The UFP and The Dominion Vs the GE

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: The UFP and The Dominion Vs the GE

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:33 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Could you please repost a few of those arguments? I will happily respond to them.
You already did, and I posted links to the relevent pages in the old "Battle of Endor with trek ships". I note that no one here has any real trouble following links, maybe clarification on a few details. As I also note, that is one of the earliest threads where people started seriously calling you out for dishonesty and trolling, or for ignoring evidence and arguements.
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:ST EU isn't canon. SW EU is.
This is true, but it makes a point that this is common in many art styles, especially where an artist is rushed to meet a monthly or bi-weekly deadline.
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:...or the fireball's really large.
So? They seem tall, but not very wide. The planet's visible atmosphere is too thick. If we adjusted our perceptions to account for the atmosphere, the planet's curvature would look much flatter that it is. At best, given the low height of the mushroom cloud, you can achive a Tsar Bomba level yeild from all of this. The explosions aren't more than a 50-60 km tall based on the atmosphere.
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Mike, there have been plenty of pro Trek debaters; possibly you yourself, who have cited comic book panels in both the ICS thread and various others as evidence of SW firepower being inferior.

If you find that comic book visuals are inaccurate and overexaggerated, fine. But please do not bring them up yourself. And this also calls into question why the visuals of TCW are analyzed as if they are completely accurate, even though Obi Wan's facial strucutre is fundamentally different from that of the films, for example.

But whether or not those fireballs are accurate, there is no reasonable doubt that SW weapons can render planets uninhabitable. Whether or not you feel that they can burn the crust off a planet is more disputed. But rendering it uninhabitable, which is what is required for this scenario to work? Modern nuclear arsenal's are almost sufficient.
No, you are being a bit dishonest here. Yes, from time-to-time people bring up an EU comic showing less than capable firepower, but they that tie into the higher canon (G or T-level canon) or are using it to counter other claims of EU firepower.

And no one here that I know of seriously does not claim that SW ships can't render a planet uninhabitable, just that they do so using broadsides of megaton-range firepower, much like what we see in the CCG card you keep linking to over much longer spans of time than you and others claim it takes. I don't see gigatons of firepower in those shots as you claim. I see maybe tens of megatons, if even that because it takes nuclear mushroom clouds several seconds to develop and reach high altitude like that in Real Life. And yet, given the yeilds you would have us believe, we see no thousands of km wide shockwaves, no burning landscape around vast areas around the mushroom clouds, etc.

Also, like it or not, even going by Leeland Chee's canon hierarchy, T-level canon still trumps all others, except G-canon, and George Lucas has trumped Chee by stating unequivocably that TCW is a part of the highest canon. Furthermore, the depiction of the characters has little to do with that of the ships and space battles. Yeah sure, it's not quite as well rendered as the movie CGI, but it is still good enough. Show me where the movies' battles explicitly contradict the TCW ones. The thing is, they don't, and we even see the same sub-kiloton explosions like in RoTS threaten a Republic Venator cruiser in one episode. Worse yet, that Venator is even deeper in a planetary atmosphere than the RoTS ships were.

So we're not seeing gigatons of firepower outside the Death Stars in the highest canon, just maybe kilotons and low megatons, and that's being very generous.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: The UFP and The Dominion Vs the GE

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
SWST wrote:ST EU isn't canon. SW EU is.
This is true, but it makes a point that this is common in many art styles, especially where an artist is rushed to meet a monthly or bi-weekly deadline.
Plus, lower Canon like comics are waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy under the movies or TCW in terms of Canonical value...