it and do what every else is thinking about?

oh come on boss...that's just unfair you get to be like spacey in that crummy movie with Thora Birch and I'm stuck having to tow the line..c'moonnn

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:[

Why?

wait wait..things are this bad..that you aren't even bothering any more but your gonna get mad when I let the guy have it and do what every else is thinking about?

oh come on boss...that's just unfair you get to be like spacey in that crummy movie with Thora Birch and I'm stuck having to tow the line..c'moonnn
You're right, this time... ;)

SWST, for bringing up the argument of SW FTL speeds being superior to ST without any evidence or calculations, again, even after you have been requested to post evidence for your claims, you get a warning...

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:50 am

I would be understating by a great deal if I stated that I am angry at your insistence tha your post should take priority over my personal life to the point of issuing a ban for not respending within 24 hours of your post, as if the best thing you feel that I should do on a Friday is to reply to your post. Nor do I appreciate your handling with Breentai, which is, with minimal exaggeration:

Hey, I agree with you that swst is dishonest because it took him over a day to respond to one of my posts on a Friday, but if you keep on harassing him, I will have to warn you so as to maintain impartiality. If you stop with this, together we can single him out and I will be justified in banning him for "trolling and dishonesty" wink wink.

You say the above subetly. Nowhere do you point out the immoral actions of Breentai as being worse than anything you have accused me of, nowhere do you mention his responses to my requests for evidence being:

lol no -breetai

But this is something we can discuss privately; we need not derail this thread.

I will respond to your post ASAP, as my computer is being used for something and I am using my iPod. I will say that your quotes regarding hyperdrive speeds can easily be debunked with some math and logic.

Hint: remember how Obi Wan traveled to Kamino, specifically stated to be in the outer rim? Or how senators from across the galaxy spanning republic regularly convene, with RotS mentioning emergency sessions existing? Plug your hyperdrive speeds in and determine how long Obi Wan must have took to get to Kamino, or your average senator to go to a meeting.

What you'll find is that Padme spent all of her time between TPM and AotC just traveling to and from Coruscant with meetings, Obi Wan spent a year or two in his small starfighter traveling to Kamino and Anakin spent a year just in a one way trip to Coruscant, meaning that he was already 13 by the time Obi Wan took him in, yet somehow did not age or mature noticeably in that timeframe. It also means that it took Anakin a year to find his mother relative to Obi Wan's plotline, and that the geonosians waited for a year to try and execute the heroes as Mace Windu gathered some Jedi.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:37 am

what immoral actions? I've never lied never once made any conclusions not based on evidence I've argued all of your claims..and when reason failed with you..pushed you

oh and to your last bit..it's sickening that you'd accuse me of being in cahoots with preao and it's also functionally ignorant and a complete lie with no basis in reality wanna know why?

because I've bashed him harder then I have JMS...and mike for his inactions with you, you know this..in fact its impossible for you not too seeing as I am very clear about how i feel about things i feel things about

I find your last bit especially hilarious because preao asked me to stop fucking with you and my exact response was more or less "LOL no"

so yeah go find a better persona for your nonsese conspiracy theory..

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
I will respond to your post ASAP, as my computer is being used for something and I am using my iPod. I will say that your quotes regarding hyperdrive speeds can easily be debunked with some math and logic.

Hint: remember how Obi Wan traveled to Kamino, specifically stated to be in the outer rim? Or how senators from across the galaxy spanning republic regularly convene, with RotS mentioning emergency sessions existing? Plug your hyperdrive speeds in and determine how long Obi Wan must have took to get to Kamino, or your average senator to go to a meeting.

