Sovereign vs. Venator

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Sovereign vs. Venator

Post by Nonamer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:25 am

I believe I posted this on another site with less than desirable results. Maybe this time it will be different So what happens if a Sovereign class starship from the UFP went up against a Venator from the OR. The Venator has full fighter complements and both are fully loaded. They meet in a small enclosed stretch of space no more than a 1 million km on a side and neither can leave or surrender. Who wins?

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:09 am

Is this a Sovereign class circa 2373 or 2379?

AFT
Bridge Officer

Post by AFT » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:43 am

The Sovereign variant’s weapons and capabilities are more or less well defined but what about the Venator? I know next to nothing about its capabilities, except for what is shown on the movie itself of course but that doesn’t tell us much. The opening says “full fighter complement” but just how many fighters is that? I’m afraid I don’t know enough about the Venator to make a call on this one, although since canon information on Imperial ships is rather scarce in any case is just an educated guess at most.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:04 am

By the way, what is the canon policy for this topic?

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:10 pm

I've always assumed they were pretty similar except for a few extra torpedo launchers. Go with the 2379 one if you want. The Venator is somewhat well defined in the opening battle in ROTS. For all else not well defined, assuming something similar to a ISD since it was its direct predecessor (in the movies). Use whatever canon policy you like, as long as you respect someone else's canon policy.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Using just films the Sovereign takes out the Venator in a few volleys, before the Venator even gets in range.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 am

Depends on what we consider canon.

Going by what we saw in the movie really doesn't give us all that much to work with. Although the Venators did accelerate quite rapidly when they took off from Coruscant, indicating quite a substantial power generating method.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:25 am

l33telboi wrote:Depends on what we consider canon.

Going by what we saw in the movie really doesn't give us all that much to work with. Although the Venators did accelerate quite rapidly when they took off from Coruscant, indicating quite a substantial power generating method.
Very much so. Republic attack cruisers have an ability to take off from a planet and reach the hyper limit in a quite short amount of time; if we accept the common size figures touted about, hundreds of petawatts overall is a minimum sustained power figure for the repulsorlifts.

Treating the jump to lightspeed (i.e., hyperdrive) as an interruptable process, then SW ships have a peak generation of at least 17 megawatts per kilogram of dry mass. (Treating the strength of g as the limiting factor, they would seem to have less than 400 MW/kg on the upper end).

Most likely, these are ships with low exawatt peak outputs; as I note here, one exawatt provides for a 2.8-60 million ton ship transitioning to lightspeed at the hyper limit, depending on which ANH hyper limit figures you use.

As I would estimate the Venator at around 20 million cubic meters, it probably can generate an exawatt. This is not some fly we're talking about here. Conservation of energy is not a very forgiving mistress.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:03 am

Most of the arguments from the Excelsior vs. ISD thread ar still applicable here and since vote-wise the Excelsior leads 7 to 2 I think it is safe to say that the Soveriegn wins also. Especially since the Sovereign is better than the Excelsior and the Venator is worse than the ISD.