The YAWCF debate (poll)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

What is CRITICAL LINE A?

Corellia
50%
Another "known" system in the Corellian sector
No votes
Another "known" system, but not in the Corellian sector
No votes
Some random backwater system not listed on Wookieepedia
50%

Total votes: 4

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Mike D wrote:the SW shields are not set up to block the transporter's beam, what with all the potential frequency "holes" that should exist in them that would not be in the Alpha Quadrant ST ship shields that have long been adapted against such a thing
That's right, SW shields aren't fully enclosed bubble shields like ST.
I had forgotten about that...
In that case, I believe you are right, ST sensors should be able to find a "hole" the first few encounters and use their transporters as they wish.

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:21 pm

The Corporal wrote:
Shepard and Kowalski also hale from Stargate...
Oh? I don't think I've seen past season 3.
Well Shepard's from the late seasons and Atlantis. Kowalski, was actually in the movie and about half the first season before he got goulded and died.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Flectarn wrote:
Well Shepard's from the late seasons and Atlantis. Kowalski, was actually in the movie and about half the first season before he got goulded and died.
Wait. That was Jack's buddy right?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Yup...

He was played by Frenchie Stewart in the movie, and... somebody else in the series... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 pm

Random name (but not through a generator):

Roaman Lekva
Jurr Sejarin
Duke Grandash of Begward
Hussul Kosheb
Ark'Ka Nill Sonbar
Shoopi Shoopi <3
Vandrek Coldspear
Gurrion Parcost
Rhegg Traomonnes
Ron-Ku-Dar Voostel
Sogharom Puushyr
Xej Kaalopas
Neerhin Qijushun

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 am

Episode 3, "All too human," is now up, a few days late but hopefully every bit as unimaginative and bad as it would be had I posted it on Friday instead of arguing with Kane Starkiller over the size of the Federation.

The featured question is on the poll. It's asking you to fill in an important line of dialog. Other questions include:

What percentage confidence did the probe's scan - not designed to pick up biosigns - give us that the Imperials were human?

What's a good female Twi'lek rebel name? I didn't like the sound of any of the ones already listed for her.

What's going to happen to Ensign Hoop?

And, perhaps most importantly: Would the rebels' escape plan work, or would the Star Destroyer be able to detect them as they powered up to skim through the upper atmosphere?

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:00 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Episode 3, "All too human," is now up, a few days late but hopefully every bit as unimaginative and bad as it would be had I posted it on Friday instead of arguing with Kane Starkiller over the size of the Federation.

The featured question is on the poll. It's asking you to fill in an important line of dialog. Other questions include:

What percentage confidence did the probe's scan - not designed to pick up biosigns - give us that the Imperials were human?

What's a good female Twi'lek rebel name? I didn't like the sound of any of the ones already listed for her.

What's going to happen to Ensign Hoop?

And, perhaps most importantly: Would the rebels' escape plan work, or would the Star Destroyer be able to detect them as they powered up to skim through the upper atmosphere?
I would say that the probe probably came up with a very high percentage confidence. Both races are human and the probe was in close proximity to many people.

female Twi'lek usually have simple, sexy names. i.e. Alema, Aayla, Numa...

Simple, sleek and sexy.

Amara-name meaning "grace"
Aiyira-name meaning "chosen one"
Bahati-"luck"
Lesedi-"light"

I think any of these might work for first names. No idea about surnames for twi'leks, though.

Judging by the many EU works I have read, I would say that it is very likely that they could get away unnoticed, especially if this gas giant had any kind of a solid center. If it did, then they could do a cold start and use the repulsers to scoot around to the other side of the planet and then kick in the thrusters and blast out of the gravity well and make their jump. If there is no solid core, they would leave an ion trail that might, might, be picked up by the SDs scanners. Once they are on the other side of the planet, they would not show up on the scanners.

There was actually an incident in an EU book I read recently, where a small part of the GAs second fleet hid in the atmosphere of a gas giant for an ambush on a nearby gathering of enemy forces.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:48 am

I suppose one also needs to establish roughly how many crew members are on the Judgment as a Venator class SD aka Republic Attack Cruiser.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:28 am

this page might be useful.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Venator

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:44 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:I suppose one also needs to establish roughly how many crew members are on the Judgment as a Venator class SD aka Republic Attack Cruiser.
Generally between 7,400 and 9,400, depending on how many troops you feel the Judgement should have on her for chasing down the rebel scum.
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:56 am

almost precisely what my link said. Generally, it is around 7000 for the crew and up to 2000 additional troops, along with thousands of maintenance, protocol, astromech, security, interrogation, and basic worker droids.

It would also have approximately 500 shuttles and starfighters in it's docking bays. Just a note, even for a ship the size of the Cherron, standard Imperial procedure would mandate a starfighter launch in the current situation. What with the Cherron pulling away from the Judgement and all that jazz. They would not necessarily open fire, but about two squadrons(12 fighters) would be launched for pursuit, as the Cherron would be much faster than an ISD.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:36 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote: almost precisely what my link said. Generally, it is around 7000 for the crew and up to 2000 additional troops, along with thousands of maintenance, protocol, astromech, security, interrogation, and basic worker droids.
I remembered what the RoTS: ICS book said for the crew compliment for the Venator, though that could be shown easily by the movies or the TCW as being greater or less than that.
Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote: It would also have approximately 500 shuttles and starfighters in it's docking bays. Just a note, even for a ship the size of the Cherron, standard Imperial procedure would mandate a starfighter launch in the current situation. What with the Cherron pulling away from the Judgement and all that jazz. They would not necessarily open fire, but about two squadrons(12 fighters) would be launched for pursuit, as the Cherron would be much faster than an ISD.

Captain Zhet did, in fact, order a fighter launch early on. Whether or not he decides to go through with it, especially given the unusual nature of what he's dealing with in first contact ever with extra-galactics, he's probably going to hold off and try to assess what exactly he's dealing with, stalling for time even with continuing to talk to Captain Robinson. On the other hand, he may want to see if these new arrivals might make good allies for the Empire...
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:45 am

That must have slipped my mind. Forget that, then.

Also, I did not mean that two squadrons was a total of 12 fighters but that there were 12 fighters in each squadron.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:05 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote: Also, I did not mean that two squadrons was a total of 12 fighters but that there were 12 fighters in each squadron.
That's just more fodder for the Cheron's phasers to vape. ;-)
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:29 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Captain Zhet did, in fact, order a fighter launch early on. Whether or not he decides to go through with it, especially given the unusual nature of what he's dealing with in first contact ever with extra-galactics, he's probably going to hold off and try to assess what exactly he's dealing with, stalling for time even with continuing to talk to Captain Robinson. On the other hand, he may want to see if these new arrivals might make good allies for the Empire...
-Mike
Molan Zhet is shaping up to be a clever and cautious character. He's not missing many tricks here.

I will say, I'm slightly surprised to have seen the option where Mzz'kiti reports his blood type and breakfast take the lead in the poll. There are a good number of questions for you to weigh in on as well, and I'd like to hear votes on all of them before I write the fourth episode.