Why even pretend?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: Why even pretend?

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed May 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
You know, the larger Jemmie Bugs really weren't outputting much DET firepower either. Their disruptors were seen, for example, hitting ice asteroids and doing nothing until they'd suddenly pop. Even the energy for the popping part would hardly be huge, considering the size and speed of the resulting debris.
Then you can compare the size of the Jemmie Bugs and the Slave-I, and the fact that the Slave-I has a far superior rate of fire
we've seen them absolutely shred Romulan and Fed cap ships and fire power like the type your suggesting isn't going to do anything against those ships and those asteroids had parts that where getting sliced off and what have you

slave1's not doing more then making a Vorta laugh these are the same ships that had no problem smashing into a planet after falling from orbit and suffering damage that was repairable
Mr. Oragahn wrote: [

Apparently they didn't, or if they had any, something prevented them from putting them up. It's not impossible. When you look at the catastrophe of the nuclear plants at Fukushima, you see that even the backup generators were down.
middle of battle and anything can happen I suppose..all the same though
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Those who go down were those manning those turrets with a limited arc of fire. They're naturally exposed, and I'm not even sure the windows, which can retain air, were capable of providing any form of shielding against bolts. They essentially were exposed pillboxes.
It doesn't mean that there wasn't copious amounts of armour beneath. It's not a bad design either because you do need your weapons to stick out. If they had been stuffed deeper inside the crust, their firing range would have been completely useless against such crafts, and yet they clearly were intended to shoot down small crafts, considering their caliber and the orientation of the windows. They were not pointing at the stars above them.
they was going down inside the DS little marching groups inside lighten corridors getting smashed up

User1619
Padawan

Post by User1619 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:01 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Heroheeto, I am confused as to why one of your first posts was that you proved "again and again" something, when you just joined a few hours prior.
HeroHeeto wrote:Star Wars is old-hat sci-fi, using the old tech involving lasers and fusion etc. which came about with radio-shows and comic-books.
Clearly you are debating based on pseudoscience. Lasers and fusion are not old tech, nor are they silly tech, they are technological concepts grounded in reality.

In contrast, Star Trek still uses stupid organic technology and hails it as being stronger than 'standard' technology, while using unscientific phasers
There's nothing unscientific about subspace modulation-- it's just not ANTIQUE sci-fi like lasers.
and making stupid term mistakes such as "gigawatts per second".
Kinda like "we attack in five par-secs."
But this hardly matters. What matters is performance, and Star Wars has the advantage here. Their weapons are more powerful (gigatons vs megatons), their shields are more powerful (teratons vs megatons), their FTL speeds are far higher (10's million vs 10's thousands) and their industry is far larger (millions of worlds vs hundreds of worlds).
Sure, they just never DEMONSTRATED it in the movies.
You want some vaseline with that wank? Or are you good with just arbitrarily and insanely adding some extra zero's to the figures, in defiance of all logic or on-screen evidence? That always gets you warsies off.
All of these are supported by author's fiat, canon facts.
Sure, in the Extended Universe-- bigger, longer and uncut; talk about wanking! ROTFLMAO
(And YOU talk about "unscientific," when those figures could NEVER be reached by fusion-- so they reach for the HYPERWANKER arguments! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!)
The only rebuttal to the ICS's, Technical Journels, novels like Star Wars: Slave Ship, etc are to whine about them being inconsistent with the rest of Star Wars (even though the mandalorians 4000 years before the movies were using gigaton level nuclear weapons,
Ok, he's gone off the deep end... bellysmacking off the cliffs of Acapulco has GOTTA hurt!

Well what do you expect from someone who's blind AND has hairy palms?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Yes, the Empire post Marek is probably the worst. It now has the Death Star to play around, which although it's a good tool, got lost in what? A couple weeks?
Pre-Marek, the Empire doesn't have that thing. It doesn't even have super star destroyers, afaik. And it still has a bit of the senate that still exists, and would logically count more traditional war veterans and naval captains than the same Empire did after ANH.
Even the EU is clear on that, regarding the entrance of the Dak (Mon Cal) into the war. It was a late affair. So in fact, picking the Empire from ANH and beyond has appeared to actually be the worst period. It's really decrepit and falling apart.

Before that, it's largely uncontested.

Mith, I didn't ignore the importance of Mon Cal, but I cannot ignore the fact that the Emperor kept 10% of the overall fleet mothballed. He could do that, and the fleet he had at Byss was still large.
My rationalization was that he lacked crews for them, and that changed when he produced clones again.

The Empire pre-ANH really goes into a great expansion phase, growing from 100,000 worlds under its jurisdiction to more than a million.

We also both covered the question of the Empire trying to get into UFP territory. The UFP knows its own space better, and has much more support from the population. It doesn't suffer from guerilla raids as far as I can tell. It did have its own enemies though, so at some times, the UFP really was weakened, and those times would be the best moments when the Empire could, by act of plot, be connected to the UFP's territories.

We also learned more about the hyperspace routes, and contrary to what people like Lord Vespasian would pretend, it's a more complex affair than merely sending probes or brute forcing their way into unknown space. If anything, in the EU, the utter lack of major colonization and advancement into the Unknown Regions should really tell something to those ignorant warsies about that 800 pound elephant in the room.
Mith wrote:
First off, I would disagree with you here Oragahn. The problem with SW is that their weapons design is behind modern ship designs. The whole 'cover your ship with guns and broadside the shit out of each other' was old hat after WWII. SW should have converted into more modern styles of using missiles and torpedoes to hit their targets rather than spamming the enemy with plasma bolts. Anyone outside their immediate threat range is going to have little trouble evading fire.
Yeah but we see that there's rarely anyone outside of their firing range. If you use visuals, all of TCWS shows ships coming out of hyperspace ontop of enemy crafts, and it seems they just prefer put shields at full and close the distance, and once the gap is closed, they power up the guns.

It's nuBattlestars with shields. Plus SW also uses jamming, and the guiding systems don't strike me at particularly that advanced. If the missiles used artificial eye globes, blinding them would be kinda easy in such an advanced society: plenty of flashes and plasma and that's it. And it's precisely what they can do. We see plenty of nuclear-like flashes in ROTJ, and the bolts have been shown to flak if needed. They could easily make their rains of terajoule bolts flak and blow all those missiles out of the sky.
However, they have nothing to intercept bolts other than shields.

Now, spamming with missiles insn't an alien concept to the Empire, and it actually happens to be efficient at times when the imperial ships are taken by surprise. Guri blew one wby firing an aft volley at the bridge of an ISD with her craft; the empire has gunboats relying on more missiles; torpedo spheres combine TLs with missiles; spacetrooper suits have missiles launchers as their prime weaponry; and all sides use bombers to close the distance armed with missiles.

By virtue of the EU, the Empire also had at some point some small ships with huge spinal plasma cannons, which I think had longer ranges.

Again, while I respect the fact that this would be a possible solution, it's worth noting that the torpedoes are fairly well shielded.
Yep. However, the question is what it takes for their fuses to detonate. It may just require sending guided dense metal scraps that mass several tonnes.
Although they don't have such a design ready, it's not rocket science either. ISDs crap metal periodically, and it would take a design of smaller ships to cover that part: ships largely dedicated to the purpose of casting shields and lobbing iron balls at the torps, and why not, balls with explosives, just in case.
That's also not getting into the fact that they have poor aim in regards to small fighters and such--let alone something as small as a torpedo.
Torpedoes hardly adopt any complicated trajectories, so that's not a problem much. At best they make long curves. The best we saw in that spread from the E-D were a group of torps suddenly split into several torps... something that the VFX team seems to have pulled right out of their hole since there's no way with the E-D launching tube design that it could achiieve something like that: it would need to fire special MIRV-like torpedoes.
The problem is that this is actually true. The Empire's fleet is composed of mostly smaller, older ships. The ISDs are really just their flagships and are the Empire's way of projecting a great deal of power without requiring the whole fleet.