What you'll find is that Padme spent all of her time between TPM and AotC just traveling to and from Coruscant with meetings, Obi Wan spent a year or two in his small starfighter traveling to Kamino and Anakin spent a year just in a one way trip to Coruscant, meaning that he was already 13 by the time Obi Wan took him in, yet somehow did not age or mature noticeably in that timeframe. It also means that it took Anakin a year to find his mother relative to Obi Wan's plotline, and that the geonosians waited for a year to try and execute the heroes as Mace Windu gathered some Jedi.
I'm pretty sure Senators rarely leave the capital to the point they have almost nothing to do with their constituents.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am

Your conspiracy theory is not worthy of a reply, so I'll get down to this:

First, you'll have to find out the size of the SW galaxy (and prove it is so), then you'll have to provide timeframes and distances (with calculations and evidence), and then finally you'll be able to calculate speeds...
But first, I strongly suggest you read this thread...

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:what immoral actions? I've never lied never once made any conclusions not based on evidence I've argued all of your claims..and when reason failed with you..pushed you
You claimed this:
with weaponry that has has a range of a few hundred meters as backed up by the
primary canon that over rules everything you said in your post..that
Go to 4:16 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMvadAFqLQ

Naturally, you will try and handwave away your attempt to prove that the massive gaps of space in between the ships in the distance are really just a few hundred meters, but you will fail.

Your conspiracy theory is not worthy of a reply, so I'll get down to this:
Because you're using the most classic response in the book; say that somebody's post is "not worth a reply", which translates to "I cannot justify expecting you to place MY post over your free time on a Friday, so I'll just not apologize and claim that it's not worth responding to, dismissing it all as a "conspiracy".

But again, we can discuss this more in private.

First, you'll have to find out the size of the SW galaxy (and prove it is so), then you'll have to provide timeframes and distances (with calculations and evidence), and then finally you'll be able to calculate speeds...
There are two disputed Star Wars galaxy sizes: 120,000 LY and 10,000 LY.

Let's check both of them:

Padme notes that Mace Windu and his Jedi friends are halfway across the galaxy, and that they'll never get there in time. However, eventually Mace Windu does arrive, but how long would that take?

It's either 50,000 LY or 5,000 LY he would have had to travel. Using your 25,000 C as a figure, for example, it would have taken Mace about 2 years or about 2 months respectively.

So based on your C canon hyperdrive speeds, 2 months or 2 years elapsed in between Obi Wan being captured.

On to senators. We know that senators regularly convene in the Galactic Republic, in Coruscant. Let's say that there's a senator representing one of the star systems on the other side of the galaxy. Since Coruscant is in the core, this would take him either 2 years or 2 months to get to Coruscant, again based on your calculations.

So then are you postulating that a senator has to spend the vast majority of his/her time in office just traveling in what is likely a small starship to and fro? Who would want to be a senator? And how could there possibly be emergency sessions in Congress, which is what is mentioned in RotS?

Ok. Obi Wan and Kamino. So it's specifically mentioned to be in the Outer Rim. Obi Wan would, once again, have to travel 2 months or 2 years to get there. Are you honestly postulating that Obi Wan spent 2 months/2 years sitting in that small, cramped starfighter of his? Where did he get his food from?

Anakin in TPM would have been 13 or so by now based on some of your quotes.

Then take into account TCW, and the various moving around to various planets across the galaxy; our heroes would have been old men by now if it took them 2 years to get to every last planet that the plot requires, which begs the question as to how the CW lasted for just 3 years. Or the Original Trilogy, where our heroes travel from Tatooine to where Alderaan once was to Yavin to Hoth to Dagobah to Cloud City; by your calculations, Luke would have been in his thirties by ROTJ!

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:11 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
with weaponry that has has a range of a few hundred meters as backed up by the
primary canon that over rules everything you said in your post..that
and considering at no point did any cap ship open fire on another on screen until they where point blank trading broad sides in a dozen meter space...I'm absolutely correct
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Go to 4:16 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMvadAFqLQ

Naturally, you will try and handwave away your attempt to prove that the massive gaps of space in between the ships in the distance are really just a few hundred meters, but you will fail.
failure? I've never lost a debate to you ever..but that aside again I fail to see how a statement about "engaging at point blank range" which again is supported by the fact that at no point prior did any capital ship shoot at another..through out the entire battle until that point and the one time we saw it was literally no more then a hundred plus feet apart

Because you're using the most classic response in the book; say that somebody's post is "not worth a reply", which translates to "I cannot justify expecting you to place MY post over your free time on a Friday, so I'll just not apologize and claim that it's not worth responding to, dismissing it all as a "conspiracy".

no because you have no proof backing up your assertion...it's very clear to any one with basic reading comprehension that my relationship with preao has been..barely luke warm and that's being generous

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Praeothmin wrote:SIX MONTHS!
It took you six months to reply to my post and that is all you come back with?
Repeats of old arguments, still with no evidence?

