Warning tracking

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Warning tracking

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:09 pm

We have basically several options here, some of which can be combined. I've gotten a little input in the enforcement policy review thread.

Currently, things are working quite well, on the whole; people have remained mostly polite most of the time. A brief summary of options:
  • Nothing changes. Things are working fine.
  • I make a private warning system viewable to moderation staff (currently just me).
  • Private notification on warning. Currently, warnings may be informal in tone and either private, public, or both, depending on what I feel best promotes congeniality.
  • I make a publicly viewable enforcement tracking area, or track violations in the Rules section.
  • I install a warning level plug-in which displays a meter on your sidebar or profile, or a card, or some such. I've found several such mods available; for example, this appears to be one feature of the "democracy" mod, bundled with the "reputation" system (which can be turned off.)
Comments by others so far:
GStone wrote:It'd feel childish. Like putting a dunce cap on someone's head right before lunch and shoving them into the corner of the classroom. I highly doubt anyone of the chronological age of 5-7 year olds are gonna be on this board.

I say leave it up to the person that got the warning(s). They should be mature enough to make the decision to abide by the rules or not.
Cpl Kendall wrote:There's no point in enforcing something part of the time. A thread detailing warnings would be a way to remind people they have them and keep track at the same time.
Praeothmin wrote:GStone, the fact that we need rules should show you how mature a lot of people are.

I'm all for the warning thread, if only for JMS to remember who he warned, and for what... :)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:10 pm

JMS wrote:I install a warning level plug-in which displays a meter on your sidebar or profile, or a card, or some such. I've found several such mods available; for example, this appears to be one feature of the "democracy" mod, bundled with the "reputation" system (which can be turned off.)
I vote for this one.
I think it is the easiest one to follow, for you or anyone else.
For example, let's say I already have a warning, and I don't feel like being banned, I might think twice before insulting anyone in a thread.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:31 pm

I still don't think it's that hard to remember one's warning level on a forum, but if one were to add something, this might be the best solution. But, I have a question. Would this be viewable to everyone or just the one with the warning? For instance, SCN shows one's ISP number to the user and the mods only in the posts made, but no one else.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:01 pm

I'm 200% for it.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:51 am

I'll go ahead and throw in my support for it as well.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Sounds interesting. Though I have to wonder if you can expunge warnings over a certain amount of time. Say proper behavior demonstrated in good-faith over 3 month period of time of posting on a regular or semi-regular basis.
-Mike