Unfortunately, the reason for that is that their firepower is stated to match dozens of their own ships. The firepower disparity is even larger than the admirals would admit--though not due to pride or anything as such, but greed as pretending that the ships weren't nearly as valuable as they were would mean that they'd get more of them.

So you see, while it's true that the Empire has many smaller and more agile ships, the problem is that they're vastly, vastly inferior to the ISDs...which are vastly, vastly inferior to to ST ships. It would be in essence, like Starfleet trying to fight the Borg by sending in more agile ships like the Constitution or the NX--yeah, they're harder to hit, but they're also incapable of doing little more than scratching the paint job.
Yes, I remember we did come across a quote explaining that one ISD had more firepower than several other smaller ships of a given class, but I don't remember it in detail.
Well it doesn't matter much though, you don't need to bring the firepower of an ISD.
Besides there's quite a problem with the ISD design. It's a jack of all trades, and if one was to do without the whole carrier part, there'd be far more room for weapons, fuel and cores.

Finally, outside of the ICS, antimatter is listed in Dark Empire and the Dark Empire Sourcebook.
Antimatter pods also exist outside of the ICS, and an occurance of an antimatter bomb already happened in an old EU comics.

Now that's for the EU. Although we could say the yields are nowhere close to those achieved by the UFP, we'd still have to consider the existence of knowledge of such devices.
Eh, I'm not so sure. Pre-Dominion War? Yeah. Post-Dominion War? Not so much. The Ferengi made a great deal of strides during DS9 and remained neutral between the Dominion and the Federation in the war. I have no doubt that a stray Ferengi arms dealer would happily make a deal with the Empire, but the Ferengi as a whole would not. And while that may seem strange at first, keep in mind that the Ferengi are business oriented. They're going to take a wait-and-see approach rather than side with any one power.

On the other hand, I would also think that the Ferengi would care less for the Empire than they do for even Starfleet. Quark, who does tend to represent many of the core ideals of the Ferengi people, is appalled at how the human race was. He was disgusted with their violence, their waste, and how they acted in general. The Empire embraces the absolute worst aspects of humanity.
A few arms dealders is still good enough to get the occasion to study tech. Why would the Empire even need to present itself as the Empire? It has humans, plenty of species, brain washing techniques and wide variety of voice modulators and translators.
It's not like the Ferengi are the be all and end all of ways to acquire technology, especially if as often protested by Trekkies, trade is possible within the UFP itself.

It also goes without saying that although the Empire is evil at its roots, there's no reason why it would open hostilities so frontally, safa plot fiat.
However, even this loss doesn't ensure that the Empire can somehow match the UFP playing field. It would require a massive refit of not only the weapon systems aboard the ship, but its power systems, sensors, shield generators, and the entire conceptual design of their ships. On an ISD, it would simply be patch and pray, while older ships are going to be too small and too incapable to even begin properly arming them to fight against the UFP.
It doesn't need to do all that. It can largely focus on makeing torpedo boats: low tech ships (all relative) carrying antimatter pods, torpedoes and a large array of launching tubes; contrary to the UFP, the Empire doesn't seem to know avarice when it comes to weapon banks on its ships.

Surprinsinly enough, putting such AM tanks and torpedo stacks and tubes on ISDs would hardly be a burden, considering the small volume they'd represent. You could literally go with a jurry rigged class of ISDs with minimal craft carriage, most of the room used to store AM, torps and specialized sensor suits, which they'd also be able to acquire.

I totally agree that building AM based warships would be hard from feasible in a short time for the Empire without breaking its spine again, as it was clarly explained in one of the largest sourcebooks when they started the ISD program. Going by the revolution we're talking about and what happened with the ISD, perhaps a full decade or more would be necesary for the basics to begin to sink in.

Plus the Empire is no China: it has a fuckton of logistics.

But then, again, the Empire's holdings also represent an inertia protecting itself from an invasion. It's such a huge thing to take on. The UFP's best chance is to act when the Rebellion gains power.
Before that, the Rebellion wouldn't have spread enough HQs, outposts and cells here and there, and wouldn't have enough spies and support to be of any importance.

Hmmm, TOS was a long time ago and the prison wasn't exactly designed to resist the firepower from a full blown warship, though it provided an obstacle all the same. Logically you'd be right in saying that these weaknesses should exist within even modern Trek shields, but even then I'm hesitant to say that it would be enough. ST sensors are far superior to even sophisticated SW sensors and yet we rarely see Trek ever dropping an entire shield with a single shot save for technobabble. And even then it rarely lasts long.

They might be able to match the frequency modulation of course, that seems to be a possible window for them, but then the question would be if the torpedo spheres could keep up against the colony if they decided to modulate the shields.

Of course, a larger shield might pose larger anomalies than typical Trek shields...
The weak spot is not a "I WIN" button though. It's just a point where the shield is easier to put a hole into, and that was the case in both the TOS episode and for the SW planetary shields.

Now the shields on major UFP worlds like two centuries later would be more advanced by all logic, but there's no proof that such shields would have managed to circumvent the weak spot syndrome either.
500 proton torpedo tubes isn't something to laugh at either. That said, torpedo spheres aren't invincible at all. The largest ones are more than 8 km wide. They'd need a lot of support to be able to operate without being destroyed in short order by any UFP fleet counting more than ten large ships.
This is true. I don't think the Empire is so incapable that they can't see when they're horribly outgunned that they need to change tactics.

On the other hand, it would mean a massive revolution of their fleet, training tactics, and combat methods in order to come to anything close of making this into a battle rather than a one-sided slaughter house.

And this is time that I honestly don't think they'd have. The Federation would destabalize the Empire long before then--and if they didn't the Tal Shiar would. Or Section 31.
I disagree. The tactics here are nothing stellar. The real problem would be to have proper ships to achieve that. Now, we can look at how long it took the Empire to design and roll the Nebulon-B, when they really were sick of losing convoy afte convoy to the Rebels.
Now, with the old EU, it was clear that this happened fast, but it seems the newer EU fell that stretching the life of Nebulon-Bs and making their appearance an earlier affair.

However, it wasn't a revolution at all. It's more like having laser cannons and TLs suited to fend off starfighters.
It's hard to say how long it would take, even if the technology that's needed to provide a decent cover to photon torpedoes might not need to be very advanced. Dunno, it's hard to say.
Surely, the Empire wouldn't push its luck if it would keep losing ship after ship.

Still, the painting I'm drawing here is miles away from the usual über Empire that steamrolls the UFP with a fraction of its fleet or even one ISD and its teraton level light second range lazorz.
Agreed. The problem here though is that the obstacle of refitting all your old ships or replacing them with new ones. And before you an even build a new class of ships, you'll need to open dozens of projects in terms of engineering and scientific research. Just the antimatter engine alone would require a completely new concept of how they build warships. The closest thing they have to antimatter--hypermatter, requires massive reactors to properly contain them as ISDs will explode violently for trying to use them.

Yes, clearly an ST power could supply them with proper answers to these obstacles, but it still requires that hundreds of thousands of Imperial engineers have to basically relearn an entirely new concept of energy production.

Then you have weapons like phasers and disruptors--weapons similar to ones that we know the Empire knows exists but have yet to rearm their entire fleet with, despite the obvious tactical advantage a SW disruptor would provide for an ISD. Hell, even decades later, when the ISDs are considered old gals, we still have yet to see any revolutionary redesign in how their ships act. Their largest change to space warfare are long range turbolasers--basically the same thing as normal HTLs, but with a much longer range at a greater energy cost.
That's why I think that if the GE doesn't play stupid, it would go for a strappon technique, as described above with the anitmatter tanks torpedoes. It would know its defense technology would be completely outmatched, and thus wouldn't lose time trying to make its ships flying fortresses. It would know it would lose numbers, and therefore would throw numbers into the meat grinder. It wouldn't even need to rig all ships with those homemade launching tubes. The mere fact of having half of your ships of a same class would never let the UFP know if all the GE's ships were retrofitted to carry those AM racks.

