The YAWCF debate (poll)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

What is CRITICAL LINE A?

Corellia
50%
Another "known" system in the Corellian sector
No votes
Another "known" system, but not in the Corellian sector
No votes
Some random backwater system not listed on Wookieepedia
50%

Total votes: 4

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

The YAWCF debate (poll)

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:35 pm

The story here is an unimaginative crossover fanfic rooted in the VS debate. The catch? I'm using fiction to ask specific questions about the VS debate. You will answer through polls and posts, and those answers will be put into the story and affect what happens in the next episode. This will strictly be based on the results of the polls and an averaging of numbers posted.

Eighth batch of questions:
  • The Judgment is somewhat banged up and about a thousand miles off the good hyperlane tracks from Corellia. How long would it take them to hyper to Dantooine?
  • There is a shuttle with a captain on it searching for a planet to recuperate on. Same point of origin. Where does Captain Robinson land and how long does that trip take?
    • It could be Corellia itself.
    • It could be another system near Corellia.
    • It could be another "known" system not in the Corellian sector.
    • It could be some random backwater world.
  • Is there anything that could give away the presence of a cloaked Bird of Prey to the Imperials, aside from the Klingons deciding to catch their notice?[/list

Seventh batch of questions:
    • "WORD A" - whatever residue Federation photon torpedoes might leave.
    • METAL A - something that Imperial fighters are constructed with that Federation ships aren't.
    • METAL B - the opposite, something Federation ships use in quantity that wouldn't be seen in Imperial fighter debris.
    • NUMBER B - How many squadrons of stormtroopers were dispatched to the reactor room. This is a maximum security scramble.
    • STAR WARS SPECIES A - something tough.
    • STAR WARS FOOD A - what Slar made a mess out of.
    Sixth batch of questions:
    • Featured question: Can Shovas and Hoq get back to the shuttle? Or will they be brutally gunned down by stormtroopers?
    • Specifically, we need to ask ourselves this: How useful are phasers on stun going to be against stormtroopers, and how useful will blaster stuns be against a Gorn security officer holding a table in front of him?
    • How many stormtroopers die when the Zabrak sets off his thermal detonator?
    • Last time, we determined that the Cheron, if caught with its shields down, would take a certain amount of damage. After finally raising shields, the Cheron takes some more hits from the Judgment and its fighters. What percentage are the shields at?
    • The Cheron is returning fire - phasers on the fighters, and a couple volleys of photon torpedoes at the Judgment. What's that going to do to Captain Zhet's forces?
    Fifth batch of questions:
    • How many non-humans are among the crew of the Cheron?
    • What particle is involved with the bolts the Y-wings fired upon the rebel freighter, disabling it?
    • Are those flak bursts surrounding the ship? Shield flares? Or what?
    • What happens to the Rebels? (featured question in top-line poll).
    • Also, what shall the Imperial technician and Federation security crewman be?
    • Perhaps more importantly, of what species is this imposing large individual? It's not human!
    • Last, but not least, when a Venator Star Destroyer, aka Republic Attack Cruiser, fires upon an Ambassador class starship from 200 kilometers away as the latter attempts to beam back its away team, what happens?

Fourth batch of questions:
    • NUMBER A: Newtons of sheer gravitational force that strained the Cheron.
    • NUMBER B: Joules of energy related to the real-space flare of the anomaly.
    • EPITHETS A, B, and C: Aiyira bemoaning the Andorian selling the rebels up the creek.
    • EMOTION A: What Andorian antenna-twitches look like to a Twi'lek.
    • EMOTION B: Feeling that Roaman Lekva would like to remain hidden from his fellow rebels.
    We also have a few questions - most importantly, perhaps:
    • Will Commander Shovas accept the invitation to dinner?
    Our third batch of questions:
    • How many crew members are on the Judgment? (It is a Venator class SD aka Republic Attack Cruiser.)
      What percentage confidence did the probe's scan - not designed to pick up biosigns - give us that the Imperials were human?
    • What's a good female Twi'lek rebel name?
    • What's going to happen to Ensign Hoop?
    • Would the rebels' escape plan work, or would the Star Destroyer be able to detect them as they powered up to skim through the upper atmosphere?
    • Featured question (poll): What information does the U.S.S. Cheron pick up on its scan for human life forms?
    Our second batch of questions:
    • What fraction impulse power does the helmsman use? (Featured question, available in anonymous poll)
    • How far away is the probe when Captain Zhet orders it tractored?
    • What is the strength - in newtons of force or in watts of total power - of the Venator's tractor beam?
    • Can the Rebels intercept and understand the voice transmissions passing between the two ships from their hiding place?
    • When the transporter beam goes off, what do the Imperials think just happened?
    Also taking submissions for the names of the helmswoman on duty at the moment on the Cheron, the current helmsman of the Judgment, and the transporter room operator of the Cheron.

