The YAWCF debate (poll)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

What is CRITICAL LINE A?

Corellia
50%
Another "known" system in the Corellian sector
No votes
Another "known" system, but not in the Corellian sector
No votes
Some random backwater system not listed on Wookieepedia
50%

Total votes: 4

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:23 am

Praeothmin wrote:Actually, according to the TNG tech manual, full impulse is 1/4 lightspeed, or 75 000 km/s.
I tend to think of "one third impulse" as acceleration, not top speed. Makes a whole lot more sense that way. And I generally prefer my own fanfics to that of the TM. :P

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:13 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:What about the Helmsman for the Judgement being a Zabrak?
I have also not given the Judgment helmsman a name. I was too disheartened by all the pop-up ads on the random name generators.

I will say Imperial officers have a strong tendency to be human, in the movies and in the EU...

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:35 am

But Zabrak are cooler than humans...other than that it is very true. The only non human imperial I know of is Thrawn or rather Mith'raw'nuodo. How about Jerek for this helmsman?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Praeothmin wrote: Actually, according to the TNG tech manual, full impulse is 1/4 lightspeed, or 75 000 km/s.
Actually that was not the maximum acceleration possible on impulse power, it was a limitation put in place to prevent excessive time dialation effects. In an emergency, a ship can go considerably faster.
Mike D wrote:That brings up the age old question: Will transporters work through SW shields? ;-)
Praeothmin wrote:I see no reason why they should, except that there was no mention that the Imperial shuttle had them raised at the moment of transport.
I think it should be possible, at least initally, considering that there are a few examples of Federation transporters being able to beam through more primitve shields, like those used by Kazon.
Praeothmin wrote: Why not Caïtian (feline humanoids)?
If that's the case, you can call her M'zzkiti. ;-)
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Mike D wrote:I think it should be possible, at least initally, considering that there are a few examples of Federation transporters being able to beam through more primitve shields, like those used by Kazon.
If we were to assume that SW shields are more primitive then ST shields, which I see no reason to believe or assume...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:46 am

Praeothmin wrote:
Mike D wrote:I think it should be possible, at least initally, considering that there are a few examples of Federation transporters being able to beam through more primitve shields, like those used by Kazon.
If we were to assume that SW shields are more primitive then ST shields, which I see no reason to believe or assume...
Primitive is probably not a good way to describe them. More like they won't be ready to deal with something like a transporter the first few times they are used against them, but later on, they can be easily adjusted to defend against them.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:05 pm

I still don't see why.

In ST, most of the races that could bypass shields had Technobabble on their side (Subspace Transporters, somehow able to ignore shields altoghether, Borg adaptivity, etc...).

The Feds don't have anything "technobabbly" helping them bypass shields, so I don't see why the rayshielding of SW ships would have any problem stopping the annular confinement beam, or the energy "pulse" of the Transporters.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Hm. Still short a name for the chief, folks, I thought two weeks would be enough. Am I going to have to resort to the random name generator again?

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Hm. Still short a name for the chief, folks, I thought two weeks would be enough. Am I going to have to resort to the random name generator again?
Sheppard
Kowalski
Johns
Jones
Kirby
Donlon
Nim

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Those names seem awfully familar....
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 am

Praeothmin wrote:I still don't see why.

In ST, most of the races that could bypass shields had Technobabble on their side (Subspace Transporters, somehow able to ignore shields altoghether, Borg adaptivity, etc...).

The Feds don't have anything "technobabbly" helping them bypass shields, so I don't see why the rayshielding of SW ships would have any problem stopping the annular confinement beam, or the energy "pulse" of the Transporters.
As in the case of the Kazon and a few other Delta Quadrant groups that Voyager was able to get by, the SW shields are not set up to block the transporter's beam, what with all the potential frequency "holes" that should exist in them that would not be in the Alpha Quadrant ST ship shields that have long been adapted against such a thing. Once the transporter is discovered, the Imperials should be able to adapt to it by adjusting their ray shields accordingly.
-Mike

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:08 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Those names seem awfully familar....
-Mike
Lets see:

Mass Effect
The Green Berets character
RL Padre
RL Padre

I think there all good names personally, perhaps not Kowalski. Seems in every American war movie there's a guy with that name.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:10 am

The Corporal wrote: Kowalski. Seems in every American war movie there's a guy with that name.
Doesn't he usually compete with the Token Black Guy to see which one dies first? ;-)
-Mike

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:25 am

The Corporal wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Those names seem awfully familar....
-Mike
Lets see:

Mass Effect
RL Padre
RL Padre

I think there all good names personally, perhaps not Kowalski. Seems in every American war movie there's a guy with that name.
Shepard and Kowalski also hale from Stargate...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:16 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Doesn't he usually compete with the Token Black Guy to see which one dies first? ;-)
-Mike
Usually, though the one in The Green Berets makes it all the way.

Shepard and Kowalski also hale from Stargate...
Oh? I don't think I've seen past season 3.