The YAWCF debate (poll)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

What is CRITICAL LINE A?

Corellia
50%
Another "known" system in the Corellian sector
No votes
Another "known" system, but not in the Corellian sector
No votes
Some random backwater system not listed on Wookieepedia
50%

Total votes: 4

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:58 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:In Zahn's Heir to the Empire, the Chimaera traveled 30,000 light years to Wayland in 5 days. 5 days translates to 120 hours.
Sorry, Airlocke, that is an error as per this quote:

"It took the Chimaera nearly five days at its point four cruising speed to cover the three hundred fifty light-years between Myrkr and Wayland." [ "Heir to the Empire", p. 39 ]

The ISD is capable of 2.9 light years per hour, or about 25,550c. It would take a solid 2 weeks for reinforcements to arrive across one thousand light years.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: The YAWCF debate (poll)

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:11 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:The story here is an unimaginative crossover fanfic rooted in the VS debate.

Oooooh boy.

My knee-jerk reaction is to have the flame shields prepared when SDN finds out. And make sure they're double-sided.

To be honest, that story, is about as bland as stale bread, and the author has made the dreaded mistake of throwing in a bunch of technobabble as well as burdensome statistics that no one in their right mind would be saying in a situation like that.
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:29 am

My bad, I must have misremembered. I apologize.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:32 am

The Millenium Falcon comment is correct though. Then again, It was written by Karen Traviss, the most infuriating Star Wars of ll-time.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:33 am

No problem, everyone makes mistakes from time-to-time. :-)
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:36 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:The Millenium Falcon comment is correct though. Then again, It was written by Karen Traviss, the most infuriating Star Wars of ll-time.
Where did the 30k ly distance reference come from in the story?
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:38 am

Damn it, here's another one, it was twenty thousand light years for the Falcon, not thirty thousand. I just looked it up in my copy. Forgot to check the page number. It was when Han and Leia were heading back to Corscant and the Falcon began to fall apart, after Han had narrowly escaped an assassination attempt in Bloodlines.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:42 am

It was page 93.

"Han took the Falcon as close to maximum speed as he dared. They spent the three hours that it took to cover the twenty thousand light years to Coruscant watching readouts and indicators."

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:47 am

Assuming the 3 hours timing is correct, then that would make the Falcon capable of 58,400,000c. This is very much at odds with a large number of SW speed quotes. The Malevolence, which was stated to be a fast ship in the TCW series, could make less than 500,000c, or a difference of 116 times!
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:53 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:It was page 93.

"Han took the Falcon as close to maximum speed as he dared. They spent the three hours that it took to cover the twenty thousand light years to Coruscant watching readouts and indicators."
Okay, thanks for providing the quote. See my comments in the other posting about this. Traviss short changes the Clonetroopers, but wanks out the Falcon's drive... ;-)
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:55 am

Well, I assure you that that is what the text says, I remember thinking that that was outlandish at the time, along with many other things(fucking rodian tourists!) but that is what is there. Also, this is about 60 years after the clone wars series, and we are talking about a light freighter that is only about 28 meters in length and not nearly as large as a war ship. But, it is still far-fetched.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:04 am

Well, if you take the quote for what it is, this is Han pushing the ship right to it's very limits of what her hyperdrive can handle. This is not a standard hyperspace speed.
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:05 am

That doesn't make it less ridiculous.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:34 am

You know, I am a hardcore Star Wars fan, but I can't help but cringe every time I see something like this. I realize that there are something like 200 novels now(I think it is in that ball park, I am unsure) but glaring contradictions like this need to be cleared up. 350 light years in 5 days, compared to twenty thousand in 3 hours is ridiculous. If I hadn't misremembered the length of the jump in Heir to the Empire, I wouldn't even have posted that. I hate Karen Traviss.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:39 am

Don't worry, the same thing happens in Star Trek. We have a 25,000 + ly journey to the center of the Milky Way galaxy in about 6 hours in ST:TFF (10-20 million c), and ships barely able to do a thousand c in VOY. Contradictions happen, and it's up to us to try and sort out the outliers from the consistent. But it's not always an easy task.
-Mike