The 1.5 megaton myth

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Picard
Starship Captain

Re: The 1.5 megaton myth

Post by Picard » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:08 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Several very, very serious problems with this (aside from stating as fact a calculation in which the entire thread is based on):

1. infinite lattice of shining hairlines that interlock planetoids and track erratic spirals of glowing gnats [starfighters]

Since when are HTLs' RoF high enough so that it could create an "infinite lattice", and since when do they target starfighters?

2. You assume figurative vaporization for no reason at all. Furthermore, you attempt to derive an upper scientific limit from a figurative prose.

3. You assume that a SW small town is the same size as a modern small town using Appeal to Ignorance.
1. infinite lattice is disproven by movies. And can you provide entire quote? Is it even about HTL or you're BS-ing (again)?

2. Figurative vaporization is only thing that is logical there, from pure form of text and its usage.
3. First, small SW town, only one seen in canon, is even smaller than some modern small towns. Second, quote is directed at reader, meaning it will use terminology that is familiar to reader, not some in-universe character.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Picard wrote:
Mr.O wrote:Because that's the only logical conclusion one can get, genius.
You write EU and Trek in the same pseudo sentence (without punctuation btw).

EU that supports Trek means, in my book, EU that supports Trek against SW. A way to say that Trek's EU supports Trek against SW (and its own EU).
Boy, do I have to spill everything for you?
Actually, "EU that supports Trek" can easily mean "Star Wars EU that supports Trekkie claims on Star Wars firepower/x/y/etc".
Since he used EU for both, although you are correct, I thought it was more logical that he talked about each universe's respective EU.
Now, since he didn't even bother to make a full sentence and use punctuation... I'm not going to waste more time on this.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Now, since he didn't even bother to make a full sentence and use punctuation... I'm not going to waste more time on this.
What a laughably pathetic cop-out.

You had absolutely no issue with debating with Breetai, who (practically) never capitalizes his sentences at all. You expect me to use "punctuation" in a list? It is you who is using improper grammar, Breetai. Not me.

This is what you should have stated:
I'm sorry, I misinterpreted. I thought that you meant "Trek EU", but now I can see that it clearly means "EU that supports Trekkie claims" (since not all Trek EU would support Trek, and vice versa, so the two don't correlate). However, you are still incorrect in your reasoning because..."
You know, how like I apologized/acknowledged you for misreading the AoTC "thousands" quote, and the "missiles 2.5 seconds" quote.

1. infinite lattice is disproven by movies.
If that were true, it would mean that the quote is debunked, since the "vaporize small towns" reference is referring to those apparently non-existent lattices of light. In which case I would invite you to explain why you list this quote as the basis for your main calculation on SW firepower.
And can you provide entire quote? Is it even about HTL or you're BS-ing (again)?
@bold: clearly you are very confused as to what we are talking about. My entire point is that, contrary to the claim of you and darkstar, the quote does not refer to HTLs. You suspiciously know little about your own citation.

I find it amusing that you feel the need for me to provide you with the quote that you used on your own blog, and darkstar uses on his. Indeed, that's actually where I received the quote from.
" The skies of Coruscant blaze with war.

The artificial daylight spread by the capital's orbital mirrors is sliced by intersecting flames of ion drives and punctuated by starburst explosions; contrails of debris raining into the atmosphere become tangled ribbons of cloud. The nightside sky is an infinite lattice of shining hairlines that interlock planetoids and track erratic spirals of glowing gnats. Beings watching from rooftops of Coruscant's endless cityscape can find it beautiful.

From the inside, it's different. The gnats are drive-glows of starfighters. The shining hairlines are light-scatter from turbolaser bolts powerful enough to vaporize a small town. The planetoids are capital ships."
2. Figurative vaporization is only thing that is logical there, from pure form of text and its usage.
Please explain your logic.
3. First, small SW town, only one seen in canon, is even smaller than some modern small towns.
I have provided reasoning (that you ignored, ho ho, not hypocritical at all) suggesting that Mos Eisley is not a good representation at all.
Second, quote is directed at reader, meaning it will use terminology that is familiar to reader, not some in-universe character.
This breaks SoD and is completely unsupported. Even if all of this were true, all you have proven is that light turbolasers yield 1.5 megatons. This is not good for Trek at all. Even if heavy turbolasers only scale linearly from light turbolasers (doubtful for various reasons), this would imply 150 megaton HTLs, far higher than your 1.5 megaton estimate.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:

Show me in the entire World Wide Web some evidence that there's a civilization on Earth currently capable of building massive spaceborne warships capable of nuking planets from orbit and flying from star system to star system in little time.

Now I wonder if you'll understand what I mean there.
Yes, I do. You postulate that the Star Wars citizens came up with the figurative term "molten slag", and that we ourselves don't use it because we don't have any need for it.

Of course, I use the word "postulate" because the evidence supporting your bullshit claim is precisely zero.

Your insistance on using some *very important* chronology is just a red herring.
No, it isn't. I very clearly explained why it is indeed very much relevant. But, I will follow your request and accept your invitation.

Strawman (another one).
If it's not silly, and nothing in higher canon explicitly contradicts it, then why attempt to discredit it?
Did I speak of rubber, sweetie?
No.
Bullshit, bullshit. Here:
... and think that durasteel has the tensile strength of rubber,...
Your response:
sure
My response was to the above.

Now that you've been caught up in your own lie, feel free to explain how you build a Death Star out of rubber. I'd really like to know.

What about Star Wars that has sounds and gasoline explosions in space?
Now I'll ask for a citation.
And you shall receive.
LOTF Bloodlines.

"It's eighty kilos per square centimeter."

"What is?" asked Han, distracted.

"The yield stress of durasteel. You look like you're testing it."

