Enforcement policy review

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

It's that time again...

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm

Here it is, roughly one year later, and I have found myself issuing a second one-day temporary ban, this one to PunkMaister. Accordingly, now is a good time to open up the topic of reviewing the enforcement policy.

I have not implemented any of the suggestions made after our last temporary ban, such as a warning meter or thread. Do you think that might have prevented this incident?

Feldercarb
Padawan

Post by Feldercarb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:57 pm

Not in this case. He seemed pretty hell bent on continuing his behavior which seems to have been pretty consistent since he signed up. Did you PM him his warnings as well?

He may have thought you where just making idle threats otherwise.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:20 am

Feldercarb wrote:Not in this case. He seemed pretty hell bent on continuing his behavior which seems to have been pretty consistent since he signed up. Did you PM him his warnings as well?

He may have thought you where just making idle threats otherwise.
I did not PM him any of his warnings; they were all just public.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:23 am

I think only two (temporary) bans in over that many years is a pretty good track record so far.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:25 am

Indeed. How many actual permanent bans have there been in all of the forum's history, especially given the tendency for certain folks to show up here to stir up trouble, and not debate.
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:33 am

For that matter, compare the number of bans that have been issued for this forum with those over at SDN and SBC. In SDN's case it won't be hard, since they apparently have a whole section of their forum dedicated to it.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:41 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Indeed. How many actual permanent bans have there been in all of the forum's history, especially given the tendency for certain folks to show up here to stir up trouble, and not debate.
-Mike
Probably somewhere up in the three digit range counting spambots from before I installed a strong captcha system, and possibly a couple humans who were acting like spambots, but I wasn't counting those, just people who have made actual posts saying something.

That said, PunkMaister's temporary ban is now over, so he may have something to say himself on the matter.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote: Probably somewhere up in the three digit range counting spambots from before I installed a strong captcha system, and possibly a couple humans who were acting like spambots, but I wasn't counting those, just people who have made actual posts saying something.
Well yes, I remember the spambots plague we suffered through almost three years ago, but I don't count that towards actually banning real flesh and blood members who came over here and got themselves banned for doing stupid things.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:47 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:For that matter, compare the number of bans that have been issued for this forum with those over at SDN and SBC. In SDN's case it won't be hard, since they apparently have a whole section of their forum dedicated to it.
Erm, do you mean SDN bothered making a subforum which main topic is this forum? (SFJN)
Mike DiCenso wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote: Probably somewhere up in the three digit range counting spambots from before I installed a strong captcha system, and possibly a couple humans who were acting like spambots, but I wasn't counting those, just people who have made actual posts saying something.
Well yes, I remember the spambots plague we suffered through almost three years ago, but I don't count that towards actually banning real flesh and blood members who came over here and got themselves banned for doing stupid things.
-Mike
Wait. THREE YEARS AGO??
This must explain the gray hairs.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:18 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Wait. THREE YEARS AGO??
This must explain the gray hairs.
In about 5 months, SFJN forum will be 3 years old. :-)
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:07 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Erm, do you mean SDN bothered making a subforum which main topic is this forum? (SFJN)
I mean a subforum to showcase their issued bans.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Neither would suprise me. But that's a subject for another thread in the appropriate forum.
-Mike

Feldercarb
Padawan

Post by Feldercarb » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:57 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:

[
SDN doesn't have a dedicated sub forum to discuss SFJ, that usually happens in SWvsST on the odd occasion someone has something to discuss.

Parting Shots is actually so that banned members can see why they where banned.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 pm

I don't think a sub-forum is really necessary here at SFJN for telling people why they were banned, not especially since bannings, much less warnings, are extremely rare events.
-Mike