Jedi push for tolerance of faith

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Jedi push for tolerance of faith

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:39 pm

News article from the Sun.

Notable quote: Jedi ally Chewbacca, speaking via translator Yunyun, said: “It is not fair that there are lots of different life forces across the galaxy that are not getting recognised”.

So what do you think of the Jedi religion? I know it's not something that comes up much among VS debaters, but I'm curious as to what you think.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:51 pm

I think this goes right back to something we'd discussed in an earlier thread. This article goes a long way towards reminding us that some SW fans, like some ST fans, take things way too far, and that for pro-Wars debaters to claim that SW fandom is immune to this sort of thing, while at the same time deriding ST for having "freaks" with "no life", is downright hypocritical.
-Mike

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:17 pm

As long as they follow the TESB quasi-eastern philosophy then it should be alright. The RotJ and PT brand of Jedi dogma is just weird. And yes, those people have taken this WAY to far, dressing up for conventions is one thing, but trying to form a religion is just bizarre.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:41 pm

I wonder if any of these people have thought about the logical consequences of having the Jedi faith made into an offical religion? I mean, if you can have Jedi practicing their faith, why can't someone else promote the Sith as a religion as well? Will there be other factionalism within their religion, and how will they deal with those other Jedi who don't ascribe to their interpretations? Do I choose to practice PT or OT Jedism?

And yes, AnonymousRedShirtEnsign, I do agree with you about dressing up in a costume, so long as the person has a firm grounding in reality, who knows that when the event or convention is over, it's time to take that costume off, and that it is just all another form of make-believe.

It's an important lesson, IMHO, that many a Versus debator could learn, too. There is no overriding reason that anyone must go to the extreme lengths we've unfortunately seen over the years to win.
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:19 pm

The religion is too passive for me.

AFT
Bridge Officer

Post by AFT » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:06 pm

What the…? Are they actually serious about it? We already have enough religion fanatics as it is and now this? I don’t think they know what they are doing…

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:25 pm

I think the place it was tried to be made real first was in australia, but I can't remember.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:15 am

There was an urban legend a while back about marking Jedi as your religion on your census form would force the (British) government into making it offical:

http://www.snopes.com/religion/jedi.htm

I don't think there was ever a serious actual attempt at making it a religion until those wackos showed up at the U.N..
-Mike