Oh, you can try to start new debates, new fictional scenarios. But rebooting established evidence? Different cat.
Translation: but rebooting evidence that this pro Trek board subjectively agrees upon to be "proven"? Different cat.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:09 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Show me in the entire World Wide Web some evidence that there's a civilization on Earth currently capable of building massive spaceborne warships capable of nuking planets from orbit and flying from star system to star system in little time.

Now I wonder if you'll understand what I mean there.
Yes, I do. You postulate that the Star Wars citizens came up with the figurative term "molten slag", and that we ourselves don't use it because we don't have any need for it.

Of course, I use the word "postulate" because the evidence supporting your bullshit claim is precisely zero.
We've been over this a million times now.
"Hutt Gambit"? a planetary surface turned to molten slag is in fact seen, by a qualified imperial captain, as toppled buildings and merely scorched corpses, not rivers, ales and seas of man made lava
"Scavenger Hunt"? a tiny base so-called reduced to molten slag turns out to leave a cratered surface upon which people can easily walk. Plenty of buildings still left up. Mop up operations possible.
So yes, we already have two pieces of evidence that it's quite an expression that's running in SW.
That, and the fact that other descriptions of BDZ presented in the BDZ thread clearly go against the molten slag literalism. Meaning that for the sake of rejecting nothing and rationalizing all, it means "molten slag" is just thrown around to sound impressive.
Of course it's always possible to achieve a true molten slag, but that would require much more time and much more ships and firepower.

That shit has been going on for way too long. I and others have already provided those facts countless times.
Your insistance on using some *very important* chronology is just a red herring.
No, it isn't. I very clearly explained why it is indeed very much relevant. But, I will follow your request and accept your invitation.
It's irrelevant. I'll take a look at the BDZ thread. Besides, don't act like you're fresh to the BDZ thread.
So a galactic civilization having thousands of starships is silly,
Strawman (another one).
If it's not silly, and nothing in higher canon explicitly contradicts it, then why attempt to discredit it?
I didn't even try to discredit that.
Did I speak of rubber, sweetie?
No.
Bullshit, bullshit. Here:
... and think that durasteel has the tensile strength of rubber,...
Your response:
sure
My response was to the above.

Now that you've been caught up in your own lie, feel free to explain how you build a Death Star out of rubber. I'd really like to know.
You spoke of rubber, not me.
Without presenting any substance to your claim.
Proceed correctly and we'll see.

What about Star Wars that has sounds and gasoline explosions in space?
Now I'll ask for a citation.
And you shall receive.
LOTF Bloodlines.

"It's eighty kilos per square centimeter."

"What is?" asked Han, distracted.

"The yield stress of durasteel. You look like you're testing it."
It isn't exactly that unfoathomable horror you made it to be.
A high yield stress means more stress has been applied to materials to remove defects. The point being increasing the yield strenght.
Stress is easily measured as a pressure, and mass per surface area is a unit of pressure which was once used here.
That person simply condensed two ideas into one.

So, let me see. If Trek writers misuse a scientific unit, we can't take anything from the dialogue.
Now I should therefore favour the works of a wanker (who had a clear intent to enforce his molested-ego-fueled vision to win in vs debates -and yes, I did actually prove that he had vs material on his website), scientist that he is, instead of someone who may have make a mistake (or even intentionally introduced one sounds as an inelegant way to measure stress) but clearly got a better view of the universe than our scientist?
Oh, you can try to start new debates, new fictional scenarios. But rebooting established evidence? Different cat.
Translation: but rebooting evidence that this pro Trek board subjectively agrees upon to be "proven"? Different cat.
There's obviously no point ever hoping you admitting being wrong on that, and the admin still bails you out so I'm not going to insist.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:03 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:If that were true, it would mean that the quote is debunked, since the "vaporize small towns" reference is referring to those apparently non-existent lattices of light. In which case I would invite you to explain why you list this quote as the basis for your main calculation on SW firepower.
Problem is that leaving it out leaves us with no data on HTL yield. Besides, movie novels are canon, albeit lower than movies themselves, so...
@bold: clearly you are very confused as to what we are talking about. My entire point is that, contrary to the claim of you and darkstar, the quote does not refer to HTLs. You suspiciously know little about your own citation.

I find it amusing that you feel the need for me to provide you with the quote that you used on your own blog, and darkstar uses on his. Indeed, that's actually where I received the quote from.
RotS novel was not released in Croatia last time I checked, so I used quote from Darkstar's page. I only hoped for more info.
RotS novel wrote:" The skies of Coruscant blaze with war.

The artificial daylight spread by the capital's orbital mirrors is sliced by intersecting flames of ion drives and punctuated by starburst explosions; contrails of debris raining into the atmosphere become tangled ribbons of cloud. The nightside sky is an infinite lattice of shining hairlines that interlock planetoids and track erratic spirals of glowing gnats. Beings watching from rooftops of Coruscant's endless cityscape can find it beautiful.

From the inside, it's different. The gnats are drive-glows of starfighters. The shining hairlines are light-scatter from turbolaser bolts powerful enough to vaporize a small town. The planetoids are capital ships."
"Shining hairlines are light-scatter from turbolaser bolts powerful enough to vaporize a small town."

It looks like bolts are, apparently, moving fast enough to appear as hairlines. But it doesn't tell anything about ROF.
Please explain your logic.
That novel is, guess what, a novel. Writer is trying to inform us about something, but his first concern is how will it sound, not scientific accuracy. Besides, scientifically, closest you can get to vaporizing a town is this:

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/s ... h11_12.jpg

sans the remaining buildings.
I have provided reasoning (that you ignored, ho ho, not hypocritical at all) suggesting that Mos Eisley is not a good representation at all.
It is only one in Star Wars canon specified as such.
This breaks SoD and is completely unsupported. Even if all of this were true, all you have proven is that light turbolasers yield 1.5 megatons. This is not good for Trek at all. Even if heavy turbolasers only scale linearly from light turbolasers (doubtful for various reasons), this would imply 150 megaton HTLs, far higher than your 1.5 megaton estimate.
Now, this is pure bullshit.

