Star Trek Doomsday machines?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Star Trek Doomsday machines?

Post by theta_pinch » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Take a look at this:

The TOS planet killer: Image

Species 8472 planet destroying ships: Image

And a prototype of the Xindi superweapon: Image

The beams look almost identical between the planet killer which used anti-protons and the others; so maybe all of those doomsday machines were anti-proton beams. What do you think about this theory?

Jedi Knight

Re: Star Trek Doomsday machines?

Post by 359 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 pm

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x06/ ... hd_227.jpg
Phasers (nadion beams) look similar too.

I think it is just that all the beams happen to look similar; composition probably, scratch that, definitely has very little to do with what color the beam is.

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 pm

359 wrote:Image
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x06/ ... hd_227.jpg
Phasers (nadion beams) look similar too.

I think it is just that all the beams happen to look similar; composition probably, scratch that, definitely has very little to do with what color the beam is.
I'm not talking just about the color; all of them have the same cloudy appearance just outside of the beam unlike the phaser beams.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:05 pm

It is a possibility. Maybe some kind of antimatter particles? Particles they are, else beams wouldn't be visible.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:43 am

That seems like reading too far into the visual graphics. I understand scaling, but trying to form a hypothesis from only visuals with no evidence other than "these kinda look somewhat the same in <X> way" just seems a little far-fetched and unlikely. Further, in the HD version, one can see the same sort of glow/haze around the phaser beam. Such graphs are common as with these Cardassian phaser shots from DS9: "Defiant".

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 am

I concur. "Orange is the new DEATH" is just a fashion statement. ;-)

We've seen phasers and disruptors in myriad colors, after all, and they are the same tech base, albeit different in some fashion. Sometimes the colors and effects styles even overlap.

It doesn't seem too far-fetched to assume that other widely disparate beam technologies might also have overlapping appearances.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:59 pm

I'd rather see a Purple Beam of Death, but thus far we've only been served with an application to the infantry level, even if it looked nice onscreen.
AND DON'T NOT YU SAY BABALOON FIVES!!!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:14 am

Theta_pinch wrote:The beams look almost identical between the planet killer which used anti-protons and the others; so maybe all of those doomsday machines were anti-proton beams. What do you think about this theory?
Hardly proof of them being the same weapon, and we never saw the Planet Killer from TOS in action against a planet to make any kind of comparison of it's mechanism beyond Commodore Decker's generalized statements in his log entry and to Kirk about the "fourth planet seems to be breaking up" and "We saw this thing hovering over the planet, slicing out chunks of it with a force beam". That does not sound anything at all like what either the Xindi planet killer or the Species 8472 weapon does.
-Mike