The invisible post bug

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:59 pm

... .
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Ah, Oragahn?

I agree that the best way to drill one's point is to repeat it, but seriously, reposting the same post four times?
Isn't that a bit much?

:)

Seriously, I think you may want to erase 1 or 2... or 3 posts... ;)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:52 am

Oh yeah, shit happens. It's been a long time since I had such a bug.
Funny thing, I checked to see if the post went through, because I got an error message which was akin to a page full of text and numbers all crammed with no punctutation, and saw no bump in the thread. I only tried a second time, so I don't even know where the third evil twin comes from.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:39 am

I've had a similar error occur. If you want to check to see if your message got posted, just pull up another web browser window and see if it's there. If not, repost.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:25 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I've had a similar error occur. If you want to check to see if your message got posted, just pull up another web browser window and see if it's there. If not, repost.
-Mike
That's what I did, I used another tab for this forum's mainpage and saw nada.
Errors also occur when a post window remains open too long before you submit the text.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:29 pm

I've had that error messages more then once, and learned that you really need to click once more in "submit" before your post appears, but then I had to go and manually delete the post.
If you look carefully after such an occurence, only your second post gives you the option to "delete".
That's what I do, and it never erases the original post, only the copies.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:46 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I've had a similar error occur. If you want to check to see if your message got posted, just pull up another web browser window and see if it's there. If not, repost.
-Mike
That's what I did, I used another tab for this forum's mainpage and saw nada.
Errors also occur when a post window remains open too long before you submit the text.
That's really odd. I'ver never seen that happen. But Praeothmin is correct, if you wind up with multiple copies of the post, you can just hit the delete button of the most recent ones, and they'll be gone.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:49 pm

This is a "known issue" that has been happening for a little while. This generally happens with posts that are (a) very long and (b) took a long time to write. You don't actually "lose" posts when you get this error; they're in the database, they're just not made fully visible immediately, leading to double or triple [or quadruple] posts.

This issue will probably disappear in one or another periodic upgrade or tweak, but since I can't promise that I'll get around to this soon, here's the work-around:

Generally, if you load and refresh the final page of the thread, the missing post will appear in that page. This obviously will not work if your post begins a new page or new thread, and so, it isn't the best workaround. In all known cases, manually targeting the URL:

http://starfleetjedi.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=XXXXX

Where XXXXX is the number of your post, i.e., one greater than that of the previous post, will cause the post to be visible in the thread, or thread to appear in the forum display.

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 am

Or, you type in your post (in full) somewhere (notepad, the forum, whereve), copy it (CRTL-A, CRTL-C) and then paste it all at once in a new reply/thread window you've opened.

That works too ;)