In fact, the GE would suddenly find itself using its industrial might to run a sort of semi-guerilla where expandable numbers would help a great deal. I don't know if you have played C&C Generals, but this would be akin mixing China's might to the odd kitbash designs of the GLF.
Size yes, momentum no. The Empire was starting to crack under internal pressure, remember? The UFP could easily force a far greater amount of pressure simply due to their philosophy and what they have to offer. And we saw that in SW, that in the end, each planet looks out for numer one before it looks out for their galactic society as a whole.
By internal pressure, You mean the defecting people and the growing Rebels, plus the whole Mon Cal conundrum?
Again, I would argue that this isn't true. Technological leaks go both ways and Starfleet has shown a much greater level of adaption to learning and applying new technology than the Empire ever has. Reaching a planet that has hyperdrive wouldn't be too hard and modifying a system to work for an ST ship also wouldn't be too hard for Starfleet given that Voyager built at least three different drives into their own ship with some success (Borg transwarp, Warp 10 transwarp, and the Quantum Slipstream), the largest problems they faced in those regards had to do with the limitations on their own systems to match that of the engines they mounted--which given how inferior SW ships manage to enter and use hyperspace, shouldn't be much of a problem for ST ships.
Oh yes, hyperdrive tech is so silly-easy to acquire that I don't have doubts that the UFP could get their hands on it and easily understand it. It's nothing weirder than all the stuff they already licked countless times in record times.
But they'd still need to use hyperroutes which need to be maintained and mapped, otherwise they wouldn't get anywhere very fast. The problem is that it would be very hard for the UFP to even do anything like that from a beachhead. The Rebellion would obviously give a hand, but the Empire can easily cut most civilian traffic anytime it wants and focus on its own routes.
Plus we know that said routes can be mined, most likely with hyperdrive mines (pet theory there, though). They could turtle key worlds, while having the mines only work against the enemy.

Still, the same has to be said about the UFP needing to build a whole new kind of ships to use those hyperdrives. It takes time, and the ship renewal rate at the most intensive time of the Dominion war doesn't evoke me anything like the UFP could tip the balance.
What those hyperdrives would give them, though, is the capacity to reach Alliance outposts faster, and eventually mount some attacks against prime targets, but then, again, with so few ships, I'm not sure how far they could go with that.
...We're talking about the same ground units right? The SW ones that are horribly designed, improperly used, and consist of mooks willing to run into automatic fire on a regular basis?
Still better than using primitive mortars and very little other mechanized ground support, eh?
The Empire can throw numbers. What's the best outpost the UFP achieved?
The Empire, in comparison, has ready to deploy HQs with its own TIEs, and a vast array of ground units with all forms of weaponry, even with some ballistic artillery down there.
The Empire uses a vast amount of vast and almost civilian cargo ships which dwarf the largest UFP ships, and they can be dedicated to the sole point of carrying vehicles, troops, food, fuel, ammo and else.
This advantage in logistics is considerable.
ANH would probably be the best time. Rebellion still in its infancy, they have a completed Death Star, and a larger momentum than the rest of the series.
I'd disagree. The Death Star is a certain plus, but the Rebellion barely needs a push to become a real pain in the A, and it's possible that the UFP could get rid of the Death Star by spamming it with shuttles and beaming a couple AM explosives into the core.

No no, the best time is definitely more than a decade before that.

The Old Republic already had designed the Expeditionary Battle Planetoid 28 BBY and refined the design in 22 BBY. The EBP was a 90~100 km spherical battle station armed with heavy TLs but no superlaser, with two smaller spheres stacked at its poles, and capable of using ice for its hypermatter plasma core. Said core was 1 km wide.
We know that heavy turbolasers mounted on something the size of a small planetoid could easily be as powerful and wide as the planetary turbolasers.
The design was complete.

So if the plot puts the Galactic Empire several a dozen years before ANH, the Alliance isn't even there, the disrupting cells not even organized and not a menace at all.
At that time, if the Empire is faced with a new real enemy, it will need to focus on a real navy, and cut the Death Star project to focus on the EBP, which was verified and validated years ago already.
And I'd still disagree on ground combat since if the UFP obtains orbital supremacy, they could handily remove most Imperial military facilities and outposts with their ships and save their actual military for the entrenched forces using civilians as meat shields.

And even then, the Empire has never really fielded such a massive ground force that it would require a massive UFP military force to dig them out. Remember that in SW, they rarely tend to pay attention to anything but important cities or space ports for obvious reasons.
That they could, assuming the Empire doesn't have some EU device or tech I have missed that can turn an atmosphere into a real ionic mess. If this were true, the cruder but larger transport ships would give a large advantage to the troops stuck inside that crap, and we know that this kind of biohazard is enough to mess with sensors and transporters.

As for battling under a shield, the superior accuracy of phasers wouldn't be enough to offer protection against the heavy caliber of all those weapons mounted on hovering, walking and flying vehicles.
It's not going to be a question of 1000 redshirts against 1000 stormies because the GE definitely has much more ways to equip and land large quantitoes of gear, troops and vehicles than the UFP has.
And from what I could tell from said weapons dealers in Trek, they tend not to show the same kind of military firepower as capital ships do.
The Breen swiss knife would disagree with that.
I think the largest and most powerful ship belonged to a Ferengi arms merchant which matched the firepower of a GCS--but was so poorly rigged together and filled with so much weapons that upon what Riker ordered to be a 'warning shot to get their attention', Worf accidentally vaporized the entire ship.

And said ship was probably still superior to an ISD before the massive upgrades.
That's more than enough though. The Empire doesn't need much more than a couple blueprints on how to store and mix AM. The rest, they can easily build from there. They don't need to focus on shields and warp cores and other eccentric stuff. All they need is those torpedoes and eventually some sensors, just in case.
The rest is just a question of numbers, for which the GE has the clear superior hand.

While true, it's also worth noting that it might encourage the Empire to fracture even more. Especially when we see that even in the Old Republic era, entire planets were near the point of starving. I doubt the Empire was all that much more charitable once it had firmly established its power base and I'd dare say that with so much funds funneled into the military, it made things worse.

Now, look to the UFP; they have free food, water, shelter, and entertainment. Not only that, but they literally have the technology to build replicators capable of building factories to essentially rebuild a ruined planet. So while I sincerely believe that the Empire's grip on most of the inner worlds will strengthen, it will probably cost them the Outer Rim, save for maybe Hutt space.
Good points, but let's not forget that even in Hutt space, the Empire had bases. In fact, they had a base right at the doorstep of Jabba's kingdom.
It's going to be a difficult game for the UFP to root out the Empire without threatening civilians, and it's going to be even harder to prevent the Empire from trying to exploit that by making some attacks of the UFP or the enhanced Alliance" cause considerable collateral damage.
The amount of chaos and false flag operations that could go on would pretty much turn any planet into an Afghanistan or Iraq: too many weapons, too much division, no way to get proper support.
Surely, that civilian disorder with a pinch of scorched earth would be an obvious way to prevent the UFP from establishing itself too firmly.

Well, that would be less true around ANH, since the Empire was just counting on stupid brute force with the Death Star. A more pragmatic Empire from a dozen years earlier, still resting on the laurels of its victory and assured security against war, would be far more prone to pull such actions, random massacres on backwater worlds nonwithstanding.
Meh, that's not really anything new. The Empire already has them painted as galactic traitors. While certainly the richer, more powerful worlds would quickly fall in line, the poor worlds would not be so quick. Think about it; what do they have to lose by silently supporting the UFP and the Rebellion? The Empire has already proven it doesn't actually give two shits beyond their tax payment and sworn loyalty--so why not work with this new nation in return for what it claims is the ability to basically jump start their entire economy from a half dozen of machines?

