The UFP encounters the Star Wars Universe

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

The UFP encounters the Star Wars Universe

Post by Enterprise E » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:38 pm

The United Federation of Planets (post-Nemesis) encounters these Star Wars powers:

The Old Republic (Clone Wars era)

The Galactic Empire at its height (between ANH and ESB)

The New Republic

The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances (GFFA or Galactic Alliance)

What happens realistically? How do they get along with the various powers. Would any of the powers actually fight the Federation, or would they take the diplomacy route?

My opinion is that the Federation would probably get along well with the New Republic. They would not get along all that great with the Old Republic (because they can see where it is going), or the GFFA because it is becoming heavy handed in its treatment of others who don't agree with it, but they would not go to war with them, nor would the other powers go to war with the Federation, as of yet. The only power I think that they would actually end up in a war with is the Galactic Empire. But I do think that the GE would try diplomacy first. And I have a feeling that if it did come to a war, it would not be a total war at first. It may escalate into one later, but I would not put money down on that.

What do you think?

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Re: The UFP encounters the Star Wars Universe

Post by Nonamer » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:34 pm

Enterprise E wrote:The United Federation of Planets (post-Nemesis) encounters these Star Wars powers:

The Old Republic (Clone Wars era)

The Galactic Empire at its height (between ANH and ESB)

The New Republic

The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances (GFFA or Galactic Alliance)

What happens realistically? How do they get along with the various powers. Would any of the powers actually fight the Federation, or would they take the diplomacy route?

My opinion is that the Federation would probably get along well with the New Republic. They would not get along all that great with the Old Republic (because they can see where it is going), or the GFFA because it is becoming heavy handed in its treatment of others who don't agree with it, but they would not go to war with them, nor would the other powers go to war with the Federation, as of yet. The only power I think that they would actually end up in a war with is the Galactic Empire. But I do think that the GE would try diplomacy first. And I have a feeling that if it did come to a war, it would not be a total war at first. It may escalate into one later, but I would not put money down on that.

What do you think?
Considering the lack of desire for war in any of these eras excluding Palpatine's rule, it should be a peaceful encounter outside of the GE period. During the Clone Wars periods though, since Palpatine won, we will see an invasion of the Milky Way shortly after the conclusion of the Clone Wars.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:58 am

I agree that diplomatic relations would be established with any of the SW powers. It probably wouldn't last with the Empire, and maybe not with the Old Repubic. But if the Empire turned hostile and told the UFP to get out of their galaxy, it probably would result in a fullscale war, more like a cold war like TOS era with Klingons and Romulans. If the Empire tried to invade it wouldn't be a good strategic move. There aren't any hyperspace routes in the milkyway and with out a star chart, the Empire wouldn't know where to go, and would be limited to pointing their ship in a direction that isn't right at a star and making a small jump. This is assuming that the Federation hasn't set up a formidable military outpost at the gateway, or mined the entrance. So basically no matter what, the milkyway won't feel the effects as much as the Wars galaxy would.

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Other things that I am interested in are what the Romulans, Klingons, and the other powers in the AQ/BQ would think of these powers, especially since they are more likely to go to war than the Federation. Also, for tech exchanges, what pieces of technology would Trek want from Wars, and what would Wars want from Trek. I think that Trek would want bacta while Wars would want transporters and replicators. Also, would the Federation try to study the Force? What would the Force be like in the Milky Way galaxy? Would it be the same, different, would it even exist at all?

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:36 am

Why would the federation want Bacta? You have to immerse yourself in a rather large tank for an extended period of time and you still end up with scars that won't heal for a while. Luke seemed to be suffering from frostbite, hypothermia, and some facial scratches, nothing a modern hospital couldn't have taken care of. Dermal regenerators are way more useful. The only things that trek would want form wars would be hyperdrive, engineering techniques, and natural resources for which they would trade.

Wars would basically want anything the Federation of other regional power could and would give them. Especially since none of them seem to be very strong governments. The Empire would be the most aggressive in terms of acquiring weapons and defenses.

As for the other trek factions, they are unpredictable, especially in the wake of the Dominion War. The Ferengi don't care about profit much anymore thanks to Moogie, Zek, and Rom. The Klingons are more honorable and peaceful under Martok. The Romulans didn't change much through Nemesis, but now they owe the Federation in are in a time of social upheaval. The Cardassians aren't in a position to do much of anything, nor would they be eager to interact with another distant power so soon after their disastrous Dominion alliance.

As for the force, I think the Klingons would be the most into it as they are spiritual were as the UFP wouldn't really bother with it. I don't know enough about the other local cultures to say. If it weren't for that stupid midiclorian stuff from TPM then I see no reason why the force wouldn't exist in the trekverse. Hell, maybe Kirk's ability to stay alive while red shirts die is due to him being a force adept, sort of unconsciously seeing things before they happen sometimes, like Annikin in TPM. Another possible force reference thing is that stuff the Traveler was talking about to Wesley Crusher about matter, energy, and thought all being inter connected.