Our first questions are this:
    • If you're a thousand light years from Corellia but not along a major hyperspace corridor, how long until the brand new Empire can send you reinforcements? (Featured question, available in anonymous poll).
    • How massive is the Venator class Star Destroyer aka Republic Attack Cruiser? (Number X - unit: Millions of tons).
    • How fast is it accelerating in this particular case? (Number Y - unit: Gravities).
    • How many times the mass of an Ambassador is this thing, anyway?
    • Can they make contact? (Answer yes/no).
    I eagerly await your answers.
Last edited by Jedi Master Spock on Tue May 26, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 12 times in total.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Re: The YAWCF debate (poll)

Post by l33telboi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:If you're a thousand light years from Corellia but not along a major hyperspace corridor, how long until the brand new Empire can send you reinforcements? (Featured question, available in anonymous poll).
Well, assuming FTL speed is between 50,000c and 1,000,000c, it'd take anything between "days" and "hours". Though 'not along major hyperspace corridor' pretty much gives you permission to assume any speed you like.
How massive is the Venator class Star Destroyer aka Republic Attack Cruiser? (Number X - unit: Millions of tons).
~20,000,000 tons? Though I've seen a few canonical figures that would indicate Star Wars suffers from the same foam density problem as other verses do.
How fast is it accelerating in this particular case? (Number Y - unit: Gravities).
Well, given their performance in the movies and Clone Wars series they could probably accelerate something between a half and a fourth of their entire length in a second, so ~50g to ~30g.
How many times the mass of an Ambassador is this thing, anyway?
I don't know what an Ambassador is.
Can they make contact? (Answer yes/no).
Yes.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:50 pm

l33telboi wrote:I don't know what an Ambassador is.
I think he means an Federation Ambassador class, the ship in the story but how much mass it posses I couldn't tell you. As far as I know we only have a couple of datapoints on Fed's starship masses both were near or around the million ton mark if I remember.
JMS wrote:Can they make contact? (Answer yes/no).
If by make contact you mean put atmospheric ventilation in their hulls? Then yes. Imperials tend to shoot first and study the remains second.

Anyway as to the poll I voted for days. Travel in Wars is normaly a day or less affair, over good hyperspace lanes presumably, so over a bad patch of space should take considerably longer. That's my two cents on the matter anyway.

Dabat
Bridge Officer

Post by Dabat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:19 pm

-If rienforcements are in the area and ready to go, a few days i'd say. Star Wars speeds are disgustingly fast in well charted lanes, but drop significantly off the major routes, and they almost never go into an area not already charted (this is from EU, but Lucas seems to semi-support it). If rienforcements are not ready to go i'd say at least a week or two.

-Do you mean the +-800 meter Venator (the one focused on in ep 3), or the shorter +-600 meter Acclamator (the one seen in the end of ep 2)? Honestly I have no clue, but i'd go with 20,000,000 like 133telboi.

-Do you mean while in hyperspace? Or after it arrives? The in the movies the ships seem to move at about 20g give or take, but I suppose it could manage at east twice that f it had to.

-I don't know the mass of an Ambassador either. I'd guess from the sixe it outmasses it at least six to one.

-If it is an Old Guard officer, then yes, otherwise the imperial will likely just order the Fed to stand down and prepare to be boarded, and if they do no he will open fire. (this is assuming he believes the ship to be crewed by other humans, I don't think even most imperials will start by opening fire on an 'alien' ship of unknown capabilities).

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Dabat, that would be the ship from Episode 3, and acceleration would be in real space. It's closing to get a good look at the strange saucer-and-nacelles ship.
sonofccn wrote:
l33telboi wrote:I don't know what an Ambassador is.
I think he means an Federation Ambassador class, the ship in the story but how much mass it posses I couldn't tell you. As far as I know we only have a couple of datapoints on Fed's starship masses both were near or around the million ton mark if I remember.
Yes, the Ambassador class it is indeed. Probably one of the more obscure ship classes. The class of the Enterprise-C, seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise." ST-v-SW puts it at 2.8 million cubic meters vs the Galaxy class at 5.8 million cubic meters.

We have two "known" tonnages - the Constitution class, i.e., the TOS/TMP Enterprise (a million tons) and the Intrepid class, i.e., Voyager (700,000 tons), both substantially smaller ships.
If by make contact you mean put atmospheric ventilation in their hulls? Then yes. Imperials tend to shoot first and study the remains second.
By contact, I mean communications contact. This segment ends with the two ships trying to hail each other. This is, by the way, very shortly after the end of the Old Republic.

Dabat
Bridge Officer

Post by Dabat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:28 pm

-A Venator is around 800X300X100 meters I believe (ballpark figure), though the front end tapers significantly. Eyeballing a model I have I would put it's total cubic meters around (1/2(800*300)(100*.875)) meters cubed, or around 10.5 million cubic meters, which sounds about right in my head, compared to a Galaxy class. This is, of course, assuming my 800 meter figure is correct, if not then my figure will need to be scaled up. Which, assuming the average density of the the two ships is equal, the SW ship should weigh about four times as much.