As detailed above, it's easy: civilian peace. Even the poorest people hardly grow the balls to riot in a way that makes any difference, and without the local army support, no riot has a chance of surviving.

That said, the Empire seems to have not used much of that technique in the OT. It really grew stupid and complacent. Rebels on a backwater world that you'd like to squish annoy you? Mount a false flag operation on, say, Carida or Anaxes. Now you can have most of the imperial populace's support. Now have those "Rebels" become needlessly indistinct and put the whole world into chaos.

Or instead of being a cliché of your random evil government, let the rioters become dangerous. Have them infiltrated while you let the official government deal with those riots in a peaceful way, with minimal deaths (a handful tops).
Then have false rebels pull some rockets out of nowhere and fire on governmental buildings. Try to get a high rate of collateral damage here. Then you get a good excuse to strengthen the grip against rioters. Plus there's lots of poor people to bribe so they can betray the UFP and Rebels.

That said, that's a whole other kind of Galactic Empire which I'm not sure ever existed. Tarkin was a total dork. Instead of manipulating the populaces, he prefered to land his ships on rioters, killing hundreds in the process.
Mmm... I may give Breetai some points after all, regarding the stupidity of the higher hierarchy (j/k). :p

And yes, Section 31 will play a very interesting role in there, unfortunately there's not much I know about them.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed May 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:Rom pulling a British East India company? I can see it from quark or his cousin galen maybe Brunt but Rom?
No not Rom, I was thinking a collection of wealthy private citizens joining fortunes for greater profit. Clump enough clout to keep Rom from dropping the hammer on them too directly and streaming back so much gold-pressed latinum you can bribe/buy the right people to protect you even if he does.
Admiral Breetai wrote:mind you the idea of trade backed up by maurader enforced gun boat diplomacy and all that is pretty epic
I think so :) And it would allow them to be something other than the "joke race", through being comical is part of their charm, while still staying true to their core character for lack of a better word.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed May 18, 2011 5:21 pm

HeroHeeto wrote:

There's nothing unscientific about subspace modulation-- it's just not ANTIQUE sci-fi like lasers.
Subspace does not exist. Any modulation of something that does not exist is unscientific for obvious reason.

Kinda like "we attack in five par-secs."
Source?

Sure, they just never DEMONSTRATED it in the movies.
You want some vaseline with that wank? Or are you good with just arbitrarily and insanely adding some extra zero's to the figures, in defiance of all logic or on-screen evidence? That always gets you warsies off.
Actually, it was. The Death Star Superlaser, stated in the official Star Wars website (and yes, Mike, it actually said that) to be raw power and not a chain reaction.

Sure, in the Extended Universe-- bigger, longer and uncut; talk about wanking! ROTFLMAO
(And YOU talk about "unscientific," when those figures could NEVER be reached by fusion-- so they reach for the HYPERWANKER arguments! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!)
Call it "wank" all you want, but it's still canon.

It's like claiming that spiderman could beat Galactus because Galactus's feats are "wank".

Ok, he's gone off the deep end... bellysmacking off the cliffs of Acapulco has GOTTA hurt!

Well what do you expect from someone who's blind AND has hairy palms?
Heh, I make a statement, and your rebuttal is a non-substantive bash with nothing to do with my post! I'm getting more supsicious.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Wed May 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Mith, I didn't ignore the importance of Mon Cal, but I cannot ignore the fact that the Emperor kept 10% of the overall fleet mothballed. He could do that, and the fleet he had at Byss was still large.
Of course he could still amass a large fleet--but it would be costly and dangerous. Not to mention that the Rebel Alliance was probably keeping sharp tabs on fleet and ship movements, so any attempt to strike at Mon Calamari might bring the entire Rebel fleet back to protect it which would mean either the Emperor would have to disengage and give up or get a larger force to take it.
My rationalization was that he lacked crews for them, and that changed when he produced clones again.
Ummm, according to BFII (whose story is C canon), Storm Troopers are clones and have always been clones, though apparently they switched to a more wide based template and allowed people to join.
The Empire pre-ANH really goes into a great expansion phase, growing from 100,000 worlds under its jurisdiction to more than a million.
Granted, but that would mean that the Emperor foolishly went into a massive expansion effort and bite off too much than he could chew.
We also both covered the question of the Empire trying to get into UFP territory. The UFP knows its own space better, and has much more support from the population. It doesn't suffer from guerilla raids as far as I can tell. It did have its own enemies though, so at some times, the UFP really was weakened, and those times would be the best moments when the Empire could, by act of plot, be connected to the UFP's territories.
The problem is that unless we're talking immediately after the Dominion War or some other time where they've lost a ton of ships...then that doesn't really account for much. The Empire at that time would not have the sort of firepower to keep any territory and it remains to be seen how many ships the Emperor would be willing to risk trying to establish a foot hold.

And in this case of Post Dominion War (which I assume), Starfleet is going to be even more cautious given the issues with the Dominion.
Yeah but we see that there's rarely anyone outside of their firing range. If you use visuals, all of TCWS shows ships coming out of hyperspace ontop of enemy crafts, and it seems they just prefer put shields at full and close the distance, and once the gap is closed, they power up the guns.
Granted, but it wouldn't take very long for any ST ships to move themselves out of their firing range. That's the problem. It would literally require seconds even at impulse.
It's nuBattlestars with shields. Plus SW also uses jamming, and the guiding systems don't strike me at particularly that advanced. If the missiles used artificial eye globes, blinding them would be kinda easy in such an advanced society: plenty of flashes and plasma and that's it. And it's precisely what they can do. We see plenty of nuclear-like flashes in ROTJ, and the bolts have been shown to flak if needed. They could easily make their rains of terajoule bolts flak and blow all those missiles out of the sky.
However, they have nothing to intercept bolts other than shields.
The problem is, how would SW jam them? They work on entirely different sensor principals. And even putting that aside, we know that jamming was used in DS9 in regards to tricorders and ship communications, but I have yet to think of anyone whose successfully jammed anything like a torpedo or even a runabout despite being that they should obviously be able to.

And again, even on slow moving archs, a photon torpedo is going to be moving at around 100,000 km. It's going to be faster than anything those gunners are used to and I doubt that even a computer designed point defense is going to be much of a help there.
Now, spamming with missiles insn't an alien concept to the Empire, and it actually happens to be efficient at times when the imperial ships are taken by surprise. Guri blew one wby firing an aft volley at the bridge of an ISD with her craft; the empire has gunboats relying on more missiles; torpedo spheres combine TLs with missiles; spacetrooper suits have missiles launchers as their prime weaponry; and all sides use bombers to close the distance armed with missiles.
Hmmm, I had known that they'd designed ships to help compensate for their lack of ability against smaller targets, but I wasn't aware that they did actually make use of it on their ships. That changes the argument, but then one still has to wonder if they can bring enough to bear to penetrate shields.

