Forum awareness

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Forum awareness

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:13 pm

It's been recently pointed out by Pic that this forum doesn't show up on search engines, no matter the use of key words which should yet clearly correspond to its main purpose.
Any idea how to remedy that?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Forum awareness

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:03 pm

It seems to vary with the subject. Just on a lark, I typed in "Starbase 74" into Google and several other search engines to see who's came up top of the list. Surprisingly, SFJN's Database article on the station showed up on the first page, usually between number 10 or so down on the list. Which is really interesting since when I type in a search for things like "Galaxy class starship", the SFJN Database articles are nowhere near the top of the list, despite it being the highest viewed article or page listed for the Database.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Well I guess it could only pale in light of pure Trek websites which have been posting about that galaxy class for ages.
But anything relative to versus, I expected the forum to show up on the first page, even if at the bottom of it. There aren't really that many boards dedicated to the vs thing.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:21 am

At any rate, it isn't about traffic, since we have had quite a bit as per Civ's early thread. We just don't have the actual posters coming here. As for site awareness, based on Alexia's standards, the more that this site gets linked into, the more the "awareness" quotient goes up.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:33 pm

One of things Google looks is how many links there are pointing to web site (in this case, it would be forum, not main site); however, there is limit on maximum number of links that can be posted per day; else, engine will decide someone is trolling and will lower its rating.

There is actually a guide on Google about it.

Also, looking at source code of pages that show up high on search queries I posted could help.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 pm

There's also the fact that the main website doesn't get linked at all, and I believe it acts like some umbrella to the forum. It dilutes the forum's light. SDN doesn't have that problem because the main site is read a lot. SBC is mostly just a forum with a fuckton of material and posts.
Besides Google has this whole +1 thing going on.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Maybe JMS should ask for some advice from Darkstar... his site shows up pretty high on Google when searchig for "star trek vs star wars".

how to get website show up high on search engines