Let's go over this, shall we?
Praeothmin, I am responding to your post. Given that you warned me for failing to respond to your post within 24 hours of you posting it, for fairness and avoiding a blatant double standard could you please respond to this before this time tomorrow?

Just kidding. I may not be able to respond to your post until Monday. Hopefully you'll understand that starfleet jedi is lower on my priority list than, well, lots of things.
Prove it, you dishonest debater, you!
So you ban me for telling somebody to improve their grammar, but calling someone a dishonest debater is less insulting?
Stromtroopers line in a entrence when coming in (Tantive IV invasion) instead of taking cover in the doorway,
Witness the amazing accuracy of starfleet personnel:

shooting at the rebels shooting back,
...are you claiming that the stormtroopers were not firing at the Rebels? Clearly you weren't watching the same movie.
and using actual grenades to take down the majority of their opponents...
Oh really? Show me one instance in which anybody in Star Trek ever uses a grenade.
Stormtroopers can't stop 2 guys (a farmer and a smuggler) from taking over a cell block with their most important prisoner...
And the entire crew of a Romulan ship was outgunned by a 60 year old. Notice how those 3 people; you forgot Chewbacca; got in through the use of deception and the element of surprise, and then had to quickly turn tail and run after they rescued Leia. Meanwhile, Picard single handedly defeats the entire armed crew of the ship in a head on fight.
Stormtroopers get owned by Teddy Bears and their simple traps, or in combat (RotJ, Endor fight)...
Funny how you claim this, yet the Ewoks:

1. Had the element of surprise
2. Had knowledge of the terrain
3. Had the help of Rebel commandos
4. Had the advantage in numbers
5. Had the high ground for the opening salvo
6. Yet were still losing after the initial shock until Chewbacca hijacked an AT-ST

On the contrary, are you honestly going to claim that Star Trek does not ever show redshirt being overwhelmed by klingons in melee combat?
Sophisticated equipment?
What sophisticated equipment?
Helmets that can't be adjusted to a new user ("I can't see in this thing", Luke Skywalker, ANH)?
Does ease of use have much to do with this topic? Redshirts have no armor, no helmets, no HUD...stormtroopers do have all of these.
Scanners so big you need to carry them in a crate (MF scanning on the DS, ANH)?
You mean scanners that can track ships going at millions of C and jamming equipment/shields so powerful they distort space-time?
Yeah, Redshirts are less competent than Stormtroopers...
Try again...
You see, I'm not claiming that stormtroopers are competent. I am saying that while they may not be good shots, they do have advanced equipment and some basic semblance of cover. Redshirts have inferior equipment, are no better shots and use tactics that rival the movie starship trooper MI in competence.
Please describe the incident, and how they could have performed better...
And more importantly, show me an example of Stormtroopers actually performing better...
As I recall; unfortunately I cannot find Voyager: Resistance online, Janeway and her crew are jumped on by armed men with phasers in what appears to be body armor, but Janeway and her crew take them out with ease. There are also examples, like the Siege of AR 558 where Sisko is being charged by jem hadar soldiers, whom engage him in hand to hand combat.