Especially when ST ships can fight at longer ranges and have much greater accuracy with their larger weapons.
By virtue of the EU, the Empire also had at some point some small ships with huge spinal plasma cannons, which I think had longer ranges.
Which again, is great, but at most this might put them at near equal ranges with ST ships and it would still remain to be seen how effective they would be even then.
Yep. However, the question is what it takes for their fuses to detonate. It may just require sending guided dense metal scraps that mass several tonnes.
Well, they seemed to be able to enter the corona of a star and penetrate without going boom. That would strike me as a bit more firepower than what the Empire's point defense guns dish out. And it would make sense given that these shields would be more designed to withstand enemy weapons fire from larger, more accurate guns than from smaller guns due to accuracy restrictions in larger guns.
Although they don't have such a design ready, it's not rocket science either. ISDs crap metal periodically, and it would take a design of smaller ships to cover that part: ships largely dedicated to the purpose of casting shields and lobbing iron balls at the torps, and why not, balls with explosives, just in case.
I wouldn't expect you too either and while using anti-torpedo missiles might do the trick, we still run into the problem that even if they can ward off torpedoes, phasers are still more than powerful enough and likely not even to be bothered by their shields, as it seems that their weapons are incapable of stopping NDF weaponry.
Torpedoes hardly adopt any complicated trajectories, so that's not a problem much. At best they make long curves. The best we saw in that spread from the E-D were a group of torps suddenly split into several torps... something that the VFX team seems to have pulled right out of their hole since there's no way with the E-D launching tube design that it could achiieve something like that: it would need to fire special MIRV-like torpedoes.
Hmm, really? I never thought of that. I had assumed that they'd simply launched five torpedoes at once. I suppose a MIRV design would be possible and it would be interesting--the MIRV torpedoes in ST XI certainly mean it's not the first time.
Yes, I remember we did come across a quote explaining that one ISD had more firepower than several other smaller ships of a given class, but I don't remember it in detail.
Well it doesn't matter much though, you don't need to bring the firepower of an ISD.
Besides there's quite a problem with the ISD design. It's a jack of all trades, and if one was to do without the whole carrier part, there'd be far more room for weapons, fuel and cores.
Granted, but that wasn't the point of the ISD. It was to have superior firepower while being able to project the Empire's strength throughout the galaxy. It just so happened it was a really, really bad idea.
Finally, outside of the ICS, antimatter is listed in Dark Empire and the Dark Empire Sourcebook.
Antimatter pods also exist outside of the ICS, and an occurance of an antimatter bomb already happened in an old EU comics.
Hmm, that does change things. If they have the ability to use bombs, it would suggest that they can properly store matter and antimatter, as well as produce it. It would still require a massive change in their industry though, as we're now talking about a great deal more antimatter and a need to build the facilities to properly create and store them, as well as transportation.
Now that's for the EU. Although we could say the yields are nowhere close to those achieved by the UFP, we'd still have to consider the existence of knowledge of such devices.
I would agree, that greatly puts them ahead of what I was thinking.
A few arms dealders is still good enough to get the occasion to study tech.
I wouldn't doubt. But it does reduce what they can get their hands on and the quality.
Why would the Empire even need to present itself as the Empire? It has humans, plenty of species, brain washing techniques and wide variety of voice modulators and translators.
I don't think most arms dealers care who you are, so that probably isn't the problem unless...
It's not like the Ferengi are the be all and end all of ways to acquire technology, especially if as often protested by Trekkies, trade is possible within the UFP itself.
Official sources will want checks. And believe you me, there's a great deal of a difference between how an SW human acts and how an ST human acts. Most Ferengi would know that there's a difference and we'd also be talking about the transportation issue. They're not going to magically appear.

That aside, again, there aren't many arms dealers who are going to care. The Orion Syndicate wouldn't care at all, for example. However, I have trouble believing that the Ferengi or any other major power that isn't outright at odds with the UFP is going to help the Empire all that much.
It also goes without saying that although the Empire is evil at its roots, there's no reason why it would open hostilities so frontally, safa plot fiat.
I'm not entirely sure, though yes, there is reason to be unsure. We've never seen the Empire acting against another power--especially not an organized one. However, given from what we know of Imperial officers and the Empire itself, there's no reason they're going to be friendly either. They're incredibly arrogant and while they're no longer looking to expand in ANH, they're not going to want to pass up an opportunity to create a foot hold in known space to get that technology.
It doesn't need to do all that. It can largely focus on makeing torpedo boats: low tech ships (all relative) carrying antimatter pods, torpedoes and a large array of launching tubes; contrary to the UFP, the Empire doesn't seem to know avarice when it comes to weapon banks on its ships.
Except as you noted, it does require energy to charge photon torpedoes (by the by, Tuvok outright said this in Scorpion when they'd lost power to the weapons) and you'd still need new sensors and unless you want your ships to last more than five seconds, you need new shielding.

All of which require far superior energy generation. I would agree that torpedo boats would be the best way to start to close the gap between technologies, but it's not going to make the Empire more than a thorn. Especially with Starfleet already testing regenerative shielding on the Prometheus (rapidly recharging shields).
Surprinsinly enough, putting such AM tanks and torpedo stacks and tubes on ISDs would hardly be a burden, considering the small volume they'd represent. You could literally go with a jurry rigged class of ISDs with minimal craft carriage, most of the room used to store AM, torps and specialized sensor suits, which they'd also be able to acquire.
Granted, but this would mean that the Empire would need to rely on another power to supply them, which means you need a supply line. And the UFP can cut off a supply line.
I totally agree that building AM based warships would be hard from feasible in a short time for the Empire without breaking its spine again, as it was clarly explained in one of the largest sourcebooks when they started the ISD program. Going by the revolution we're talking about and what happened with the ISD, perhaps a full decade or more would be necesary for the basics to begin to sink in.
Yep.
But then, again, the Empire's holdings also represent an inertia protecting itself from an invasion. It's such a huge thing to take on. The UFP's best chance is to act when the Rebellion gains power.
Agreed.
Before that, the Rebellion wouldn't have spread enough HQs, outposts and cells here and there, and wouldn't have enough spies and support to be of any importance.
True, but Starfleet could help in that capacity. A single betazoid spy would work wonders for Rebel intelligence.

The weak spot is not a "I WIN" button though. It's just a point where the shield is easier to put a hole into, and that was the case in both the TOS episode and for the SW planetary shields.

Now the shields on major UFP worlds like two centuries later would be more advanced by all logic, but there's no proof that such shields would have managed to circumvent the weak spot syndrome either.
500 proton torpedo tubes isn't something to laugh at either. That said, torpedo spheres aren't invincible at all. The largest ones are more than 8 km wide. They'd need a lot of support to be able to operate without being destroyed in short order by any UFP fleet counting more than ten large ships.
Well, to be fair, the spheres wouldn't be there if they hadn't established dominance of the system. On the other hand, any ground based weapons should still be safe under the planetary shield before the sphere arrives and that puts it at a great risk.

It would require that the torpedo sphere could last long enough to locate a weak point and blast it before the ground based defenses blow it out of the sky.
I disagree. The tactics here are nothing stellar.
I somewhat disagree. In the decades following the Clone Wars, they never really changed their tactics or combat designs. Now, that's not to say they can't change and they obviously will have to change here, but we are talking about a massive revolution in the way space combat is done. Even the most basic assumptions are now out the window for combat.
The real problem would be to have proper ships to achieve that. Now, we can look at how long it took the Empire to design and roll the Nebulon-B, when they really were sick of losing convoy afte convoy to the Rebels.
Now, with the old EU, it was clear that this happened fast, but it seems the newer EU fell that stretching the life of Nebulon-Bs and making their appearance an earlier affair.
Newer EU is like that for some reason.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Wed May 18, 2011 6:15 pm

However, it wasn't a revolution at all. It's more like having laser cannons and TLs suited to fend off starfighters.
It's hard to say how long it would take, even if the technology that's needed to provide a decent cover to photon torpedoes might not need to be very advanced. Dunno, it's hard to say.
Surely, the Empire wouldn't push its luck if it would keep losing ship after ship.
Oh no, I suspect that after the first few engagements the Empire would be forced to admit to itself that they don't stand a chance in hell against even lightly armed ST ships and begin trying to acquire the technology to change that.

Unfortunately, I still think they're foolish and arrogant enough to set off red flags throughout the quadrant and none of the powers are going to tolerate another Dominion invasion.

