Do you think that this board needs more members?

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Do you think that this board needs more members?

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Mike, about SWST, some of his arguments (whether or not they were truly SDN parroting) were new to me, so I was indeed forced to consider some new information and see how it fit in SW overall...

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:12 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: I'm old fashioned. I still use wired telephone and have fun with real friends at the pub.
And if someone has to tell me something important that's related to the pro side of things, they get to leave a message on the wire as well. No way I'm letting a cellphone dictate my schedules.
i actually agree with everything but the wired home phone. i can't stand being stuck 2 feet from the phone all the time. i briefly had a cell phone years back, but it wouldn't stop fucking ringing and i actually threw it out the window of my car. this was a bad idea as it was in the days when you could rent a phone. my wife has a cell phone but she turns it off when we're together, thank christ.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:32 am

Praeothmin wrote:Mike, about SWST, some of his arguments (whether or not they were truly SDN parroting) were new to me, so I was indeed forced to consider some new information and see how it fit in SW overall...
As far as I can see, the only real bit of new information is the lifting of a planet's oceans in "Slave Ship". But that was quickly debunked since the book provided nothing to calculate anything useful from that event.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:53 pm

mojo wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I'm old fashioned. I still use wired telephone and have fun with real friends at the pub.
And if someone has to tell me something important that's related to the pro side of things, they get to leave a message on the wire as well. No way I'm letting a cellphone dictate my schedules.
i actually agree with everything but the wired home phone. i can't stand being stuck 2 feet from the phone all the time. i briefly had a cell phone years back, but it wouldn't stop fucking ringing and i actually threw it out the window of my car. this was a bad idea as it was in the days when you could rent a phone. my wife has a cell phone but she turns it off when we're together, thank christ.
I hold the phone upside down, like in nBSG, but it seems it doesn't work well.
In reality, I also have un-wired phones at home, but it seems that in terms of health inconvenience, they also suffer from the same issues as cellphones (which is sufficiently documented by now; example).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
We had some anonymous Warsie bring up the stats a couple years ago, so you might want to look it up.
-Mike
Can't even remember that. I'll try to see what I can get with a quick "SFJN stats" here.
However, they'd be out of date.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:24 pm

I found the thread here. Boozebum tried to use the Alexa site's website rankings, which are based on traffic more than actual posting. Of course this is well over a year out of date, so going to Alexa and getting an update is definitely a must.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Alexa, they've gone on cheap on free info.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:42 am

mojo wrote:from day one i've wondered if i was kind of waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of place here, and i guess that's why. i like the debates, i love lurking the sw/st threads and sometimes the other sci-fi debate threads, but mostly i just like the ambiance and the sometimes humorous reactions of the hardcore. this place is fun. the people here are fun. you're fun, even when you're taking me way too seriously. i would enjoy it just as much if it were based on pepsi vs. coke.
jms, i want to be perfectly clear here. was that a 'yes mojo bring on the people who might not be super into sw vs. st' or a 'no mojo, let's not have that'?
and regardless of whether or not a fb page would help, i can't see how it could hurt. if nobody else wants to mess with it, i'd be happy to make one. with permission, of course.
You have a green light, mojo.

Re: traffic, I have fairly detailed data somewhere, but the problem is getting the same sort of data for other forums.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:03 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Alexa, they've gone on cheap on free info.
According to Alexa, we're ranked at 6,093,474 globally. This is way up from just over a year ago when we placed 21,980,207. Stardestroyer.net actually has dropped slightly in traffic ranking during that time from 96,706 to 117, 570.
-Mike