As for stormtroopers doing better, do you ever see any non Force using characters try and engage them in hand to hand combat with a few exceptions (ie Chewbacca in ESB) that involve specific circumstances?
No, it makes a difference in the eyes of intelligent and logical debaters...
If I tell you I'm a better fighter than you, and my only feat is to beat a 7 year old child into submission, while yours is to lose in 3 rounds to a 6'4'' 285 pounds MMA champion, guess who people will assume is the better fighter?
Not me...
So yeah, guys who get beaten by and beat fully grown humanoids, who often have superior strength, use energy weapons and not cheap bows and arrows, are superior to idiots who get beaten by small Teddy Bears with primitive weapons...
Who'se got the shallow and superficial eyes, really?
Did you just claim that Ewoks are weak?

They were lifting 30 pound rocks over their heads and hurling them! They also easily lifted C3PO into the air.

Also, in the context of what was happening, strength had very little relevance.

These examples are relevent to show that the boy in question is a genious, and can do whatever he wants, including hacking SW computers which an Astrodroid, made for navigating stars, can do easily...
And ST does have security on its computers:
It is called a "security lockout":
A security lockout is a safety procedure that is performed when it is unwanted that someone can gain access to a computer system.
When renegade Ferengi hijacked the Enterprise-D in 2369, Commander William T. Riker ordered a security lockout of all command functions. (TNG: "Rascals")

As for Voyager, the pilot states Voyager was damaged, every few episodes, they mention needing to find new energy sources, and they even rationed Replicator use because of this...
This clearly points to an energy shortage for Voyager...
Now, if you have energy shortages, then you won't go at your maximum speeds, when you know more speed requires more energy...
Again, there is no evidence that Wesley was a competent hacker, and if he was, Picard should have taken precautions. We know from that episode with the stock market dude that there are no safeguards on the ship's communications devices, and we know from Voyager Deadlock that Janeway is too stupid to change the ship's access codes after a spy was uncovered.

Voyager was attacked by the Kazon, the Vadwaur, the Krenim, the Borg, the Hirogen, etc...
Where would they be finding replacement parts, you think?
At the nearest Starfleet service center?
They most likely made them, which means planetary ressources, and then Replicators, which means energy use, which means, with their low reserves, lower speeds...
Which might have merit if the Voyager's performance downgraded over the series, but it didn't. If the Voyager really was low on power, why was Janeway so eager to stop at every random anomaly?
How about a few weeks, if not more?
So then deduct a few weeks. Or even a year. Unless if you deduct is so much that the Voyager only spent a few hours travel time, you're still getting a figure massively in favor of Star Wars.
How about you prove it with some calculations, like the kind I gave you?
Oh, but you don't need to, here, I'll give you a few, all curtesy of our friend 2046's site:
"'Tell me I'm wrong, but I don't think an Interdictor could cross ninety-one light-years in four hours -- not on its best day.'
'You are correct,' Gant said, reaching out and collecting the recorder." [ "Tyrant's Test" p. 13 ]
That's 23 LY an hour, for 200 000c...
Half the speed I showed you...
Which would mean that Obi Wan spent, depending on your figures for SW galaxy size, a few weeks to a few years in his small starfighter going to Kamino, and that senators, who regularly convene in meetings and sometimes even call for emergency meetings, spend most of their time in office just traveling via hyperspace. Oh, and the geonosians waited for several months to try and execute Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme.

That's 70 LY per day, or 25 550c...
Which would mean that Obi Wan spent years in his small starfighter traveling to Kamino. I wonder where he went to the bathroom? Or that senators would spent years just traveling to an average meeting, and that Han Solo and the gang spent several years just inside the Falcon to get to Alderaan. Thinking of that, Han must have been paid too little, if he did indeed get paid!
" It wasn't good. Luke's reverse-triggering of the acceleration compensator had caused an unanticipated feedback surge into both hyperdrive motivators - not enough to fry them on the spot, but scorching them badly enough to cause sudden failure ten minutes into their escape. At the Point Four the ship had been doing at the time, that translated into approximately half a light-year of distance." [ "Heir to the Empire", p. 187-188 ]
That's 3 LY in one hour, or 26 280c...
See above. See how your figures all imply that the heroes and villains spent ridiculous amounts of time traveling via hyperspace? That Anakin and Obi Wan would have been middle aged by RotS simply by traveling around?
So, how about you come up with some hard numbers?
"The vast rebel fleet hung poised in space, ready to strike. It was hundreds of light-years from the Death Star --- but in hyperspace, all time was a moment, and the deadliness of an attack was measured not in distance but in precision."

