The YAWCF debate (poll)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

What is CRITICAL LINE A?

Corellia
50%
Another "known" system in the Corellian sector
No votes
Another "known" system, but not in the Corellian sector
No votes
Some random backwater system not listed on Wookieepedia
50%

Total votes: 4

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote: Molan Zhet is shaping up to be a clever and cautious character. He's not missing many tricks here.
You wouldn't happen to be writing a Marty Stu in this here story are you, JMS? ;-)
Jedi Master Spock wrote: I will say, I'm slightly surprised to have seen the option where Mzz'kiti reports his blood type and breakfast take the lead in the poll. There are a good number of questions for you to weigh in on as well, and I'd like to hear votes on all of them before I write the fourth episode.
I think that's just people responding to the sometimes silly nature of the story. Although we could find canon precidence for that level of Federation sensor capability... ST:ENT's "Silent Enemy" has the relatively primitive sensors of the NX-01 being able to discerne the DNA of the mystery aliens, and in TOS' "The Enteprise Incident", Chekov was able to pinpoint Mr. Spock in amongst hundreds of nearly-identical-to-Vulcan Romulans.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:28 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:You wouldn't happen to be writing a Marty Stu in this here story are you, JMS? ;-)
I knew I had to be missing an essential element of bad fan fiction. You've now reminded me of that.

I'm not sure he makes the best Mary Sue, but that's not a bad suggestion.
I think that's just people responding to the sometimes silly nature of the story. Although we could find canon precidence for that level of Federation sensor capability... ST:ENT's "Silent Enemy" has the relatively primitive sensors of the NX-01 being able to discerne the DNA of the mystery aliens, and in TOS' "The Enteprise Incident", Chekov was able to pinpoint Mr. Spock in amongst hundreds of nearly-identical-to-Vulcan Romulans.
-Mike
I almost didn't even put that option in. Then I thought "Hey, I need something that would sound completely out of place if it were said onscreen."

Well, I did say that I was going to be leaning on the creative powers of everybody else. If it wins, it probably won't be the last element of this story that surprises me.

By the way, we have a tie at this point. I hope we don't have a tie when I start writing the next episode, that might make things tricky. There are consequences to consider.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm

If there is a tie, then you can try a synthesis of all the elements, and go from there.
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:If there is a tie, then you can try a synthesis of all the elements, and go from there.
-Mike
It would actually be very easy to combine the two tied responses. It would make SW sensors look rather childish by comparison, though...

I really hope that this does not happen.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 pm

What'd you expect? SW sensors that are awesome in the EU can only look across a star system, while average can ST sensors can peer in some detail over at least a few light years.
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:42 am

Yes, but that is only distance, the accuracy and detail of the sensors are rather good. Especially the battle sensors. They can keep track of, and identify, hundreds to thousands of ships in a battle at one time with accuracy.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:24 am

I would hope at least SW sensors can do that much. But look at the samples I provided from ST in the above posting; reading DNA from several kilometers away with relatively primitive sensors, diserning a particular vulcan science officer on a ship full of Romulans from many kilometers away.... Well, SW positively sucks by comparison.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:00 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:If there is a tie, then you can try a synthesis of all the elements, and go from there.
-Mike
It would actually be very easy to combine the two tied responses. It would make SW sensors look rather childish by comparison, though...

I really hope that this does not happen.
Well, the poll is still tied. I'm going to need some help here, folks. There needs to be some serious weighing-in.

Also, nobody's given a percentage confidence figure for the wormhole probe scanning the stormtroopers and coming up with "human" as a tentative identification...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 am

Try a mix of option number three and number six number of life signs and some tech detail on the SD. That makes it detailed, but not overly detailed. Sound fair enough?
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:30 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote: Also, nobody's given a percentage confidence figure for the wormhole probe scanning the stormtroopers and coming up with "human" as a tentative identification...
That reminds me, you can work in something from VOY's "Scorpion, Part I". In that first part, a long-range probe from Voyager encounters and is taken aboard a Borg cube ship. The last thing the probe sends back is an image of a drone peering in at it before the telemetry cuts out.
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:03 am

I have given my opinion on the percentage confidence number. I believe that it would be high(in the 90s) but not necessarily 100%, I mean, they are from different galaxies.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:27 am

Well, if nobody breaks the tie this weekend, I think I should just flip a coin or something...

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:04 pm

That looks to be taken care of.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 am

And so it is! OK, since the tie got broken, that will be written in. Episode 04 will be up soon.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:46 am

Episode 04 is up!

We have the following blanks to fill:
  • NUMBER A: Newtons of sheer gravitational force that strained the Cheron.
  • NUMBER B: Joules of energy related to the real-space flare of the anomaly.
  • EPITHETS A, B, and C: Aiyira bemoaning the Andorian selling the rebels up the creek.
  • EMOTION A: What Andorian antenna-twitches look like to a Twi'lek.
  • EMOTION B: Feeling that Roaman Lekva would like to remain hidden from his fellow rebels.
We also have a few questions - most importantly, perhaps:
  • Will Commander Shovas accept the invitation to dinner?
Note in particular regarding the numbers that the sensors of the Judgment suffered temporary impairment, and that the Cheron did not suffer structural damage, although it did have an unenjoyable ride.

I promise, next episode there will be some more common technical questions up for consideration.