You'd think he'll be speaking about strongest, most impressive turbolasers? Besides, light TL bolts can't even be seen from planet.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Picard wrote: Problem is that leaving it out leaves us with no data on HTL yield. Besides, movie novels are canon, albeit lower than movies themselves, so...
So now you're saying that we should count this quote as accurate. Just earlier you were implying that the quote is defunct. When I point out that this is the same calculation used on your blog, you change your mind and agree with it?
RotS novel was not released in Croatia last time I checked, so I used quote from Darkstar's page. I only hoped for more info.
So if you "used quote from Darkstar's page", why do you have to go to me to get the quote? You posted it on your blog, and now you expect me to provide you with the quote that you love to bring to every single argument we have?
RotS novel wrote: "Shining hairlines are light-scatter from turbolaser bolts powerful enough to vaporize a small town."

It looks like bolts are, apparently, moving fast enough to appear as hairlines. But it doesn't tell anything about ROF.
What the fuck does RoF have to do with anything? My point is that the quote describes the turbolasers as tracking starfighters. Heavy turbolasers are not made to track starfighters. Hence, the turbolasers in question are light turbolasers. Get it?

That novel is, guess what, a novel. Writer is trying to inform us about something, but his first concern is how will it sound, not scientific accuracy. Besides, scientifically, closest you can get to vaporizing a town is this:

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/s ... h11_12.jpg

sans the remaining buildings.
And have you considered the possibility that the quote both sounds nice and is literal?
It is only one in Star Wars canon specified as such.
So since the only farmboys we see in ANH are white, blond folks, that must mean that Tatooine is Hitler's dream world.

Now, this is pure bullshit.

You'd think he'll be speaking about strongest, most impressive turbolasers?
If he were, he would not have described them as warding off fighters, which only the smallest turbolasers do. Is this that difficult to comprehend?
Besides, light TL bolts can't even be seen from planet.
We don't know that for certain. What we do know for certain is that heavy turbolasers do not track fighters.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:29 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Besides, light TL bolts can't even be seen from planet.
We don't know that for certain. What we do know for certain is that heavy turbolasers do not track fighters.
No liar. It's obvious to anyone with a modicum of honesty and memory that if the bolts don't even look particularly luminous when close to them, there's fuck all chance to ever hope seeing them from the surface.

If you were really obsessed about being right, the thing you'd do would be to point out the bolts fired in the battle of Coruscant and show how luminous they were.
But you'd immediately realize that even the bolts fired from the HEAVY turbolasers on the sides of Venators, for example, are barely visible some few kilometers away.
That's the harsh reality of it. Anyone pretending you could see those already faint bolts from the surface is completely nuts or dishonest, or capable of supersight and not very human.

As for heavy turbolasers and their calibers, let's make a few things clear.
First, quad turbolaser batteries.

Image Image

Not exactly small by any stretch of the imagination.
In reality, compared to a Venator's so called HTLs, they're very big.

Those quad cannons were capable of tracking fighters and taking them down. Yet they were considerably more massive than the smaller guns seen used on a variety of machines like rebel fighters or the Millennium Falcon or CIS/GAR fighters, 99.999% of them capable of blasting enemy fighters in a few shots.

We will also notice that the cannons used to take down the shields of the Tantive IV were impossible to spot.
Again proving that size doesn't exactly dictate duty and that there's obviously a large margin of tolerance.

There also were those artillery pieces used by the battle droids to damage Venators flying in atmosphere. Later on Obi-Wan used one those guns at a ground target not that far from him. Well guess what? We didn't see much nuclear firepower here.

There's also the fact that the turbolasers in the trench of the first Death Star were firing at a high ROF, and looking at the trajectory of the bolts, they were obviously going to hit some walls sooner or later, regardless of the battle station's surface curvature. Were they shooting terajoules or petajoules at fighters? I doubt it. They were seen tracking fighters, although those turrets didn't manage to land a single shot on them, safe for Porkins who got downed with unknown weapons.

TCWS shows that all the cannons under the forward mandibles of the Munificent-class frigates are also fired to shoot at Venators. Yet they're the same cannons used to shoot down fighters.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:41 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:So now you're saying that we should count this quote as accurate. Just earlier you were implying that the quote is defunct. When I point out that this is the same calculation used on your blog, you change your mind and agree with it?
I said that I wanted more data. Beacouse we never, ever see bolts that could be seen from planet in RotS. Only time we do see them is during RotJ.
What the fuck does RoF have to do with anything? My point is that the quote describes the turbolasers as tracking starfighters. Heavy turbolasers are not made to track starfighters. Hence, the turbolasers in question are light turbolasers. Get it?
So, you're telling me that they need megaton shots to destroy fighters, even thought we saw fighters destroyed by sub-kiloton firepower?
And have you considered the possibility that the quote both sounds nice and is literal?
No, beacouse novel has to conform to movie, not the opposite.

And literal usage of such expression is quite rare.
So since the only farmboys we see in ANH are white, blond folks, that must mean that Tatooine is Hitler's dream world.
Were it so, yes. But since it is not that way, your example is pointless.