In this time, Luke was transported from Endor to the Death Star. This takes what...a few minutes? We know that SW ships can achieve orbit in a matter of seconds, or minutes if you so incline for this post, so therefore, even if it took 15 minutes for them to transport Luke to the Death Star, and the Rebel fleet was only 200 light years; the minimal interpretation of hundreds, away, since it arrived after Luke was on the death star, that means that the Rebel fleet was moving at around 5 million C.

Vader called bounty hunters from various parts of the galaxy to meet him in the obscure outer rim Hoth asteroid belt. Even if it took them all 2 days to get there; increasing this number increases the damage the ISDs' shields took in the belt, and also makes less sense as Vader would have expected the Falcon to have been long gone had he waited to long, would imply speeds in excess of 3 million to 30 million C depending on the SW galaxy size you use.

If hyperdrive were not faster than warp drive, it would have taken Obi Wan several years to get to Kamino, and Anakin would have been in his twenties by the end of TPM.

]

You mean the chart that is constantly being proven wrong by the movies and shows?

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have expected you to reply with actual evidence...
Let's see:

PICARD: That's not possible. Data, what is our distance traveled?

DATA: Two million -- seven hundred thousand light years.

GEORDI: And I calculate that at maximum warp, sir ... it would take over three hundred years to get home.

That calculates out to about 9000 C. Compare that to the consistent showings of >million C for hyperdrive, and you're in a losing position.

For some more context:

GEORDI: Message on this has been transmitted to Starfleet, sir.

DATA: Which, traveling subspace, they should receive in fifty-one years, ten months...

They were about 2.6 million light years away, so the speed of subspace communication is about 52,000 C. What does this mean?

Yes, Star Wars TRAVEL speeds are greater than Star Trek COMMUNICATION speeds. You're pretty screwed if your enemy can run faster than you can shout.

More:

KOSINSKI: In three centuries of space flight, we have charted just eleven percent of our galaxy.

Hey, the Federation has charted 11% of the Milky Way. We know from AotC that the Galactic Republic has charted 100% of the Star Wars galaxy.

More:

TASHA (over comm): Excuse the interruption, Captain, but this may be worth it. We're now receiving a signal from the probe.

PICARD: We'll take it here, please.

(Viewscreen shows forcefield being projected from planet, holding both the Enterprise and the Ferengi vessel in place)

GEORDI: Incredible!

RIKER: That's our mysterious "something," Captain. It is a forcefield of some kind...

PICARD: Reaching up from the planet surface. What amazing power! How does the legend describe the end of the Tkon Empire?

DATA: By their Sun going supernova, sir.

Picard is amazed by a forcefield that can wrap around a ship from the planet surface. Oh wow, notice how this is how the Death Star 2 was protected?

More:

WESLEY: Sir! You'll soon be getting an intruder alert!

RIKER: What? Wesley, if you've something to report-

WESLEY: If you'll scan heading four-four mark one-six-three, Lieutenant, you'll find-

TASHA: Intruder alert, sir.

GEORDI: I've got something, sir. Very distant.

WESLEY: It's an old style starship, Constitution Class, heading this way under impulse power, sir.

RIKER: Says who?

PICARD: Carry on. Answer the first officer's question.

WESLEY: Uh... says the long distance sensors, sir. I was in Engineering, playing around with boosting sensor output ...

(The Ferengi beam over, there is a brief conversation)

TASHA: Do you want the arriving vessel on Main Viewer, sir? It is only a thousand kilometers away now...

Hey, the long range sensors of the Enterprise picked up a ship from 1000 km away, but did not pick it up when it was >1000 km away.

Here:

DATA (describing the mythical Tkon Empire): Again, only legend, but it describes the Empire as impossibly huge and powerful.

