What business would you run in Star Wars?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
GStone
Starship Captain

What business would you run in Star Wars?

Post by GStone » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:22 pm

I finished my quota of paperwork today exceedingly early (I gotta stop finding ways to streamline my work) and I've got pretty much all afternoon to do nothing, so I'm bored out of my mind, going through a pile of papers to make it look like I'm doing something when a memory jumps to the front of my brain.

A lot of people have said that they favor the Empire because it's a capitalist society, as well as the apparent requisit 'there's apparently room for advancement in the military', totally glossing over the fact that they could be the ones that allow for someone else's advancement by being shot with a blaster, Force choked to death or destined to be on a ship that gets taken out by a large collection of dirt piles, as it travels through space.

So, what would you run as a business in Star Wars? Assume that you didn't have to worry about the start up capital or any other financing that's required during the early times that would make many businesses go under because they don't have it. I'd post this at SDN, but the idea of paying to be allowed to post there still makes me giggle.

As for me, I'd work in entertainment and I'd fix what's wrong with the holoprojectors, so the image isn't that crappy.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:08 am

I'd run a weapons development and manufacture company. From what we've seen, a large percentage of the populous is armed, and their firearms have a lot of room for improvement. The Wars galaxy is a dangerous place and the mentality seems to be that you are safer if armed, so I'll just capitalize on that. I could also sell guns to whoever the current government is, and unlike a ship yard, a weapons production facility isn't much of a military or terrorist target.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:05 am

A bar. It seems in the Star Wars galaxy people like to get drunk. Whether it be people on planet-city Courscant, or on dusty ol' Tatooine, bars and people getting plastered to forget their troubles or have a good time seem to be constants. ;-)
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:57 pm

I would probably want to pick something unlikely to be imperialized. A bar is actually a good choice ... but I think I would want to be a roving mechanic personally, it's more appealing and I like the idea of working with AIs.

Nobody bugs the dude who fixes up droids and skyhoppers, since everybody needs repairs at some point. You have ready access to parts to build your own crap, and if you're mobile, you could hop to another system if things started to look bad.

Which, for someone who fixes up skyhoppers, would be pretty easy to do.