Not "boys" exactly, but serve well to show that you're mistaken.
If he were, he would not have described them as warding off fighters, which only the smallest turbolasers do. Is this that difficult to comprehend?
Unless these were flak bursts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beehive_(a ... ircraft.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_cm/45_Type_94

You're not expecting me to believe that light turbolasers are one and half megatons, while medium turbolasers are half-dozen kilotons at best? Not to mention that less than a gigaton of asteroid bombardment can lower ISD's shields, or fact that low-kiloton-range cannons are used to take out capital ships?
But we do.

Don't tell me that can be seen from surface of planet.
Last edited by Picard on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
No liar. It's obvious to anyone with a modicum of honesty and memory that if the bolts don't even look particularly luminous when close to them, there's fuck all chance to ever hope seeing them from the surface.
It's not from the fucking surface. The next time you open your figurative mouth, actually bother to read the god damn quote to realize that the quote refers to the rooftops of Coruscant.

If you were really obsessed about being right,
Because obviously I find you to be so amusing that I intentionally make up bullshit just to fuck around with you?
the thing you'd do would be to point out the bolts fired in the battle of Coruscant and show how luminous they were.
But you'd immediately realize that even the bolts fired from the HEAVY turbolasers on the sides of Venators, for example, are barely visible some few kilometers away.
Now comes the time for you to prove that heavy turbolasers were used at all in a battle in which both sides were so drained out, their ships did not have shields.
That's the harsh reality of it. Anyone pretending you could see those already faint bolts from the surface is completely nuts or dishonest, or capable of supersight and not very human.
So since when was Coruscant a homospecic population? Since when were any observers watching from the surface?

Image Image

Those quad cannons were capable of tracking fighters and taking them down.
Because obviously your conclusion to quad laser turrets firing at a slow moving "this is not a warship" yacht and missing is that they are "capable of tracking fighters and taking them down."

Did the TF battleship's quad lasers have anything else to fire at? Nope. So even if their chances of hitting the Queen's ship (which is significantly larger and clumsier than a starfighter) is less than 1%, since they have nothing else to fire at there is absolutely nothing to lose by firing anyway.

Compare that to the RotS novelization quote, in which the allegedly heavy turbolasers are described as tracking starfighters in spite of the enemy capital ships that would make for far more convenient targets.
Yet they were considerably more massive than the smaller guns seen used on a variety of machines like rebel fighters or the Millennium Falcon or CIS/GAR fighters, 99.999% of them capable of blasting enemy fighters in a few shots.
Strawman argument. Did I ever deny that turbolasers can effortlessly roast starfighters?
We will also notice that the cannons used to take down the shields of the Tantive IV were impossible to spot.
Again proving that size doesn't exactly dictate duty and that there's obviously a large margin of tolerance.
You mean the heavy turbolasers that were ineffectual at hitting the Rebel starfighters moving in a predictable, straight line would be capable of targeting "erratically" moving starfighters instead of the giant capital ships whom said turbolasers are designed to target?

You mean the same heavy turbolasers you claim cannot reliably hit a capital ship from 200 kilometers away, something that can easily enough be accomplished with modern targeting technology, can hit starfighters moving so fast they appeared to be a "blur" (later in the novel)?
There also were those artillery pieces used by the battle droids to damage Venators flying in atmosphere. Later on Obi-Wan used one those guns at a ground target not that far from him. Well guess what? We didn't see much nuclear firepower here.
What the fuck are you talking about? Provide context.

There's also the fact that the turbolasers in the trench of the first Death Star were firing at a high ROF, and looking at the trajectory of the bolts, they were obviously going to hit some walls sooner or later, regardless of the battle station's surface curvature. Were they shooting terajoules or petajoules at fighters? I doubt it. They were seen tracking fighters, although those turrets didn't manage to land a single shot on them, safe for Porkins who got downed with unknown weapons.
How does this matter at all? Regardless of whether the turbolasers were heavy or light, they were indisputably targeting starfighters and they were indisputably capable of vaporizing small towns. I don't care if you "doubt it".
TCWS shows that all the cannons under the forward mandibles of the Munificent-class frigates are also fired to shoot at Venators. Yet they're the same cannons used to shoot down fighters.
We're not talking about your T canon tv show. The film-novels supercede it. Boo hoo.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
It's not from the fucking surface. The next time you open your figurative mouth, actually bother to read the god damn quote to realize that the quote refers to the rooftops of Coruscant.

Edit: for some stupid reason, some pictures would not be displayed anymore through the urls. :| ???

Which is a point I already covered in that thread or in another thread you are posting in yesterday.
Those rooftops are a few km above "sea level" anyway. Like the top of a mountain. Air rarefaction prevents people from being too high if they stand outside. It's a small difference in comparison to the distance between them and the ships, fighting hundreds of km above.
If you were really obsessed about being right,
Because obviously I find you to be so amusing that I intentionally make up bullshit just to fuck around with you?
Making bullshit or being intentionally obtuse, you do both well actually.
the thing you'd do would be to point out the bolts fired in the battle of Coruscant and show how luminous they were.
Now comes the time for you to prove that heavy turbolasers were used at all in a battle in which both sides were so drained out, their ships did not have shields.
Ah? So those blue and red bolts were not turbolasers?
One or two days ago, I replied to a post of yours where I pointed out that there were ships which clearly had shields up, while at the same time we actually did saw plenty of turbolaser fire. I mean, everytime you see bolts coming out of the muzzle of turbolaser tubes with a flash, I think we can safely conclude that a TL bolt has been fired.
But perhaps I'm being too literal, who knows?

That kind of comments you make, they really convey the feeling that you didn't watch the movies.
Now, if you did, you're just a disgusting troll, for there is no possible way one intelligent being could ever say such stupid things without actually doing it on purpose.

But perhaps you are truly that mentally challenged.
So since when was Coruscant a homospecic population? Since when were any observers watching from the surface?
Any proof that the vast majority of species can see that well?
The book didn't mention that species with super sight were involved.
You're making shit up. Nothing new.

