Does the popularity of ST/SW affect the outcome of ST v SW?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:46 pm

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign wrote:I disagree with Star Wars being more creative, especially in light of the PT.
They have more money for the VFX and sets, which in the end does bring some kind of exotism to the screen.

That also applies to ship/vehicle/species/planet/world/city design. When you have money and plenty of talented artists working for you, only complete incompetence would forbid anyone with such assets to develop something jaw dropping. Eye candy.

But see, Trek got some nice budgets for the films, yet they didn't actually create awe inspiring things. Most planets are nothing but a vulgar exploitation of some terran landscape. Ships are nothing new.

As far as I'm concerned, besides the enigmatic and even quite creepy whale probe, or the impressive Genesis device, I haven't seen any Trek film come with a thing more incredible than V'ger.

Maybe it didn't feel like hard science, maybe it didn't involve lots of space battles, diplomatic struggles or plots based on treachery and interplanetary economics, but it was beautiful.

The exploration probe that returns home.

Possibly the epithom of Star Trek's essence.