Navigational Data Needed For High warp Speed

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Navigational Data Needed For High warp Speed

Post by Lucky » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:42 am

Franchise: Star trek Series: The Original Series Season: 03 Episode: 07 Title: Is There In Truth No Beauty wrote: Captain's log, stardate 5630.8. As a result of Larry Marvick's insane fears, the Enterprise lies derelict in uncharted space. We have no way to determine our position in relation to the galaxy. We are in a completely unknown void.

[Bridge]

KIRK: Where are we? 

SPOCK: We are evidently far outside our own galaxy, judging from the lack of traceable reference points. When we exceeded warp speed factor nine point five, we apparently entered a space-time continuum. 

MCCOY: I have the autopsy report on Marvick. Heart action stopped, cause unknown. Respiration stopped, cause unknown. Brain activity stopped, cause. Shall I go on? 

KIRK: You mean he just simply died. 

MCCOY: I mean he evidently could not live with what he saw. 

KIRK: Or what he felt. Damage report, Scotty? 

SCOTT: We need some repairs, sir, but the ship is intact. 

KIRK: Position report, Mister Spock. 

SPOCK: Impossible to calculate. We lack data to analyse. Our instruments appear to be functioning normally, but what they tell us makes no sense. Our records are clear up to the point at which we left our galaxy. 

KIRK: Then we should be able to navigate back. 

SPOCK: Unfortunately, we lack reference points on which to plot a return course. We experienced extreme sensory distortion, and we shall do so again if we attempt to use warp speed. And we cannot re-cross the barrier using sub light speed. 

CHEKOV: A madman got us into this, and it's beginning to look as if only a madman can get us out.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Enterprise Season: 1 Episode: 1 Title: Broken Bow wrote: TUCKER: Since when do we have Vulcan Science Officers? 

ARCHER: Since we needed their star charts to get to Kronos. 

TUCKER: So we get a few maps and they get to put a spy on our ship?
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 4 Episode: 9 Title: Year of Hell Part 2 wrote: JANEWAY: Space, the great unknown, Only now we're going to know it a little better. Harry? 

(An image of our galaxy from above is divided into grids. Note to the interested, the long wig has finally been discarded and Janeway has Kate Mulgrew's natural shorter length hair.)

CHAKOTAY: Before there were maps and globes, let alone radar and subspace sensors, mariners navigated by the stars. We're returning to that tried and true method, but this time there's a difference. 

JANEWAY: Ensign Kim and Seven of Nine have merged Starfleet and Borg ingenuity to create this new technology.And I'm sure I speak for the entire crew when I say, thank you. Now, how the hell does it work? 

SEVEN: Astrometric sensors measure the radiative flux of up to three billion stars simultaneously. The computer then calculates our position relative to the centre of the galaxy. 

KIM: This mapping technology is ten times more accurate than what we've been using. Seven, will you do the honours? We've plotted a new course home. 

SEVEN: By my estimates this trajectory will eliminate five years from your journey.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 4 Episode: 26 Title: Hope and Fear wrote: ADMIRAL HAYES [on monitor]: Apologies from everyone at Starfleet Command. We've had our best people working around the clock, trying to find a wormhole, a new means of propulsion, anything to get you home. But despite our best efforts. I know it's not what you were hoping, but we've sent you all the data we've collected on the Delta Quadrant. With any luck, you'll find at least some part of it useful. Maybe enough to shave a few years off your journey. Safe journey. We hope to see you soon.
Franchise: Star Trek Series: Voyager Season: 7 Episode: 19 Title: Q2 wrote: Q: Oh, before I leave. 

(Q gives her a PADD.) 

Q: I did a little homework for you. Consider it a thank you for everything you did for Junior. 

JANEWAY: Not that I don't appreciate it, but this will only take a few years off our journey. Why not send us all the way? 

Q: What sort of an example would I be setting for my son if I did all the work for you?
I feel like I missed a few quotes.

What do you guys think?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Navigational Data Needed For High warp Speed

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:56 pm

You forgot to mention that the 75 year journey time given in "Caretaker" was reduced down to 70 a few episodes later in "Eye of the Needle".
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri May 08, 2015 6:21 am

2046 wrote: You forgot to mention that the 75 year journey time given in "Caretaker" was reduced down to 70 a few episodes later in "Eye of the Needle".
-Mike
I left that out on purpose do to the reason for the drop being left unstated, and given how damaged Voyager was it could be a number of things, but logically taking Nelix on as a guide was at least part of the reason.

It seems like there is an episode of The Next Generation where Riker is trapped in a simulation, and notices lag when the computer calculates travel times.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Sun May 10, 2015 3:08 am

Lucky wrote:
2046 wrote: You forgot to mention that the 75 year journey time given in "Caretaker" was reduced down to 70 a few episodes later in "Eye of the Needle".
-Mike
I left that out on purpose do to the reason for the drop being left unstated, and given how damaged Voyager was it could be a number of things, but logically taking Nelix on as a guide was at least part of the reason.

It seems like there is an episode of The Next Generation where Riker is trapped in a simulation, and notices lag when the computer calculates travel times.
I think "Future Imperfect" is what you're referring to. Though the computer lag there was due to the alien simulation needing a little lag time to respond properly to Riker's requests.

Isn't Voyager usually tooling around at Warp 6 or thereabouts? IIRC they're doing warp 6.2 when Gagen and Veer catch up to them in "Distant Origin." Any other examples?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun May 10, 2015 4:58 am