That's why I think that if the GE doesn't play stupid, it would go for a strappon technique, as described above with the anitmatter tanks torpedoes.
It would hardly be stupid to come up with a new warship design. It's required. Otherwise the best you have is jury-rigged ships with little to no defensive capabilities and costing a ton to create due to importing the technology.

Either way, the Empire has to cease any hostilities and try and figure out the technology, then mounting it on old ships as well as new ships. Torpedo boats would be nothing more than a desperate attempt to try and keep themselves from being totally overrun in combat.
It would know its defense technology would be completely outmatched, and thus wouldn't lose time trying to make its ships flying fortresses. It would know it would lose numbers, and therefore would throw numbers into the meat grinder. It wouldn't even need to rig all ships with those homemade launching tubes. The mere fact of having half of your ships of a same class would never let the UFP know if all the GE's ships were retrofitted to carry those AM racks.
No, they'd probably be easily able to detect them with sensors. Scanning ship for weapon types never really seemed to be a problem in ST. However, without scanning them, yes it would be difficult.
In fact, the GE would suddenly find itself using its industrial might to run a sort of semi-guerilla where expandable numbers would help a great deal. I don't know if you have played C&C Generals, but this would be akin mixing China's might to the odd kitbash designs of the GLF.
Haven't to be honest, but even this doesn't fix the problem. I honestly doubt that the Empire is going to be able to field anything more effective than a late era TOS ship within its first few decades of encountering ST. And that has some rather unfortunate effects given how its suggested that UFP technology takes a highward jump after Voyager.
By internal pressure, You mean the defecting people and the growing Rebels, plus the whole Mon Cal conundrum?
Yes.
Oh yes, hyperdrive tech is so silly-easy to acquire that I don't have doubts that the UFP could get their hands on it and easily understand it. It's nothing weirder than all the stuff they already licked countless times in record times.
But they'd still need to use hyperroutes which need to be maintained and mapped, otherwise they wouldn't get anywhere very fast. The problem is that it would be very hard for the UFP to even do anything like that from a beachhead. The Rebellion would obviously give a hand, but the Empire can easily cut most civilian traffic anytime it wants and focus on its own routes.
Plus we know that said routes can be mined, most likely with hyperdrive mines (pet theory there, though). They could turtle key worlds, while having the mines only work against the enemy.
Oh, I don't think the Federation is going to start amassing a great warfleet that takes the Empire by storm--that would be both astronomical in costs and something Starfleet wouldn't do. What they would do however and what it would afford them is the ability to strike back at key parts of the Empire.

While you are correct in pointing out that the Empire's massive industrial size is their greatest asset, it's also worth pointing out that Starfleet's advance technology is theirs. A small armada of a dozen ships could strike even the most heavily armed parts of the Empire with very little fear of a counter attack.

And while yes the Empire could mine those areas, it does little good because Starfleet has their own means of FTL outside of hyperdrive, remember? They can move from a mined area to an unmined area, since mining hyperspace tunnels would surely require choke points, not filling the entire route with bombs.

Ships could literally appear in systems hundreds of light years away and travel under cloak to attack key sectors and then leaving without ever having to risk the minefield.
Still, the same has to be said about the UFP needing to build a whole new kind of ships to use those hyperdrives.
Any reason why? Voyager was able to mount similar technology without even removing their traditional warp drive. I can't imagine with all their knowledge of quantum slipstream, transwarp conduits, and now working hyperdrive plans and engines that they would require a new class of ship to mount them.
It takes time, and the ship renewal rate at the most intensive time of the Dominion war doesn't evoke me anything like the UFP could tip the balance.
While I agree it would take time, I don't think it's as much as you think it would be. I could see them employing the first warp/hyperspace hybrid starship within two to four years after learning of it and I would guess that dozens of ships would already be adapted for both via refit.
What those hyperdrives would give them, though, is the capacity to reach Alliance outposts faster, and eventually mount some attacks against prime targets, but then, again, with so few ships, I'm not sure how far they could go with that.
Again, they don't need to go far. All they need to do is weaken the Empire's industrial sources and target key figures within the government. It would be enough to cause the Emperor a great deal of pain at least--and possibly bring the entire house down.
Still better than using primitive mortars and very little other mechanized ground support, eh?
Not really, no. :p

Remember, we aren't talking about a large scale army here--such a thing would be picked off from orbit.
The Empire can throw numbers.
Yes...but most of those soldiers rely upon a combat tactic that would get them all killed. Their numbers aren't going to mean jack if Starfleet can easily cripple their bases and war machines from orbit and essentially reduce them to using personal.
What's the best outpost the UFP achieved?
As per what?
The Empire, in comparison, has ready to deploy HQs with its own TIEs, and a vast array of ground units with all forms of weaponry, even with some ballistic artillery down there.
The Empire uses a vast amount of vast and almost civilian cargo ships which dwarf the largest UFP ships, and they can be dedicated to the sole point of carrying vehicles, troops, food, fuel, ammo and else.
This advantage in logistics is considerable.
Yes--but the problem is that those logistics are utterly useless in this regard.

Vehicles
Can be targeted by shuttles or even orbiting ships nor is the firepower or durability of any Imperial vehicle save for maybe the AT-AT or AT-ST all that much better than any hand weapon Starfleet can field on its own, let alone what shuttles could do. Second, moving people about via shuttles is archaic when the orbiting ship can easily spot any force and beam their troops into place hours before they get there.

Anything that is a threat enough to warrant big guns like the AT-AT is so massive and cumbersome that vaping it from orbit is going to be easy and even ignoring the ships, shuttles would probably tear it apart piece by piece. That's not even taking into account actual UFP fighters which I suspect could at least carry 10 ton level weaponry in relatively small packages which would absolutely crush any sort of large scale troop massing.

Ballistic Artillery
While good, the problem is that it's designed for WWI style warfare and not the more modern (if somewhat incompetent) warfare that Starfleet takes. They don't need to send in wave of troops to take the building that the base the Empire put up. They can perform orbital strikes or simply beam in strike teams. Hell, in TNG's Legacy, Geordie even suggested beaming photon grenades down into an underground complex with a low setting to shake them up.

TIEs
TIE fighters and their counterparts are really not a match for heavily armed UFP shuttles or their basic fighter designs. I'd dare say that most Maquis ships would easily outclass them. Nor would they exist in sufficient numbers to match the UFP counterparts.
I'd disagree. The Death Star is a certain plus, but the Rebellion barely needs a push to become a real pain in the A, and it's possible that the UFP could get rid of the Death Star by spamming it with shuttles and beaming a couple AM explosives into the core.
Or just drilling with their phasers. :p

They have after all, drilled through a planet down to pockets of magma near a planet's core within 20 seconds flat. I hardly think the Death Star, though made of sterner stuff, is going to be all that difficult with a great deal of it being open space.
No no, the best time is definitely more than a decade before that.
Ah, my mistake. That would be better for the Empire, since it would still have more funds and resources to divert to new class warships and they'd be far from having any real rebellion to speak of.
The Old Republic already had designed the Expeditionary Battle Planetoid 28 BBY and refined the design in 22 BBY. The EBP was a 90~100 km spherical battle station armed with heavy TLs but no superlaser, with two smaller spheres stacked at its poles, and capable of using ice for its hypermatter plasma core. Said core was 1 km wide.
We know that heavy turbolasers mounted on something the size of a small planetoid could easily be as powerful and wide as the planetary turbolasers.
The design was complete.
Shit, no wonder the Republic Senate was wailing over not having the funds to support a few more million troops and the required ships and equipment.
That they could, assuming the Empire doesn't have some EU device or tech I have missed that can turn an atmosphere into a real ionic mess.
...Um, why would they?
If this were true, the cruder but larger transport ships would give a large advantage to the troops stuck inside that crap, and we know that this kind of biohazard is enough to mess with sensors and transporters.
That can be cleared up with transport enhancers though. In a Voyager episode, the crew was assigned by Starfleet command to retrieve Friendship One, an old Earth probe sent out to meet new races. It contained advanced technology for inferior races to use. The last planet it visited ended up blowing itself to hell with antimatter warheads. It was generally agreed that Voyager wouldn't be able to beam anyone back up through so much gamma radiation, but it was pointed out that the transport enhancers would solve that problem and they did.

