The YAWCF debate (poll)

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

What is CRITICAL LINE A?

Corellia
50%
Another "known" system in the Corellian sector
No votes
Another "known" system, but not in the Corellian sector
No votes
Some random backwater system not listed on Wookieepedia
50%

Total votes: 4

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: The YAWCF debate (poll)

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
  • What happens if a cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey (230m) attaches itself to an attack cruiser (Venator, 1140m) and that ship goes to hyperspace?
The Falcon could easily get away with such a trick since it is very small and several orders of magnitude lighter in mass than the BoP in question. That being said, it would depend largely on where on the Judgement the BoP landed. The landing gear contact sound might go unnoticed. However, that being said, the way the cruiser handles with over 100,000 metric tons of added mass may give it away, as well as the ship's performance in hyperspace. Not to mention, there is a repair droid that will most certainly be listed as missing, and it would be known where it was working on the hull...
[*]How long did it take Commander Shovas to get to Miktoraan, the obscure world not found in Wookieepedia?
Days. This world is presumably nearby after all.
[*](Old but still needs more hard number opinions before I put a number into the story) How many gravities of acceleration did the Cheron pull when rushing for the anomaly?[/list]
Same as the refit E-1701 in ST:TMP (3,000 Gs).
For bonus points, you can weigh in on the Trandoshan's probable reaction to the last line of this episode.
He hits Shovas for making a pass at him. Conversely he does his species equivalent of blush and starts flirting with the poor Andorian. Lots of potential comedy gold here.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:34 am

And so...
  • NAME A: We have our first female Imperial officer on scene! What's her name? Not that the captain remembers it...
  • NAME B: Imperial ensign also needs a name.
  • NUMBER A: The previous vote established that the Cheron moved at a whopping 3,000g when bugging out. How many times faster is this than the Judgment?
  • TIME A: How long it takes the governor of Cestus III to get a firm plan of action back after sending a subspace message directed to Starfleet HQ.
  • TIME B: How long it takes other Federation starships to show up to Cestus III in response to a call for backup?
  • CLASS NAME: Which class of Klingon battlecruiser is on scene? In a trio, no less!

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:40 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote: NUMBER A: The previous vote established that the Cheron moved at a whopping 3,000g when bugging out. How many times faster is this than the Judgment?
As the opening post's story link is currently going nowhere, I can only presume we refer to a TNG-era Ambassador and an early-Imperial Venator. Given the engine boost maneuver over Ryloth I would be hard-pressed to argue for over 10g unless antigravs are an option. Antigravs throw SW numbers way up, where they can be used.
TIME A: How long it takes the governor of Cestus III to get a firm plan of action back after sending a subspace message directed to Starfleet HQ.
HQ as in Earth and not a nearer base? Maybe a couple of days at worst. But DS9 and Earth had realtime comms. Frankly, I wouldn't make subspace transmission flight time the limiting factor for an established colony world like Cestus.
TIME B: How long it takes other Federation starships to show up to Cestus III in response to a call for backup?
Treating it as a frontier world, some Miranda-Class fartsniffer that happened to be nearish could be there in two to six days, or an Intrepid Class could zip in to see what was up in a matter of hours.

Pondering the lay of the land, by stardate, the Enterprise-Prime was previously near the Omicron Delta region ("Shore Leave") prior to "Arena". The Cestus message drawing them there in non-emergency capacity was from a day before. The outpost was considered isolated and exposed at the time, so the Enterprise was just lucky, I'd guess, but maybe they weren't far. I don't know of any clues as to the location of Gorn space, but the only other potential long shot is Omicron Theta. If the nomenclature is like constellations then the Omicron So-and-So systems could be spread hundreds of light-years apart in a rough line from Earth, but perhaps since that isn't a constellation it is used to refer to significant systems in the Omicron sector. That seems confirmed by Omicron Alpha and Beta on "Inheritance" Okudagrams.

The prior and next episodes after "Datalore" feature visits to places Federation ships had not contacted in decades (the Jarada and Angel One), and yet there was commercial transport available at Omicron Theta previously.

Long story short (too late), I would guesstimate a day or two.
CLASS NAME: Which class of Klingon battlecruiser is on scene? In a trio, no less!
If the Klingon hostilities or Dominion War are temporally nearby you could justify K't'Inga style.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:39 am

Oh, right. I did some re-indexing to turn invisible posts visible. Here.

As far as timeline goes, right now, my working assumption is that this Ambassador is a shiny bright ship-of-the-line at the moment, the best and shiniest ship Starfleet has to offer.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:02 pm

The first entry already has the Imperial cruiser doing 30g acceleration so there is your open space number.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:34 am

2046 wrote:The first entry already has the Imperial cruiser doing 30g acceleration so there is your open space number.
Ah! Missed that.

Consistency should apply, then, that answers that one.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 am

Consistency and continuity are the hobgoblins of a quality product. As this was ostensibly intended to not be one, do as you please. ;-)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:19 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:And so..
  • NAME A: We have our first female Imperial officer on scene! What's her name? Not that the captain remembers it...
Kyoulin Eltanin. Oh and you should make her one of those Notice Me Senpai types towards Captain Zhet. Making her a yandere would result in great fun, whether directed at fellow Imperials, Rebel Scum, or Starfleet females.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:[*]NAME B: Imperial ensign also needs a name.
Bill Reomup.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:[*]NUMBER A: The previous vote established that the Cheron moved at a whopping 3,000g when bugging out. How many times faster is this than the Judgment?
I believe 30 gs was the previously established number.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:[*]TIME A: How long it takes the governor of Cestus III to get a firm plan of action back after sending a subspace message directed to Starfleet HQ.
Given this is set in the very early 24th century, I'd make no more than 2 days tops round trip.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:[*]TIME B: How long it takes other Federation starships to show up to Cestus III in response to a call for backup?
At least one ship shows up within a few hours to a day at most and up to 20 more show up over the course of a week.
Jedi Master Spock wrote: [*]CLASS NAME: Which class of Klingon battlecruiser is on scene? In a trio, no less![/list]
Older ships, Kolothos-class D-5s or K'Tinga-class D-7s.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:43 am

I will note that I do seem to recall a figure for how long Cestus III is by subspace radio and ship from DS9 as of the late 24th century - respectively, two weeks ("Family Business") and eight weeks at maximum warp for a freighter ("Way of the Warrior").

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:33 am

From "Family Business":

KASIDY: It's not what you think. It's kind of a family obligation. You see, my youngest brother, he's a colonist on Cestus Three.

SISKO: That's on the other side of the Federation.

KASIDY: It's so far away, it takes two weeks for a subspace transmission to get here and I'm expecting one tonight. I promised my brother I'd listen to it as it came in.

SISKO: I hope nothing's wrong.

I don't know whether this is via civilian subspace or Starfleet, but it seems a bit too slow compared to the fact that we have, as Robert correctly pointed out, seen real time communications with Earth or other known very distant locations. In TOS we saw real time communications in "The Alternative Factor" between Commodore Barstow at Starfleet Command and Kirk on the Enterprise and very soon after the wink out phenomena. Even in the 22nd century, the NX-01 was able to maintain real time communications with Earth, provided they could keep launching and maintaining their network of subspace relay satellites.

So for the purposes of your story, you have to decide what best fits the situation. Slow communications fits with keeping the characters isolated and their resources relatively limited while faster communications allows for more resources and the Federation and Starfleet to mobilize a larger response. So, decide what kind of story you're telling: Plucky Heroes on Their Own versus Big Epic War Story, etc.
-Mike