Search function - reduce the delay please

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Search function - reduce the delay please

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:24 pm

I don't know how long it takes on this forum to be allowed another search after a first one, but it's clearly long, like a minute if not more. It's annoying, especially when you made a mistake.

Most boards have a 15~30 seconds wait.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:32 pm

It was set to 30 seconds. I've dropped that to 15 seconds.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:19 pm

Thnaks!

There's something that pusslez me though. You say 30 seconds? Woah, there was a bug then. I timed the thing: tried to get a search, didn't get anything, when to read another page meanwhile (too me quite some time), came back, retried, nothing, still waiting, went away, chained a few links, came back, and still blocked. Then, after spending enough time elsewhere, I was granted a new search.

I know that it was no way blocked to 30 seconds only. Even one minute was a very underestimation.

I wonder what went wrong. I know plenty of forums with search functions in the 15 or 30 seconds ballpark, and I'm used to them, so I can easily see when something's taking significantly more time.

I looked at my browser defenses, and all is in check.

----

Just did tests. Something's definitely not working right. I waited more than a whole minute before trying a new search, both with a new entry or the same entry, and got blocked.

I also tried to return to the search page two different ways (backwards, or reclicking on the "search" link), but none managed to unlock the system to the planned 15 seconds.
I don't even get 60 seconds.

I wish I could help here, but I just have no idea what to look for.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Hm. I'll look into this. The basic flood control setting should control that.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 13, 2008 9:02 am

Just doing some more tests lately, and I definitely notice the impossibility to rerun another search, after waiting for several minutes.

What I do is when a search fails, I press backspace to return to the previous page, the form.
I think this doesn't erase the values.

The values are only reseted as long as you click on "search" again.

If it's not that, then I don't have a clue about what it could be.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 13, 2008 4:43 pm

I just tested it to see if it could've been Oragahn's link, but I got the same problems.
I waited for a full minute, and still was told it was too early to get a new search result.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:56 pm

I am still experiencing some issues with the search engine.

I don't even try to refresh the page. I waited for over five minutes, then clicked on "search" once more, filled the boxes and went on, but it blocked the query and asked me to wait.