Sovereign-class vs. Galaxy-class

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Sovereign-class vs. Galaxy-class

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:53 pm

Even being exceptionally generous and assuming that the Papa Echo drone is right up against the E-D stardrive hull, it makes the drone no bigger than 95-100 meters in length, which is still considerably smaller a target than the Scimitar. The phaser beam here also starts off very small compared to others we've seen fired from a Galaxy, so it expanding (assuming we are not seeing a trick of perspective), is not as much as you are making it out to be.
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:06 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Even being exceptionally generous and assuming that the Papa Echo drone is right up against the E-D stardrive hull, it makes the drone no bigger than 95-100 meters in length, which is still considerably smaller a target than the Scimitar. The phaser beam here also starts off very small compared to others we've seen fired from a Galaxy, so it expanding (assuming we are not seeing a trick of perspective), is not as much as you are making it out to be.
-Mike

No its obviously not as big as the scimitar or even close to it, i am watching the scene now and its very difficult to judge to be fair.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Kor, I have to agree if we are talking about "Pre-DW" Galaxy, then the E-E takes it hands down, but the DW-Refit GCS did show impressive maneuvering for their size, and seemed to be very tough and powerful, disabling a Galor in 2-3 shots, while the Defiant needs 4-5 full Pulse Phaser spread to do the same...

So E-E vs "Pre-DW" GCS, E-E wins easily...

E-E vs "DW-Refit" GCS, E-E wins but gets out with a bloody nose and a limp, just like the Defiant vs the Lakota... :)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Kor, I have to agree if we are talking about "Pre-DW" Galaxy, then the E-E takes it hands down, but the DW-Refit GCS did show impressive maneuvering for their size, and seemed to be very tough and powerful, disabling a Galor in 2-3 shots, while the Defiant needs 4-5 full Pulse Phaser spread to do the same...
2 Galaxys fired on that Galor and we have no idea if it had already taken damage as the battle had been going on for ages, and we also know that the fed attack fighters were focusing on cardi ships for the entire first part of the engagment.

Manouverability or not the fact is that the Sovs shield vectors regenerate when they are not getting hit while the Galaxys do not, that sort of advantage along with the massive firepower advantage of the Sov is too large to over come.
So E-E vs "Pre-DW" GCS, E-E wins easily...

E-E vs "DW-Refit" GCS, E-E wins but gets out with a bloody nose and a limp, just like the Defiant vs the Lakota... :)
Meh, its a better fight with the DW fit galaxy but its still a wipe just like the Defiants over the Lakota....:)

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:50 am

Praeothmin wrote:Kor, I have to agree if we are talking about "Pre-DW" Galaxy, then the E-E takes it hands down, but the DW-Refit GCS did show impressive maneuvering for their size, and seemed to be very tough and powerful, disabling a Galor in 2-3 shots, while the Defiant needs 4-5 full Pulse Phaser spread to do the same...
Which episode is that? I remember the Defiant disabling two Keldons in "Defiant" but not only is the Keldon stronger than the Galor, these Keldons in particular were upgraded as per Dukat's "those are faster than any Keldon class ships I've ever seen" line. Or are you talking about a different episode. I tend to go from memory a lot, since I dislike scattering the DVDs all over :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwKnvRPI ... re=related

Anyway, here's the SoA battle. I count six shots against the Galor, four from the first Galaxy and two from the second. Interestingly, try to count the number of Galaxies in that sequence. I get 9.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Cocytus, how many pulses of Pulse Phasers we needed per ship?
Remember each pulse is basically four hits, so 3 pulses means 12 hits.
Compare that to the 5-7 hits you counted for the GCS, and it is clear the War-Refit GCS isn't a weakling either...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Cocytus, how many pulses of Pulse Phasers we needed per ship?
Remember each pulse is basically four hits, so 3 pulses means 12 hits.
Compare that to the 5-7 hits you counted for the GCS, and it is clear the War-Refit GCS isn't a weakling either...
The beams from the 2 Galaxys last between 2-3 seconds each, while the phaser cannons on Defiant class ships can fire up to 12 rounds per second (DS9: "Valiant", "Tears of the Prophets").

I remember watching "the search pt1" and seeing the Defiant fire for the first time, it gave me a major chubby....:)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:24 am

Kor, that's far, far too much information. ;-)
-Mike

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:18 am

I still havent seen a good argument in response to the Galaxy claims.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Sideswipe wrote:I still havent seen a good argument in response to the Galaxy claims.
What Galaxy claims?
That it can take on a Sovereign, or that the War-Refit was a bit more powerful than the "normal" Galaxy?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:32 am

I'd think that feats of blowing up Cardassian ships aren't that impressive seeing it's well Cardassians your doing it too. But from what I recall about the Galaxies is that they went from not being able to handle dominion bugs too dismissing anything that wasn't a Dominion battleship. Over all though the Sovereign seems to be way tougher able to withstand far heavier abuses and supposedly has ablative armor (or was that just the Enterprise) something that was rare for anything other then small ships. I'll give to the sovereign over all based on durability and and weaponry

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:15 am

Praeothmin wrote:
What Galaxy claims?
That it can take on a Sovereign, or that the War-Refit was a bit more powerful than the "normal" Galaxy?
Yeah sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the claims made by the posters in the linked websites on page one. As well as the "SDE theory"