Do you think that this board needs more members?

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
User1652
Padawan

Do you think that this board needs more members?

Post by User1652 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 pm

I am surprised that this forum seems a little to quiet around here and it seems that only like 5 of the same people go here every day and I started wondering do you think that this forum needs a lot more members than it already has?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Do you think that this board needs more members?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:52 am

Quiet!?

Erm, okay. But how would you go about suggesting that we recruit new members?
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:31 am

my own forum, which had as it's topic nothing but my stupid old webcomic, was vastly more active than this board. i'm not sure that it's a problem, but this is a VERY quiet board.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 am

does this board have a facebook presence? have you considered asking members to plug the board on their facebook accounts? facebook isn't the most hip thing at this point, but 99 percent of the people i know have one.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Not a bad idea...
I may try this...
But most people who would join from my page will only write in French...
Oh well, I'll translate for them... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:23 pm

mojo wrote:does this board have a facebook presence? have you considered asking members to plug the board on their facebook accounts? facebook isn't the most hip thing at this point, but 99 percent of the people i know have one.
I'm the 1% I guess. I couldn't care less about Facebook.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 pm

mojo wrote:my own forum, which had as it's topic nothing but my stupid old webcomic, was vastly more active than this board. i'm not sure that it's a problem, but this is a VERY quiet board.
There's a big difference between traffic and members, of course. Not knowing anything about that forum, I'd like to point out that SFJN is pretty typical of the vast majority of forums out there as far as members and traffic goes.

Even ASVS is not doing all that much better than we are as far as numbers are concerned. Mostly that's because SFJN and ASVS are grabbing at a niche market, so to speak. SDN and SBC grabbed up all the people interested, then quickly moved on to other topics way outside the scope of original niche topics.

It's also tough to recruit pro-Wars members because most of those people think the ST-vs-SW debate was settled when AoTC:ICS was published, or they won't come over here simply because they know they don't have mods and admin who'll back up their beliefs.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
mojo wrote:does this board have a facebook presence? have you considered asking members to plug the board on their facebook accounts? facebook isn't the most hip thing at this point, but 99 percent of the people i know have one.
I did the Facebook and MySpace bit a while back, then stopped after getting fed up with being mass-spammed by 50 gold diggers a week from Asia sending crappy Engrish marriage proposals at me, or being spammed by obscure hip-hop/gansta rap bands. :P
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Ooookay. I can say that that's one thing that's never happened to me....

And considering the fact that a lot of weird stuff has happened to me, that says something.

Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

Post by Nowhereman10 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:07 am

I'm still here. Sorta, kinda.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:35 am

here we have another case where it would be nice to know what the point of the board is, in that 'mojo has no freaking idea what jms wants for his board' sort of way. would an influx of members who might be a lot more interested in the 'other' section than the main sw/st section be something he'd actually see as a negative rather than a positive? because i think i could make that happen, probably, but i definitely wouldn't want to do something that he would see as harming the board or taking it in the wrong direction. otherwise we have the problems mike detailed as far as this being such a niche thing in the first place.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:42 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
i'm not the world's biggest facebook fan. i just recognize it for the temporarily huge worldwide thing it is in the end stages of being. like myspace before it.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
mojo wrote:my own forum, which had as it's topic nothing but my stupid old webcomic, was vastly more active than this board. i'm not sure that it's a problem, but this is a VERY quiet board.
There's a big difference between traffic and members, of course. Not knowing anything about that forum, I'd like to point out that SFJN is pretty typical of the vast majority of forums out there as far as members and traffic goes.

Even ASVS is not doing all that much better than we are as far as numbers are concerned. Mostly that's because SFJN and ASVS are grabbing at a niche market, so to speak. SDN and SBC grabbed up all the people interested, then quickly moved on to other topics way outside the scope of original niche topics.

It's also tough to recruit pro-Wars members because most of those people think the ST-vs-SW debate was settled when AoTC:ICS was published, or they won't come over here simply because they know they don't have mods and admin who'll back up their beliefs.
-Mike
i didn't mean for that to come off as a bash at sfj. there are good reasons for the fact that sfj is not a 1,000 post per day board and it would not be sfj if it were. i also didn't mean to imply that my old board was somehow superior because it was busier. just the fact that this board continues to exist would kill that idea. i was just responding to your surprise at the idea that this is a quiet board.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:19 pm

I wouldn't mind a bit more traffic, as long as it's not traffic generated by people who ignore evidence and logic, and substitute to it their own little world and reality... :)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:18 pm

I don't mind the board becoming larger and more active. I haven't been willing to put forth the effort to promote and recruit for some time. One of the best methods of recruiting in the VS debate has traditionally been to use links to here while arguing elsewhere - it's a technique that SDN's membership use constantly, and is one reason why SDN maintains a larger membership base.

ASVS actually has a facebook page. Wouldn't be too odd for us to follow suit.