Next Trek will have phasers?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Next Trek will have phasers?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Sorry for the hopes. Just wondering.
We've seen thus far the equivalent of a heavy phaser cannon used by a superman. Can we hope the tech to be miniaturized?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Next Trek will have phasers?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Not sure what you're getting at here, Mr O. The pistols the characters use in the Abramsverse are phasers, so the answer to your question is "Yes, because it's already been done".
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Well, I mean traditional beam phasers that can disintegrate stuff too, not the pulse guns seen in ENT and on the Defiant which, for some reason, got the favours in the altverse. Perhaps they missed a development milestone?
Thus far the only beam phaser or disruptor we've if the hefty device used by Kahn on the Klingon world, in the desolate regions.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:21 am

In Star Trek 2009, the USS Kelvin is shown firing "traditional" beam weapon phasers, in addition to the point defense pulse weapons.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm

I had forgotten about those.
So I guess there must be a very solid reason why they were not put on the Enterprise.
By looking at them, the weapons themselves look different so I doubt the pulse guns could be turned into beam weapons.
Perhaps the beam weapons were considered wasteful? After all, even if pulse guns need to shoot a lot of pulses to cast a sufficiently dangerous area of damage, unless a beam hits, it really fires a ton of matter into the void.
I guess the pulse faction within Starfleet's navy won the debate, and the success against the Naranda probably reinforced that side too.