Image Image

Those quad cannons were capable of tracking fighters and taking them down.
Because obviously your conclusion to quad laser turrets firing at a slow moving "this is not a warship" yacht and missing is that they are "capable of tracking fighters and taking them down."
Those guns were actually capable of taking that very same ship's shields down. It's a very well known fact for anyone who has watched TPM.
Tracking a ship that sweeps by very closely is harder than at some distance.
Those guns were the same seen taking down N-1s.
Oh, look. By all ICS logic, that yacht should have had shields at the petawatt level.
Did the TF battleship's quad lasers have anything else to fire at? Nope.
Eh? What difference would that make? Firing for shit and giggles perhaps?
So even if their chances of hitting the Queen's ship (which is significantly larger and clumsier than a starfighter) is less than 1%, since they have nothing else to fire at there is absolutely nothing to lose by firing anyway.
As I said, they did a good job at hitting the ship. Of course it would have helped if Ric Olié wasn't so spent on flying on a predictable path and had tried some evasive maneuvers.
Besides, the yacht in question isn't excessively larger than a N-1. The 327 is quite skinny and very flat, which doesn't make it an easy to shoot vessel.
Compare that to the RotS novelization quote, in which the allegedly heavy turbolasers are described as tracking starfighters in spite of the enemy capital ships that would make for far more convenient targets.
Doesn't care. You're incapable of even knowing basic stuff about TPM, so your point is silly.
The quad cannons could hit both N-1s and a 78 meters long yacht, and that at a distance of +100 km. See for more info.
Basically, what heavy turbolasers are capable of, and exactly in line with the kinda of range from the ROTS novelization.
Yet they were considerably more massive than the smaller guns seen used on a variety of machines like rebel fighters or the Millennium Falcon or CIS/GAR fighters, 99.999% of them capable of blasting enemy fighters in a few shots.
Strawman argument. Did I ever deny that turbolasers can effortlessly roast starfighters?
Way to miss the point. I'm showing that massive cannons, easily as big if not bigger than a Venator's HTLs, can hit both a long yacht and N-1 fighters.

In fact, once the N-1s came close to the Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, they had no problem to evade that fire anymore.
Flying close to structures and ships is what renders even the heaviest of turbolaser ineffective against fighters.
In the attack of the Malevolence, the Y-wings were only really threatened when they were at a certain distance from the ship. Not so much when they were flying close to it.
Same with the run on both Death Stars: all turbolaser pieces were tracking the fighters but they were too small and too quick, and evaded fire. But they were tracked nonetheless. Those turbolasers were supposed to be used against capital ships.

Here goes your claim of non-tracking of fighters by heavy weaponry.
You mean the heavy turbolasers that were ineffectual at hitting the Rebel starfighters moving in a predictable, straight line would be capable of targeting "erratically" moving starfighters instead of the giant capital ships whom said turbolasers are designed to target?
What I'm saying with that other element is that as much as we see big pieces used against small targets, we also have small pieces used against capital ships.
You mean the same heavy turbolasers you claim cannot reliably hit a capital ship from 200 kilometers away, something that can easily enough be accomplished with modern targeting technology, can hit starfighters moving so fast they appeared to be a "blur" (later in the novel)?
I said the heavy turbolasers have a maximum effective range in the hundreds of km tops. It's supported.
I'm not seeing what you're trying to claim about the second part. Modern targeting technology cannot track fighter sized objects hundreds of kilometers away when used in conjunction with dumb projectiles, like what laser bolts are.
There is a reason why missiles are used at such ranges.
What the fuck are you talking about? Provide context.
Mmm... I guess that's another episode of TCWS's 1st season you didn't watch.
It's the one where Acclamators (not Venators, my mistake) are seen entering the atmosphere of a planet, and shot at by CIS artillery pieces.
How does this matter at all? Regardless of whether the turbolasers were heavy or light, they were indisputably targeting starfighters and they were indisputably capable of vaporizing small towns. I don't care if you "doubt it".
No, that's totally wrong. HEAVY turbolasers are known to track all types of targets, but are far more succesful with the largest ones, starting with ships as big as yachts or cargos.
Fighters are more problematic, especially at short ranges.
We've never seen any kind of evidence of small TLs ever having the firepower that could vaporize a small town.

Let's just take care of this. You asked me something earlier on, based on higher canon only.
I'm going to do the same.

In the higher canon, movies novelization and TCWS, where do you see evidence of light TLs being capable of vaporizing a small town, literally or not?
We're not talking about your T canon tv show. The film-novels supercede it. Boo hoo.
Seems like you missed the recent update about canon then.
Besides, they also supercede the ICS.

Edit: for some stupid reason, some pictures wouldn't show properly through the urls. :| ???
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:

Air rarefaction prevents people from being too high if they stand outside.
Which is why the populace of Coruscant never flies kilometers high with their airspeeders, lest they all die of suffocation.

They obviously don't have any method around this.
It's a small difference in comparison to the distance between them and the ships, fighting hundreds of km above.
The ships were just a few hundred meters or so above the atmosphere of Coruscant.

When did I deny that they were turbolasers? How do you possibly get that perception from my question?

Whoever these people are, however high up their rooftops are, they can see starfighters. Therefore, seeing light turbolasers is not ridiculous to the slightest degree.