So in the long run, Starfleet would just start packing them (they require only a handful of them and they're fairly small and easy to carry).
As for battling under a shield, the superior accuracy of phasers wouldn't be enough to offer protection against the heavy caliber of all those weapons mounted on hovering, walking and flying vehicles.
Any shield the Empire would field requires that it would need to be a ST design, not one of their own since a) those shields don't stop solid objects and b) would easily be penetrated by phasers to begin with.

Even going with that, I still somehow doubt that a transportable shield would stand up to an orbital strike.
It's not going to be a question of 1000 redshirts against 1000 stormies because the GE definitely has much more ways to equip and land large quantitoes of gear, troops and vehicles than the UFP has.
But most of which, as I keep pointing out, is useless. Only personal gear and maybe imperial walkers are going to be all that useful. Well, speeder bikes maybe, but even so...
The Breen swiss knife would disagree with that.
Eh?
That's more than enough though. The Empire doesn't need much more than a couple blueprints on how to store and mix AM. The rest, they can easily build from there. They don't need to focus on shields and warp cores and other eccentric stuff. All they need is those torpedoes and eventually some sensors, just in case.
The rest is just a question of numbers, for which the GE has the clear superior hand.
I disagree. Yes it's what they need to get up and off the ground to begin with, but it won't solve their problem in being so horribly outpaced by UFP technology. Yes, it cuts back on the problem of not being able to hurt ST ships, but if all your ships can do is get off one salvo, then you're having problems. Even with a larger industrial might, there's only so much arms dealers can supply to the Empire until you require a larger scale operation to make it work. And that's something the UFP can hamstring without much effort.
Good points, but let's not forget that even in Hutt space, the Empire had bases. In fact, they had a base right at the doorstep of Jabba's kingdom.
I was under the impression that the Hutts and the Empire had some sort of standing agreement, hence why I think Hutt space will remain part of the Empire should it come to a split.
It's going to be a difficult game for the UFP to root out the Empire without threatening civilians, and it's going to be even harder to prevent the Empire from trying to exploit that by making some attacks of the UFP or the enhanced Alliance" cause considerable collateral damage.
While true, I don't really think the UFP is going to try to strong arm the Empire out that way. They'd want to focus on building up the rebellion and limiting their interference to key strikes on ship yards (like Kuat) and other key facilities to hamstring the Empire, not move into open warfare, which would aid the Empire in gathering support.

Similar to how the US today is trying to appear hands off in the Libyan conflict in the eyes of Libyan civilians while it's rather obvious to everyone that the US is the real muscle behind the rebellion.

Same here. Supplying intelligence, weapons, defenses, sensors, warp drive, and the occasional military operation is what Starfleet needs to do to appear more hands off.
The amount of chaos and false flag operations that could go on would pretty much turn any planet into an Afghanistan or Iraq: too many weapons, too much division, no way to get proper support.
Surely, that civilian disorder with a pinch of scorched earth would be an obvious way to prevent the UFP from establishing itself too firmly.
The UFP would not want to establish itself to begin with, for all those reasons. The UFP invading would make it look just that--an outright invasion and assault upon the values of the Imperial populace. It would rally them to the Imperial flag, even if the UFP is just defending itself in an open war.

However, putting the face of the rebellion on it and making that the focus with the UFP just providing "humanitarian aid" would shift that focus off them and onto the Empire itself. I don't doubt the core worlds will still try to maintain their positions, but outer worlds and poorer worlds--anyone with a beef would be more likely to join the rebellion.
Well, that would be less true around ANH, since the Empire was just counting on stupid brute force with the Death Star. A more pragmatic Empire from a dozen years earlier, still resting on the laurels of its victory and assured security against war, would be far more prone to pull such actions, random massacres on backwater worlds nonwithstanding.
Battle Front II suggests that they always used brute force. When Naboo started to make itself a pain, the Empire occupied it. When Kamino started producing their own soldiers, they invaded and occupied it. Now, it's far from the peak of brutality that the era of ANH shows, but its obvious that the Emperor was never really all that gentle in handling rebellious factions.
As detailed above, it's easy: civilian peace. Even the poorest people hardly grow the balls to riot in a way that makes any difference, and without the local army support, no riot has a chance of surviving.
There was active resistances against the Empire even in its early days, it's just that none of them were ever really largely organized enough to prevent a threat. They were small pockets that the Empire brutally crushed.
That said, the Empire seems to have not used much of that technique in the OT. It really grew stupid and complacent. Rebels on a backwater world that you'd like to squish annoy you? Mount a false flag operation on, say, Carida or Anaxes. Now you can have most of the imperial populace's support. Now have those "Rebels" become needlessly indistinct and put the whole world into chaos.

Or instead of being a cliché of your random evil government, let the rioters become dangerous. Have them infiltrated while you let the official government deal with those riots in a peaceful way, with minimal deaths (a handful tops).
Then have false rebels pull some rockets out of nowhere and fire on governmental buildings. Try to get a high rate of collateral damage here. Then you get a good excuse to strengthen the grip against rioters. Plus there's lots of poor people to bribe so they can betray the UFP and Rebels.

That said, that's a whole other kind of Galactic Empire which I'm not sure ever existed. Tarkin was a total dork. Instead of manipulating the populaces, he prefered to land his ships on rioters, killing hundreds in the process.
Mmm... I may give Breetai some points after all, regarding the stupidity of the higher hierarchy (j/k). :p
Dogma. Imperial officers weren't promoted because they were the best the fleet had to offer. They were promoted for their loyalty and ideals. That's why when you get to the later era of the Empire its flag officers are more often than not...well, questionable in their judgement. It's why Tarkin had power; he was willing to uphold the ideals of the Empire via shock and awe, which the Empire clearly supported. He just tended to take it a step further (since I believe, even landing on rioters was considered shocking in its brutality).

That's the largest problem here. Starfleet doesn't really choose its officers based upon blind loyalty, but competence as well. The Empire focuses first, second, and third on loyalty and while they're at it, choosing the ones who get the job done.

And to compound that problem? The Empire is full of backstabbing, power grabbing men too. That means that those captains are going to be selected not only for their loyalty and dogmatic views from an Imperial standpoint, but also being loyal to the clashing factions within the Empire.
And yes, Section 31 will play a very interesting role in there, unfortunately there's not much I know about them.
Really? S31 has some of the best episodes of DS9. I could give you a few links. If not, let me put it for you straight; S31 is the UFP without morality and they're actually competent in every single way. They infected the Founders with a terminal disease and they managed to shift Romulan politics to suit their needs--and they've been working since before the founding of the Federation.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed May 18, 2011 6:26 pm

sonofccn wrote:No not Rom, I was thinking a collection of wealthy private citizens joining fortunes for greater profit. Clump enough clout to keep Rom from dropping the hammer on them too directly and streaming back so much gold-pressed latinum you can bribe/buy the right people to protect you even if he does.
true enough and with a more modern capitalistic economy coming around these mega douches might actually even have protection in the general public eye what with the average dude prolly making more latinum and spending more
sonofccn wrote:I think so :) And it would allow them to be something other than the "joke race", through being comical is part of their charm, while still staying true to their core character for lack of a better word.
I'd add this to tides of history but it has no place what so ever I might actually write up a fic like this though eventually it really got the juices going

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Fri May 20, 2011 11:44 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Well the problem is that at that time, most of the data came from biased warsies. We've seen that many EU sources from that period were conveniently ignored as they painted a totally different canvas. Then, the flood of misinterpretations and wank just achieved the picture and made people believe things about SW which were just plain wrong.

