Yes, I stepped down

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Yes, I stepped down

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:06 am

Two mods should be more than enough given the relatively small number of active posters here on SFJN. I might suggest a second moderator, and for major dispute that cannot be resolved between them, then it be left up to a democratic vote among all active members.

If a third mod is brought in from outside, I would really suggest that you pick carefully as we have seen that there are few mods at places like SBC and SDN that can rise above bias for their pet franchise.
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, the immediate question would be who should become a new moderator?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:18 pm

You, Khas, sonofccn, are the people I believe are the mostlevel headed and calm of the bunch...

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:General Donner, thank you for that insightful commentary above. I would actively encourage you to make suggestions, being the newcomer that you are, your reasonable observations and information have been a delight, and a positive reminder that the Versus debates do not have to be about vitrol and dishonesty. It's a refreshing change of pace considering some of the Warsie debaters past and present that we've had to deal with.

So if you have an ideas, share them, and help us keep this board the way that you like it. It's also the fresh blood that keeps us from settling into groupthink, and from degenerating into the kind of place that SDN and SBC have become.
-Mike
Thank you for your kind words, Mike. Taking your advice to heart, then, I'd advise against a "democratic" mechanism for judgment on moderator disputes. That would seem to leave a back door open to arbitrariness and popularity arguments. In my humble opinion, an administrator or chief moderator makes for a better court of last appeal.

That said, the kind of situation you describe for such a hypothetical would clearly be extreme, and require some kind of extreme resolution. In this case I see little enough objectionable in it. But going further down the democratic road might not be a good thing.

It probably goes without saying that I also recommend the transparent enforcement policy JMS has adhered to be kept. (That is, warnings and bans being publicly announced, along with their causes.) I tend to view this discussion as concerning an interim period, for the duration of our administrator's absence, and would like as little as possible to change from the relaxed and enjoyable debating climate the board has generally enjoyed under JMS' control.

On another, somewhat related topic: While I'm obviously flattered people think me fit for moderatorship, I don't think I should assume such responsibility. For the same reasons I noted before: I'm still new around here, and not around as much as many others. Shouldn't more senior and productive posters be preferred?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 pm

We don't have senior members who would clearly favour SW instead of ST, or at least not preferably stick with ST.

And what is there to do when some poster starts to feel threatened by discussing with a moderator who may look like he's going overboard?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am

To clarify; I think if you review the matter carefully, you'll find that I've been slowly becoming less active here over time. That's why we needed new moderators in the first place. I've become gradually more busy IRL and less interested in spending as much time here.

I'll still be posting from time to time, but likely not often.
Trinoya wrote:Still, getting a mod that was more clearly seated on the pro-sw side would help board image amongst other circles and prevent some of the cries to authority as well.
IMO, the idea of hiring a moderator just because they're on one side or another is a bad idea. It's been tried before on other boards, and it neither clears the accusations nor does it generally net a good moderator.

It's much better to try to focus on making sure that you're handing power to someone who will think carefully about how they use it and cares about the community.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:07 pm

General Donner wrote:On another, somewhat related topic: While I'm obviously flattered people think me fit for moderatorship, I don't think I should assume such responsibility. For the same reasons I noted before: I'm still new around here, and not around as much as many others. Shouldn't more senior and productive posters be preferred?
Well while it is obviously your decision to me you don't come across with an "agenda" and being relatively new says to me you will more likely approach a disturbence impartially then say siding with one of the "regulars".

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 pm

I still do not understand your reasoning "Because you guys reacted so badly to an obvious troll who had no other motive then to troll it proves my paradise is a flawed land..and I must step down"

it just makes no sense I mean yeah maybe if we all mobbed Sonofccn The dude or any one of the other SW debaters who actually have a valid point of view and are willing to make an honest fight of it.. You'd have a point.

To me this "I want to be Wongs opposite" has gone into parody land where your willing to martyr yourself completely for the wrong person

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:it just makes no sense I mean yeah maybe if we all mobbed Sonofccn The dude or any one of the other SW debaters who actually have a valid point of view and are willing to make an honest fight of it.. You'd have a point.
Ah...I'm a Trekkie. :)

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:it just makes no sense I mean yeah maybe if we all mobbed Sonofccn The dude or any one of the other SW debaters who actually have a valid point of view and are willing to make an honest fight of it.. You'd have a point.
Ah...I'm a Trekkie. :)
and I'm a warise..but I defend the side that I think has a clear advantage and I hate the fanbase for wanking out my beloved series and making it canon with ascended fanboys

you on the other hand defend SW so well you've become our resident defender..and I don't see any one treating you as we treated SWST

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:you on the other hand defend SW so well you've become our resident defender
Well I see where your coming from but I don't think I excessively defended Star Wars, I feel I went against SWST just as much as I've tangled with Lucky the Pro-Trek debater I've argued most extensively with, just how I interpeted the evidence. I mean its just wierd to be grouped with the likes of The Dude or Starkiller when I more associated myself with Mike DiCenso, Praeo or JMS.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 pm

I agree with sonofccn here, he defends ST against Wanked-up Trekkie claims, as I do, but he also defends ST against Wanked-up Warsie claims, as I do...

Mike and JMS also do that a lot...

I even believe firmly that the Federation would definitely lose against the Empire simply because of the difference in scale...

Anyways, I think General Donner or sonofccn would both make great Moderators...

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Alas, I feel I'm still entirely alone in my eternal stalemate view...

*sigh* I'm so ronery... so ronery like great leader in best korea.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:13 pm

IMPOSSIBRU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!