Those guns were actually capable of taking that very same ship's shields down. It's a very well known fact for anyone who has watched TPM.
Uh huh. You mean after they crossed the line of fire of several TF battleships and were hit perhaps three times? How do you know that the quad turbolasers hit them and not smaller point defense turrets? How is hitting a slow, ceremonial ship impressive at all?
Oh, look. By all ICS logic, that yacht should have had shields at the petawatt level.
Which is contradicted by absolutely nothing in the scene. If anything, the fact that they took hits from turbolasers (light or heavy) which you seem to be implying were the ones or were remotely similar to the ones (indeed, you imply your belief that the QTLs are larger than the HTL's) in the novel quote; like, the ones that can "vaporize small towns", simply reinforces it.

Do you sincerely fail to understand such a basic statement? Do you understand that, if there was a more convenient and important target to fire at, as is the case in the Battle of Coruscant, they would be hitting that instead? That the TF battleships were modified transports whose guns were likely to defend against the only threats to large transports whose shields "nobody can penetrate" would be small capital ships?

Besides, the yacht in question isn't excessively larger than a N-1. The 327 is quite skinny and very flat, which doesn't make it an easy to shoot vessel.
"This is not a warship" - Amidala.

Doesn't care. You're incapable of even knowing basic stuff about TPM, so your point is silly.
Ad hominem.
The quad cannons could hit both N-1s and a 78 meters long yacht, and that at a distance of +100 km. See for more info.
So the effective range for HTL's is under 100 kilometers in your opinion, and 200 kilometers is around the max, yet when it is convenient for your current argument you claim that quad cannons clearly designed to hit capital ships can take out starfighters from 100+ kilometers away?

Basically, what heavy turbolasers are capable of, and exactly in line with the kinda of range from the ROTS novelization.
So you claim that QTLs are similar in power to HTLs. You claim that both can take out starfighters. We both agree that the Queen's yacht took several hits before its shield shorted out (not overwhelmed) and once repaired easily shrugged the bolts off. We both agree that HTLs/QTLs can "vaporize small towns", although we disagree over the literal-ness of "vaporize" and the size of a SW small town, which you see to be around 1.5 megatons.

Conclusion: Queen Amidala's yacht can take multiple megaton level shots, and by your own admission is hardly larger than a starfighter (and is not a warship, so it likely has weaker shield/area).

Way to miss the point. I'm showing that massive cannons, easily as big if not bigger than a Venator's HTLs, can hit both a long yacht and N-1 fighters.

In fact, once the N-1s came close to the Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, they had no problem to evade that fire anymore.
Flying close to structures and ships is what renders even the heaviest of turbolaser ineffective against fighters.
In the attack of the Malevolence, the Y-wings were only really threatened when they were at a certain distance from the ship. Not so much when they were flying close to it.
Same with the run on both Death Stars: all turbolaser pieces were tracking the fighters but they were too small and too quick, and evaded fire. But they were tracked nonetheless. Those turbolasers were supposed to be used against capital ships.

Here goes your claim that SW weapons have piss poor accuracy and range. When we discuss firepower you gladly inflate other aspects of SW to deflate firepower. When we discuss industrial might, you gladly inflate other aspects of SW to deflate industry. You seem to change your stance depending on whatever suits you at the time.

If HTL's can track starfighters and hit them from 100+ kilometers away, and yet still a yacht barely larger can take several hits from these megaton level weapons, how do you win this debate to the slightest degree?

What I'm saying with that other element is that as much as we see big pieces used against small targets, we also have small pieces used against capital ships.
When they have nothing better to do, yes.

I said the heavy turbolasers have a maximum effective range in the hundreds of km tops.
BY ME
The G canon novelization of Revenge of the Sith, higher up on the hierarchy than even TCW

The vast semisphere of the view wall bloomed with battle. Sophisticated sensor algorithims compressed the combat sprawled throughout the galactic capital's orbit to a view the naked eye could enjoy: cruisers hundreds of kilometres apart, exchanging fire at near lightspeed, appeared to be practically hull-to-hull, joined by pulsing cables of flame. Turbolaser blats became swift shafts of light that shattered into prismatic splinters against shields, or bloomed into miniature supernovae that swallowed ships whole ...

Is this sufficient evidence for you, Mr. O, coming from a G canon source?
BY YOUR LYING SELF

It just says they exchanged fire. There's no indication of the hit rate, i.e., the effective range.

I suppose that by now, after having read that last post of mine, you better understand my position. I'm not denying stated maximum range. I'm disputing treating it as some particularly effective range, otherwise getting closer to ISDs would have changed nothing for the Rebels.
You disputed "hundreds of kilometers" as effective range.
It's the one where Acclamators (not Venators, my mistake) are seen entering the atmosphere of a planet, and shot at by CIS artillery pieces.
I remember it. No shield effects = shields were down.

No, that's totally wrong. HEAVY turbolasers are known to track all types of targets, but are far more succesful with the largest ones, starting with ships as big as yachts or cargos.
Then why track the fighters and waste time instead of leaving that for the far more effective (at this) light turbolasers, friendly fighters and laser cannons and instead blowing up capital ships?
We've never seen any kind of evidence of small TLs ever having the firepower that could vaporize a small town.
Except, you know, asteroids. And the ICS's.
In the higher canon, movies novelization and TCWS, where do you see evidence of light TLs being capable of vaporizing a small town, literally or not?
Um...this quote? What makes you think that I need more than one example from higher canon for my argument to be valid? Why is this quote alone not enough?

Additionally, asteroids. For example, some of them, which were clearly scalable by being in the same screen as the Falcon, are being vaporized by areas in which there don't even exist turbolasers (so presumably from point defense laser cannons) and output megatons.

Of course, the standard objection is to deny that asteroids were being vaporized at all, that there were just blue burst rounds from green turbolasers.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:52 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Additionally, asteroids. For example, some of them, which were clearly scalable by being in the same screen as the Falcon, are being vaporized by areas in which there don't even exist turbolasers (so presumably from point defense laser cannons) and output megatons.
What asteroids are you talking about? None of the asteroids you claim exist before getting hit are being shot down. This was made plain and simple in an earlier page in this very thread, which I linked to a video clip of the Falcon being chased down by ISD Avenger, and you were specifically asked to point out the alleged asteroids being vaporized, to which you failed to reply.