That said, the Empire would still remain strong, but not Wong strong, or even more silly, ICS strong.
Going by the Technical Journal, a single ISD could still ruin a planetary civilization in a matter of hours, even if this wasn't the same as carrying out a Saxtonian BDZ with crust melting and sterilization. The Empire also had tens of thousands of these ships at a minimum, as well as some larger and more powerful and numerous smaller.

There were some higher numbers and some lower thrown around at various points but this was about the level I understand to have been the generally agreed on "average" in the ASVS, pre-ICS, pre-Wong days.
By the purist canon, as established by Sansweet, which at that time merely included movies, novelizations, radio dramas and eventually scripts, not a single element gave proof that ISDs could fire or tank megatons of firepower.
Except asteroid calcs maybe. (Though I was never much good at analyzing visuals, so I'll stay out of that debate.) And the Dodonna calcs.

Otherwise the sheer scope of building something like the Death Star (let alone two of them) implies alot about the scope I had a hard time thinking Star Trek could match. Even a 120-km one measures up to a huger number of ISDs in mass than anything the Federation's been seen turning out.
We had TIE fighters barely capable of scratching mere rock while trying to force the Millennium Falcon to a halt in TESB. We had, in the same TESB, an ISD having its bridge tower completely obliterated by a low kiloton impact. We have the Millennium Falcon clearly threatened by the snowtroopers' E-web cannon.
IIRC the comic said the ISD had been in there and tanking the rocks for some hours or so, so it wasn't necessarily an upper limit though.

As for MF, did the novel say it was a threat to them with shields up or down?
Wongies tried to pull silly figures about Solo's blasters on Tatooine (now largely debunked) and from a grate supposedly vaporized right in front of the faces of Luke, Chewie, Leia and Han. Image
Where's the debunking at? Might be interesting to check.
When you think of it, objectively, nothing, absolutely nothing ever supported the remarkable claims assembled by Wongies and Saxtonites (often the same people), and if you'd scale up the firepower of blaster or ground/air vehicles cannons to the size of batteries on warships, you'd precisely reach something in the low terajoules (if the size of the cannon had no relevance, why snowspeeders's cannons would be so huge for example, and yet so weak?).
Wong's early claims were rather less extravagant IIRC. His favored numbers for ISD firepower before Saxton and the ICS were somewhere around high megatons/single digit gigatons, and IIRC not necessarily sustainable at those levels. Which is higher than I think the evidence would call for, but not nearly as insane as the teratons/petatons the Warsies began to push later.

(And there are quotes like "recoil from explosives in the gigatonnage range" or whatever, so he wasn't pulling it completely out of thin air like Saxton did many of his calcs, even if he misrepresented a lot of other stuff.)

But no, ICS-like numbers aren't anywhere supported prior to the ICS (except maybe with stuff like Dankayo, and even then it's a thin line to stretch).
Now come on. SW has seriously capped, but not to that absurd level. Plus the visuals of TCWS are so retarded on multiple accounts that they can't be taken at face value.
Dialogue can, though. But nothing in dialogue I've checked from season one would really prevent ISDs from having high TJ/low PJ firepower.
Even the dialogue is terminally retarded. Wasn't there some episode when they thought a couple more clones would bankrupt the Republic? Yeah, a Republic with hundreds of thousands of planets can't field an army the size the Soviet Union did in WWII ... X(

But I gave up on the series quite early, so most of my input on it is second hand or YouTube clips.
Besides, iirc, the live action series would be helmed by someone else, a fan of SW. This could seriously spice things up: I think Lucas has provided an interesting background, but he totally sucked on the micro scale.
Amen to that, says I.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri May 20, 2011 12:32 pm

General Donner wrote:Except asteroid calcs maybe. (Though I was never much good at analyzing visuals, so I'll stay out of that debate.) .
Except the TESB asteroid calcs, if you use my very generous numbers, max out at 6 MT of Kinetic energy, tops.
Using closer to reality speeds and size only yield high KT numbers...
And the Dodonna calcs
Actually, no, because the Dodonna quote is always taken out of context, as even the Official Site entry on the DSshows:
It had a formidable array of turbolasers and tractor beam projectors, giving it the firepower of greater than half the Imperial starfleet.
So it is clear Dodonna was talking about the TLs and other "ordinary" weapons, and not the SuperLaser, which makes sense because he was talking to rebel pilots about to attack the DS in snub fighters, so the SL power has no importance in this case...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri May 20, 2011 3:24 pm

Mith wrote:[
Really? S31 has some of the best episodes of DS9. I could give you a few links. If not, let me put it for you straight; S31 is the UFP without morality and they're actually competent in every single way. They infected the Founders with a terminal disease and they managed to shift Romulan politics to suit their needs--and they've been working since before the founding of the Federation.
Minor nit pick it seems like they existed way before the founding of the federation their name came from an UE charter clause..and the sheer amount of clout and pull both in the private and political/military sphere suggests they been around for awhile

I think one source said it was a mix of the CIA SAS and some private security firms merging together in the aftermath of the third world war..but I'm not sure how canon that source was

but like you said been around long..and are very dangerous

User1619
Padawan

Post by User1619 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:07 pm

As for ISD and DS power-figs, the fusion-generators simply didn't have the physical ability to generate anywhere near that much power; so they reach for the hyperwank, which is a no-limits fallacy in itself. Mike Wank even claimed that SW ships use "a different type of fusion" in order to justify such wanked up figures.

In contrast, we've seen the insane results of Star Trek's antimatter, and it's clearly not the ordinary garden-variety; and thus the term "why even pretend?" just becomes all too obvious.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
General Donner wrote: And the Dodonna calcs
Actually, no, because the Dodonna quote is always taken out of context, as even the Official Site entry on the DSshows:
It had a formidable array of turbolasers and tractor beam projectors, giving it the firepower of greater than half the Imperial starfleet.
So it is clear Dodonna was talking about the TLs and other "ordinary" weapons, and not the SuperLaser, which makes sense because he was talking to rebel pilots about to attack the DS in snub fighters, so the SL power has no importance in this case...
This just shows there was probably least one person writing the entries for the Star Wars Databank who actually read the ANH novelization carefully enough to catch General Dodonna's telling the pilots to:

"Take special note of these emplacements. There's a heavy concentration of firepower on the latitudinal axes, was well as several dense circumpolar clusters."

So there is some hope for the staff at Lucasfilm after all. :-)
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 21, 2011 12:56 am

Honestly, it's only a recent change of heart that the latest sources go with this interpretation. The book "Death Star" does so very clearly when talking about how the DS's conventional defenses could take on any fleet of SDs or even super SDs, if such ships ever were to exist.
In the "Death Star power output confirmed" thread, I posted sources that went with the superlaser being worth the firepower of the entire fleet, and in another case, closer to the usual interpretation of Dodonna's words, more than half that fleet's firepower.
That said, I also pointed out that those sources also provided other facts that contradicted this inflated interpretation, and actually led to extremely low DET outputs.

See the bottom of page ten here.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Sat May 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
General Donner wrote:Except asteroid calcs maybe. (Though I was never much good at analyzing visuals, so I'll stay out of that debate.) .
Except the TESB asteroid calcs, if you use my very generous numbers, max out at 6 MT of Kinetic energy, tops.
Using closer to reality speeds and size only yield high KT numbers...
I meant the asteroid vaporization by turbolaser Wong and other Saxtonites cite extensively on their sites.
There's other EU however that says it specifically refers to the superlaser. Wong quotes a "Behind the Magic" CD I never heard of, and I've read it in the "Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology" and elsewhere.

The point is mostly moot nowadays when it's been shown the Death Star beam most likely isn't DET, and that point's been beaten to death around here already. But back in the day, it supported higher numbers.