RIKER: Surrounded by stars whose planets formed its defensive system?

DATA: Correct, sir. Outposts. And the planet below was possibly one of them.

Data is amazed by the size of the Tkon Empire, despite the fact that they were wiped out by a single supernova.

In Star Trek Generations, the only ship in range of an anomaly 3 light years away from Sol is the Enterprise. This is despite the fact that Sol is a central solar system of the Federation.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:51 am

in..generations..in generations

post Dominion war..don't be silly

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:20 am

Hey, the long range sensors of the Enterprise picked up a ship from 1000 km away, but did not pick it up when it was >1000 km away.
Don't be silly. They got it ON MAIN VIEWER on 1000 km, your dialogue gives no indication of how far it was when they picked it up.
Compare that to the consistent showings of >million C for hyperdrive, and you're in a losing position.
Constant as in...?
but calling someone a dishonest debater is less insulting?
It is pure statement of a fact, without insulting words etc., so I guess it can pass.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:58 pm

SWST wrote:Using your 25,000 C as a figure, for example, it would have taken Mace about 2 years or about 2 months respectively.
That is not my figure, that is one figure I found doing your work...
Just as in ST, SW speeds are varied and range from a few thousand c to over a million c, still not 20 times the fastest speeds in ST...
There are two disputed Star Wars galaxy sizes: 120,000 LY and 10,000 LY.
Not really, I don't believe the 120 000 LY one, so I'll only use the 10 000 LY size...
Padme notes that Mace Windu and his Jedi friends are halfway across the galaxy, and that they'll never get there in time. However, eventually Mace Windu does arrive, but how long would that take?
Do the maps really show that Mace did indeed need to travel "hlaf the Galaxy", or was this distance just hyperbole?
How much time elapsed between his departure and his arrival?
So then are you postulating that a senator has to spend the vast majority of his/her time in office just traveling in what is likely a small starship to and fro?
No, I'm postulating that Senators, as seen in AotC and TCW, live on Coruscant year long during their tenure in Senate, as shown by Amidala's appartment on Coruscant in AotC...
They only travel when on vacation, so some may take vacations on their homeworld when they have weeks available to them, to account for travelling...
And again, AotC shows Tattoine and Naboo less than a Parsec away, so less than 3.26 LY away from one another, travelled perhaps in less than an hour (28 557c) or more...
Given that you warned me for failing to respond to your post within 24 hours of you posting it,
Nope, I warned you for making unsupported statements, again, as you often do...
So you ban me for telling somebody to improve their grammar, but calling someone a dishonest debater is less insulting?
I apologize if I offended you, I thought the phrasing would convey the joke ("you dishonest debater, you"), so it it seemed disrespectful, I'm sorry...
Witness the amazing accuracy of starfleet personnel:
Yes, do indeed...
Those hits are at least a hundred yards away...
are you claiming that the stormtroopers were not firing at the Rebels? Clearly you weren't watching the same movie.
What I'm saying is, instead of charging like idiots through the door, they could have fired first using the doorframe as protection, then, once they had cleared the corridor, they could have begun coming in, with a lot less losses...
Oh really? Show me one instance in which anybody in Star Trek ever uses a grenade.
The MACO in ENT used grenades, as you can see at 3:11 here...
But I agree we don't see grenades used in DS9 or TNG.
Which just means they're like Stormtroopers, they don't use grenades...
And the entire crew of a Romulan ship was outgunned by a 60 year old. Notice how those 3 people; you forgot Chewbacca; got in through the use of deception and the element of surprise, and then had to quickly turn tail and run after they rescued Leia. Meanwhile, Picard single handedly defeats the entire armed crew of the ship in a head on fight.
Ok, so you bring in the element of surprise on SW's side, but you conveniently forget it for Picard?
Plus, Picard has beaten tougher opponents than Solo and Farmboy Luke as of ANH...