It was very obvious and several participants even commented on this.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Additionally, asteroids. For example, some of them, which were clearly scalable by being in the same screen as the Falcon, are being vaporized by areas in which there don't even exist turbolasers (so presumably from point defense laser cannons) and output megatons.
What asteroids are you talking about? None of the asteroids you claim exist before getting hit are being shot down. This was made plain and simple in an earlier page in this very thread, which I linked to a video clip of the Falcon being chased down by ISD Avenger, and you were specifically asked to point out the alleged asteroids being vaporized, to which you failed to reply.

It was very obvious and several participants even commented on this.
-Mike
Oh shit.
He's now falling back on mindlessly parroting a page which even SDN old timers don't dare quote anymore?
That's another proof that this lunatic doesn't even watch the movies. There's like a total of several billions people on Earth who have watched tESB and who never saw those vaunted asteroids.

Is he sounding like a honest debater who should be given more chances to [heart]learn[/heart]?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:46 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Air rarefaction prevents people from being too high if they stand outside.
Which is why the populace of Coruscant never flies kilometers high with their airspeeders, lest they all die of suffocation.

They obviously don't have any method around this.
Until you provide proof that there's any special tech there, what we're left with is people clearly living in the upper levels and not having problems to breathe.
Tell me one thing. How high above see level do you think those rooftops are?
It's a small difference in comparison to the distance between them and the ships, fighting hundreds of km above.
The ships were just a few hundred meters or so above the atmosphere of Coruscant.
HAHAHAHAHALOLOLOL

Hey fucker. Do you know how far up a planet's atmosphere extends, by chance?
That's twice comical.
When did I deny that they were turbolasers? How do you possibly get that perception from my question?
As I said, we see what is easily identified as heavy turbolasers (or even very heavy TLs in the case of the Munificents' prow guns) being used.
And obviously not all ships were drained since we saw a CIS battleship's unique shields flare up on contact from enemy fire.
That said, in general shields don't show up at all, save for a few ones (like the thermal shields from TCWS used on one of the CIS new ships I think).
But it doesn't matter. That ship clearly had shields still up. We also saw groups of Venators descending into the battle zone by groups of two or three, certainly not suggesting that they had already lost formation after minutes or hours of exhausting exchanges.

Whoever these people are, however high up their rooftops are, they can see starfighters. Therefore, seeing light turbolasers is not ridiculous to the slightest degree.
Aside from the fact that in the movie, you can barely see the bolts.

Uh huh. You mean after they crossed the line of fire of several TF battleships and were hit perhaps three times? How do you know that the quad turbolasers hit them and not smaller point defense turrets? How is hitting a slow, ceremonial ship impressive at all?
Because those were the same and unique guns only seen firing? Because in fact most of the fire (>99%) clearly came from one ship? Because that Nubian ship has no reason to be a shitty tincan, considering the people it transports? Because the ship wasn't slow at all (even Dooku, running for his life, wasn't considerably faster, considering how he sailed past coreships docking with their rings)?

Why trying so hard to deny the fact that those truly immense quad cannons were capable to harm the Nubian ship as much as they could actually track and destroy N-1s?
Perhaps it's time you stop refering to that monolithic EU sorting of weapon calibers and pay more attention to higher canon material.
Which is contradicted by absolutely nothing in the scene.
Aside from the droids obviously not destroyed by yields similar to Ivy Mike you mean?
If anything, the fact that they took hits from turbolasers (light or heavy) which you seem to be implying were the ones or were remotely similar to the ones (indeed, you imply your belief that the QTLs are larger than the HTL's) in the novel quote; like, the ones that can "vaporize small towns", simply reinforces it.
Um, no, because I also considered that these cannons could dial their firepower down. You don't see N-1s being instantly flash-boiled when hit as they dive towards the DCS at the end of the movie.
Yet that's what should happen if yields could not be dialed down, since even in the ICS, there's a ratio of one to a thousand between snubfighter shielding and the shielding of larger ships like the ones used by high profile Naboo dignitaries for example.
Do you sincerely fail to understand such a basic statement? Do you understand that, if there was a more convenient and important target to fire at, as is the case in the Battle of Coruscant, they would be hitting that instead? That the TF battleships were modified transports whose guns were likely to defend against the only threats to large transports whose shields "nobody can penetrate" would be small capital ships?
I'm simply not seeing whatever point of importance you're trying to make. If your guns are simply and TOTALLY inadequate, you won't use them. You won't see a WWII battleship using its heavy bores to take down zero fighters for example, even if said fighters kept flying just above the oceans' surface.
Heavy guns in TPM were fired at two different types of targets simply because they are that versatile.
It means that obviously massive turbolasers can be used to track anything from N-1s to yachts or more, the bigger the target and the more distant the better, because those guns are still huge and not so fast to swivel.
In fact, considering their huge size, there's no reason to believe that they couldn't be used against capital ships >1 km.
"This is not a warship" - Amidala.
None of the VIP Nubian ships were warships; that didn't prevent Saxton from slapping them with petawatt of shielding when he could. Damn, you don't even know your holy piss bible enough. What a sad state of affairs, really.
So the effective range for HTL's is under 100 kilometers in your opinion...
So you can't read. I said 100s for max effective range, and with rapidly decreasing hit rates. The battle of ROTJ doesn't lie.
... and 200 kilometers is around the max,...
I didn't say 200 km.
I'm actually leaving myself enough room for it to be about 100s of km.
... yet when it is convenient for your current argument you claim that quad cannons clearly designed to hit capital ships can take out starfighters from 100+ kilometers away?
Not starfighters.
Did you actually see the amount of fire Olié flew the ship through before it actually got hit?
Perhaps he thought putting all on speed and getting out of the planet's gravity field was the best choice, especially if droid fighters would be launched. He was lucky it didn't happen at all.
That is a rather poor demonstration of blockade.
Mind you, we saw the same lack of fighter screen in TESB!
Heck, in TESB, the ISD that got ionized didn't even fire once at the incoming rebel ships.
So you claim that QTLs are similar in power to HTLs. You claim that both can take out starfighters. We both agree that the Queen's yacht took several hits before its shield shorted out (not overwhelmed) and once repaired easily shrugged the bolts off.
She wasn't hit again. Only buffeted by nearby flaking bolts.
We both agree that HTLs/QTLs can "vaporize small towns", although we disagree over the literal-ness of "vaporize" and the size of a SW small town, which you see to be around 1.5 megatons.
Not necessarily. Vaporizing a small town can happen with a couple dozen terajoules tops. Remember Hiroshima. Mos Espa was already several kilometers long, but it's always described as a city, not a small town.
Conclusion: Queen Amidala's yacht can take multiple megaton level shots, and by your own admission is hardly larger than a starfighter (and is not a warship, so it likely has weaker shield/area).
Already addressed earlier on in my post.
Cannons can be dialed.
They seem to be at least smart enough to use what's about good enough to take down a target based on its volume and, therefore, expected shielding capacity.