Now, assuming the both ships have 15% of their avalable space taken up by structure, bulkheads, etc.. And assuming the ave. density is equal to that of iron. The Imperial ship comes in at about 12.5 million tons and the Fedie about 3.75 million.

Now, these are a LOT of assumptions. But as we don't really know one way or another, I figure these #'s should be as good as any.

If it is just after the start of the Empire, then the Captain should not be 'evilified' yet, or yet replaced by the sycophantic stupid version of himself, and should be trying to hail the unknown vessel. (just as you have left it)

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Dabat wrote:-A Venator is around 800X300X100 meters I believe (ballpark figure)
It's actually 1,100m long according to the databank.

Dabat
Bridge Officer

Post by Dabat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Is it? What am I thinking of that is 800?

If that is the case then the Imperial ship will come in at about 12.5 million*(1.375^3 (about 2.59961 rounding up to 2.6)) or about 32.5 million tons.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Dabat wrote:Is it? What am I thinking of that is 800?
The Munificent-class (the main warship the CIS uses) is around 800 meters long.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:The story here is an unimaginative crossover fanfic rooted in the VS debate.

Oooooh boy.

My knee-jerk reaction is to have the flame shields prepared when SDN finds out. And make sure they're double-sided.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:The story here is an unimaginative crossover fanfic rooted in the VS debate.
Oooooh boy.

My knee-jerk reaction is to have the flame shields prepared...
I'm not worried. I would like to hear your answers to the questions, though. The more people weigh in, the more reasonable the aggregate answer is likely to seem.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:27 pm

Dabat wrote: -Do you mean the +-800 meter Venator (the one focused on in ep 3), or the shorter +-600 meter Acclamator (the one seen in the end of ep 2)? Honestly I have no clue, but i'd go with 20,000,000 like 133telboi.
A Venator class star destroyer, also known as a Republic cruiser? Just looking at the FX visuals would support something very close in size to the offical dimensions of 1,137 x 548 x 268 meters. Do you have a different scaling somewhere that supports 800 meters?

The Acclamator, also known as the Republic assault ship's dimensions are supposed to be 756 x 460 x 183 meters.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:55 pm

If you're a thousand light years from Corellia but not along a major hyperspace corridor, how long until the brand new Empire can send you reinforcements? (Featured question, available in anonymous poll).
Well, according to some EU sources, 1000 LY could take a week, so I'd say at least a few days, depending on how uncharted the route is, how many nebulas there are, etc...
How massive is the Venator class Star Destroyer aka Republic Attack Cruiser? (Number X - unit: Millions of tons).

I believe, if memory serves, that the E-D technical manual puts it somewhere around 4 500 000 metric tons.
If the Ambassador has half the volume, then it has half the mass, or something around 2 250 000 metric tons.
Then, using the calculated volume for the Venators, you can use the "rule of 3" to find the Empire's ships' mass.
It seems, in The Clone Wars, that both the Munificient and the Venators seemed pretty equal in length.
Where does the 1100 meters figure come from?
How fast is it accelerating in this particular case? (Number Y - unit: Gravities).
I'd go with the figures that were derived from The Clone Wars, 30 -50G.
How many times the mass of an Ambassador is this thing, anyway?
See answer above.
Can they make contact? (Answer yes/no).
Yes, I don't see why they could not communicate.
Both use subspace communications, both speak English, and ST has the Universal Translator if Galactic Common and English are supposed to be different languages.
Last edited by Praeothmin on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:31 am

Y'know, just a more general comment here, but this sort of thing seems like it could be a lot of fun to me. Personally I was thinking about making a fanfic where faction x boards a derelict vessel and finds faction y onboard. Then the readers would get to decide on what choices the boarders make and how the specific versus elements would go. I.e., how many shots before gun x kills critter y.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:48 am

In Zahn's Heir to the Empire, the Chimaera traveled 30,000 light years to Wayland in 5 days. 5 days translates to 120 hours. If we used this as an example for your situation it would take an Imperial Class Star Destroyer 4 hours to get there. I believe that the Venator is a little faster, correct? Then it would be a little under 4 hours. Now, I am unsure of the Hyperspace route they used to travel to Wayland, but I would assume that it was not a particularly well known route considering that it was chosen for being an anonymous planet. Now, this is entirely based upon EU numbers, but given this information, I would definitely say it would take only a few hours(assuming that the reinforcements were ready).

As an further example, the Millenium Falcon(an admittedly faster ship) traveled 30, 000 light years along a well known Hyperspace lane in right around 3 hours. So the speed shown by Zahn could very easily been along an unknown route.

Also, Corellia lies along multiple, major Hyperspace lanes, so in order to send the reinforcements to this unknown lane, they would travel along a known route for as long as possible, then make a micro jump to the intended point. Again all of this comes from several different EU sources.