Discussion about the Force

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Discussion about the Force

Post by Enterprise E » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:18 am

I was wondering what you guys think. Do you think that the Force itself has an external Light Side and a Dark Side; i.e. even if you were confronted by a dozen or so Stormtroopers intent on opening fire on a group of children and the only way to stop them was to use Force Lightning; you do so and even though it was to save lives, you're still going to the Dark Side: and do you think that the Force itself has a will? Or do you view the Force to be nothing but an inanimate energy field: a tool to be used as you see fit where the only "Dark Side" that exists is within the person wielding the power? What do you think?

Personally, I don't think that the Force has an external Light Side or a Dark Side. It is all dependant upon what the motivations of the user are, and under what circumstances what power is used. I certainly don't think that a Jedi using Lightning in the scenerio above would be going dark.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:27 am

I do believe there is a distinct Light-side and Dark-side (I believe this is George Lucas' position as well, though I can't remember for sure). Certain individuals’ eyes turning yellow also seems to be a Dark-side characteristic.

And Force Lightening is not inherently bad or necessarily a Dark-side trait. From what I remember, most Jedi Masters don't like it due to its offensive nature.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in the Trek/Wars forum? The description says "For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek." Notice the "and/or", meaning it doesn't have to be both Trek and Wars related to go there.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:45 am

Socar wrote:EDIT: Shouldn't this be in the Trek/Wars forum? The description says "For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek." Notice the "and/or", meaning it doesn't have to be both Trek and Wars related to go there.
Agreed.

Bambi
Redshirt

Post by Bambi » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:23 am

The Force is not Dark or Light and neither are the powers Force Lightning is not a dark Force and neither is Force Choke it all depends on how the Jedi Uses it as too whether or not he or she is Dark Or Light.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:42 am

Bambi wrote:The Force is not Dark or Light
You state that as a fact, and yet there is not really any conclusive evidence either way. Keep in mind that from what I remember, most of the Jedi disagreed with Jacen Solo's view on that. Obviously, something was different about the force that causing people's (such as Palpatine and Anakin) eyes to turn yellow. This could very well be a dark side trait.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:31 am

Well, my two cents on the matter is as follows:

Taking all of the EU and the movies into account, it would seem that the force has a real duality to it. Games for instance often portray light side Jedis unable to wield dark side powers and so forth. In other words, the force is broken into two different sides.

But, if you disregard the EU and only look at the movies, the matter seems to change somewhat. So the theory i support is that the force is just the force. There is no dark side and no light side, they are only labels to describe different aspects of it. The way the Jedi and the Sith tap into its power, as well as their teachings, are different, and that's where the scism comes from. Not because of the nature of the force itself.

I do believe there is a certain addictive nature to the darkside though. The more you use it, the more you become addicted to it and the more you will need it. And in the end you will have changed completly, having clouded your judgement and concience to some degree.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:20 pm

How can midichlorians be evil?And how can an energy field have evil side?

Clearly they mean "the dark side of Force usage" here.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:21 pm

SailorSaturn13 wrote:How can midichlorians be evil?
Well, there's been some discussion of weather the midiclorians themselves are the ones causing the force, or if they are there only because the host is force sensitive.

On the other hand, i don't really see how some form of microscopic lifeform can be either good or evil.
SailorSaturn13 wrote:And how can an energy field have evil side?
How can an energy field give people Jedi like powers? Seriously, this is the part where the fiction in science fiction comes in. Who's to say how it should or should not work. All we have to work with is what's said and seen on-screen. Applying real life science to something like the force can only end in a disaster.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:59 am

My tip is that it's all about concentration. The more concentrated you are, the more Force you can use. Now. emotions come in the way of that. You can either suppress them and get clear mind (light side) or you use tbasic he most emotions, such as anger., to maintain concentration.