Here goes your claim that SW weapons have piss poor accuracy and range. When we discuss firepower you gladly inflate other aspects of SW to deflate firepower. When we discuss industrial might, you gladly inflate other aspects of SW to deflate industry. You seem to change your stance depending on whatever suits you at the time.

If HTL's can track starfighters and hit them from 100+ kilometers away, and yet still a yacht barely larger can take several hits from these megaton level weapons, how do you win this debate to the slightest degree?
Because you can't keep an eye on the road, I'll remind you that this whole topic that's been going on was about discussing fighter tracking and weapon calibers.
Yes, we also talked about ranges, yes we also talked about firepower, but I believe I was clear enough on each topic.
Reality is that your argument is roasted and you're trying to accuse me of using red herring and changing subjects when it suits me so I never lose.
Fact is that I easily and perfectly demonstrated that heavy pieces can be seen tracking small vessels, and even hitting them at times. That those same cannons are also meant to be used against capital ships.

Meaning that I'm absolutely right in considering that the turbolasers referenced in the ROTS novelization can be such heavy pieces of weaponry, both tracking fighters and interlocking with other capital ships.
And it's those guns which could level a small town.
When they have nothing better to do, yes.
If they have nothing better to do but are absolutely worthless, no one uses them. That's why you won't see people firing their berettas at the hulls of merkava tanks.
I said the heavy turbolasers have a maximum effective range in the hundreds of km tops.
BY ME
The G canon novelization of Revenge of the Sith, higher up on the hierarchy than even TCW

The vast semisphere of the view wall bloomed with battle. Sophisticated sensor algorithims compressed the combat sprawled throughout the galactic capital's orbit to a view the naked eye could enjoy: cruisers hundreds of kilometres apart, exchanging fire at near lightspeed, appeared to be practically hull-to-hull, joined by pulsing cables of flame. Turbolaser blats became swift shafts of light that shattered into prismatic splinters against shields, or bloomed into miniature supernovae that swallowed ships whole ...

Is this sufficient evidence for you, Mr. O, coming from a G canon source?
BY YOUR LYING SELF

It just says they exchanged fire. There's no indication of the hit rate, i.e., the effective range.
What do you think you have demonstrated? My point still stands. There's zero mention of the hit rate. We're only given one information, of range. In fact, I'm being generous in claiming effective range. Others would exactly tab that as mere maximum range (meaning the effective range is shorter).

I suppose that by now, after having read that last post of mine, you better understand my position. I'm not denying stated maximum range. I'm disputing treating it as some particularly effective range, otherwise getting closer to ISDs would have changed nothing for the Rebels.
You disputed "hundreds of kilometers" as effective range.
When?
I remember it. No shield effects = shields were down.
Did you know that in the vaaaast majority of cases, you don't see shields doing anything when hit, always remaining invisible?
Then why track the fighters and waste time instead of leaving that for the far more effective (at this) light turbolasers, friendly fighters and laser cannons and instead blowing up capital ships?
Because they can? Because it can happen that the closest danger to a ship isn't some distant enemy cruiser already locked into a battle with another comrade warship, but that fast approaching squadron of fighters and bombers?

Fighters & Capital ships in the films
Except, you know, asteroids.
Debunked. Mike pointed this out several times in the past few days now. Good to see you keep denying them.
And the ICS's.
Contradicted. So why should I care?
It's quite fantastic that you think you can still convince me by citing the only one source that gives stupid amounts of firepower -the kind that can burn the entirety of Washington DC by accident- to point defense guns, in opposition to the vast majority that doesn't even dare going beyond attributing that kind of firepower or even less to HTLs.
Um...this quote? What makes you think that I need more than one example from higher canon for my argument to be valid? Why is this quote alone not enough?

Additionally, asteroids. For example, some of them, which were clearly scalable by being in the same screen as the Falcon, are being vaporized by areas in which there don't even exist turbolasers (so presumably from point defense laser cannons) and output megatons.

Of course, the standard objection is to deny that asteroids were being vaporized at all, that there were just blue burst rounds from green turbolasers.
Sorry, I forgot to mention: aside from that very quote from the ROTS novelization, of course, because that one is in dispute.