He's shown in the TNG episode where he's the only crewmember left when people try to steal trilithium that he knows guerilla warfare very well (in "starship mine"), is very athletic, and can kick ass, taking on, at 60, two Klingons, and three Nausicans when he was young...
Again, Stormtroopers are not shown as better than Redshirts...
Yet were still losing after the initial shock until Chewbacca hijacked an AT-ST
Not this bullshit again?
Prove it...
The Ewoks, prior the Chewbacca taking over, had destroyed two AT-STs, one crushed between two logs, one tripped over and crushed by rolling logs, and at that point, the Ewoks had only 4 casualties...
are you honestly going to claim that Star Trek does not ever show redshirt being overwhelmed by klingons in melee combat?
Of course not, Klingons are big and strong and know how to fight...
You mean scanners that can track ships going at millions of C and jamming equipment/shields so powerful they distort space-time?
What?
You're trying to clain the cumbersome equipment used to scan the MF on the DS in ANH can track ships in Hyperspace or create massive jamming now?
And once again, you have the unsubstanciated claim of millions of c for SW ships...
Redshirts have inferior equipment, are no better shots and use tactics that rival the movie starship trooper MI in competence.
Prove!
It!
There are also examples, like the Siege of AR 558 where Sisko is being charged by jem hadar soldiers, whom engage him in hand to hand combat.
You mean the episode where they have a firefight in a cave, and only resort to hand to hand once the Jem'Hadar are within close combat range?
They were lifting 30 pound rocks over their heads and hurling them! They also easily lifted C3PO into the air.
My thin 14 year old nephew can lift 30 pound rocks over his head, and I can lift C3PO with 1 finger (see, since you provided no numbers on 3PO's weight, I can claim what I want)...
Also, in the context of what was happening, strength had very little relevance.
You mean in the context of an armored guy getting knocked out by the weak impact of a cheap spear made by a weak creature?
Yup, Strength does indeed have relevance...
Your lack of evidence, however, has none...
there is no evidence that Wesley was a competent hacker, and if he was, Picard should have taken precautions.
Oh, in that case, there is no evidence R2 is a competent hacker, the fact he hacks in the Empire's systems only means they are weak...
See how easy it is to make unsupported claims?
why was Janeway so eager to stop at every random anomaly?
Now that is a very good question...
I've always felt she was an idiot for acting the way she did, and it was posited on DITL that the only reason she got her post was because of her father, Admiral Janeway...
you're still getting a figure massively in favor of Star Wars.
Nope, different context:
Voyager was lost in unknown lands, while all SW travels are in known territory, at least a lot more known than the Delta Quadrant was for Voyager...
After all, didn't the Librarian tell Obi-Wan: "If it's not in the archives, it doesn't exist!"...
She was wrong, but the maps do show that the SW Galaxy is well travelled and well mapped...
See how your figures all imply that the heroes and villains spent ridiculous amounts of time traveling via hyperspace? That Anakin and Obi Wan would have been middle aged by RotS simply by traveling around?
Nope, the one figure which you cling to maybe, but not all the examples...
"The vast rebel fleet hung poised in space, ready to strike. It was hundreds of light-years from the Death Star --- but in hyperspace, all time was a moment, and the deadliness of an attack was measured not in distance but in precision."

In this time, Luke was transported from Endor to the Death Star. This takes what...a few minutes? We know that SW ships can achieve orbit in a matter of seconds, or minutes if you so incline for this post, so therefore, even if it took 15 minutes for them to transport Luke to the Death Star, and the Rebel fleet was only 200 light years; the minimal interpretation of hundreds, away, since it arrived after Luke was on the death star, that means that the Rebel fleet was moving at around 5 million C.
Except, that the movie shows us different...
We see the fleet enter Hyperspace after 3PO says that there is a secret entrance "on the other side of the ridge", the one we see far away when they are scoping the place...
Since no one on foot will go fast in the forrest, it could have easily have taken them 3-4 hours to go around the place, meaning the fleet gets out of Hyperspace after 3-4 hours, or around 440 000c...
Still no millions of c...