Disruptors in Star Wars... a new twist?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Disruptors in Star Wars... a new twist?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Straight from the New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology:

• Image Image

It seems to describe a sort of NDF effect. These weapons are rarely used though, notably because of their very short range, ten to twenty meters, and the overkill carnage they make.

Also, Yuuzhan Vong plasma weapons ignored shields during the first years of combat, iirc.

How can it be, under such circumstances, that we take as a given that energy shields, and perhaps particle shields, in SW, would stop plasma or NDF based weapons so surely?
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:03 pm

"nearly all forms of armor" paired with "and ever thick armor plating" seems highly redundant.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:06 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:"nearly all forms of armor" paired with "and ever thick armor plating" seems highly redundant.
Not if thick plating implies a form of structural integrity field, and even if it could have an effect of most combination, this effect could be superficial, but the ref. about the thick plating means that even thick plating can be damaged noticeably, no matter how compressed atoms are, by SW's standards and alloy engineering.

If it's clear enough... :p

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 pm

this was my favorite weapon in Jedi out cast.

looks and acts just like a phaser

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:23 pm

Flectarn wrote:this was my favorite weapon in Jedi out cast.

looks and acts just like a phaser
Oh yeah, I remember it now. You got to admit, the CGI picture (not on display here) clearly looks like a Trek rifle, in its plastic gray.
But didn't it have a snipe mode?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 pm

The entry for the MCPS is also interesting as it may be another contradiction to the ICS by stating that crystalline structures make up the metals in starship hulls.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:18 pm

To put it bluntly, I'm getting the vibe that NDF type weapons simply bypass SW shields altogether.

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:40 am

yeah, it had a zoom and such for sniping.

anyway, this actually says quite a bit about power generation. given the limited power cell capacity, and the fact that the tech doesn't scale up to shipboard use. compared of course to trek phasers and disurpters

also i don't think the metal phase shifter thing is an NDF type weapon... it sounds like something... else, more like an exploit of particular vulnerability in Wars ship hulls

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Flectarn wrote:yeah, it had a zoom and such for sniping.

anyway, this actually says quite a bit about power generation. given the limited power cell capacity, and the fact that the tech doesn't scale up to shipboard use. compared of course to trek phasers and disurpters
Even infantry scale phasers seem to have shown impressive feats. Applied to the scale of a starship, there's no doubt that if the ability to ignore shields was verified, it would let
also i don't think the metal phase shifter thing is an NDF type weapon... it sounds like something... else, more like an exploit of particular vulnerability in Wars ship hulls
It's specifically described as disrupting the atomic structure of metal. I'm afraid it cannot get clearer than that.

Now, think of it. In debates involving WH40K, there's a happy consensus to say that Necron guns suck atoms by doing whatever to the energy bonds. No one objects really, because it's a fact.
It's a fact and it's WH40K, which is powerful enough to be allowedto win so easily because there's no shame in losing against WH40K, the epitome of wank and nonsense. But it's fun.

Now, what do we have there?
We have not only one but TWO pieces of evidence which clearly say that weapons which, for all intents and purposes, have the same effect on matter as do phasers and disruptors, completely ignore shields and wreak havoc against any armour, even high grade thick one, obviously, since it's logically not build with NDF in mind.

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:50 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:]

It's specifically described as disrupting the atomic structure of metal. I'm afraid it cannot get clearer than that.
It say's disrupts the crystalline structure of metals, which would be a disruption of bonds at the molecular or higher level, depending on the metal polycrystalline structure in question (thank you wikipedia).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Flectarn wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:]

It say's disrupts the crystalline structure of metals, which would be a disruption of bonds at the molecular or higher level, depending on the metal polycrystalline structure in question (thank you wikipedia).
Oh, that's right. I went too deep on the scale. :/
However it changes nothing of the initial claim. It even reinforces it, in that even a weapon working at the molecular level, not below, can already ignore shields.
If there's any doubt for the MCPS, since the field it radiates could be related to the "phase" term (even if it's quite amusing that "phaser" also includes the term "phase"), and thus cheat the force field, we know the disruptor fires a beam, and is said to be an outlawed cousin of a blaster on steroids, but with a shitty range.
There would be nothing exceptional to penetrate a force field if it only meant shooting at the field until it fails, like any random weapon, blaster, laser cannon or turbolaser does. The quote is quite clear that there's something exceptional to it.

Wars' shields are not built to be capable of repelling special weapons nearly no one uses.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Disrupter weapons were mentioned in the original guide, I recall that they were banned because they were far too powerful a weapon. You guys might want to look up GEN. Grevious as well, I believe it was in one of the visual dictionaries that claims his armour is made of Duranium and that it can survive a glancing blow from a lightsaber.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 pm

More ammo against the Cult of Wong! Joy! :D

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:53 pm

watchdog wrote:Disrupter weapons were mentioned in the original guide, I recall that they were banned because they were far too powerful a weapon. You guys might want to look up GEN. Grevious as well, I believe it was in one of the visual dictionaries that claims his armour is made of Duranium and that it can survive a glancing blow from a lightsaber.
Assuming there's a relation implied there, did you think disruptors could also destroy duranium, since these weapons can destroy quite any armor in SW?
Duranium is better than cortosis. The former is tough. The second disrupts the blade, so it doesn't really have to withstand the blade's power.

Now, about the ability to ignore shields, it's also fair to think that one would have to prove that the particles fired by a disruptor, and capable of going through shields, would have anything in common with the particles fired by phasers and disruptors in Trek, even if their end effects are extremely similar.

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:36 am

which will be nigh on impossible to prove unless nadions show up anywhere in the guide