Sockpuppets

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Sockpuppets

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 am

JMS, isn't it possible to force new registrations to go through "pending approval" mode first?

Trinoya
Security Officer

Re: Sockpuppets

Post by Trinoya » Thu May 26, 2011 3:46 am

I second this, if it is practical we should try it.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 am

tis a smart idea but my only issue is you guys could stand for some new views and ideas and posters and activity preferably of the non insane variety of course

having to register may deprive you of that

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Thu May 26, 2011 9:43 am

That is a true concern, but there was a high level of sock puppetry.

Nonetheless, as much as I hate to admit it, SWST is getting better (at least more organized if nothing else) and I try to encourage people who I talk to via PM to come here from SB... so I am a bit torn on the issue...

Just wasn't expecting so many sockpuppets in such a short period of time.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 pm

I've asked JMS several times in PM if it is possible to institute something like that, and so far he has not responded. I recommend that you also send a request in PM to him as well, if this is what you want.
-Mike

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Trinoya wrote: Nonetheless, as much as I hate to admit it, SWST is getting better
The fact that you hate to admit improvement on behavior/civility is a red flag as to your predispositions.

And since when have I needed to improve my behavior? Do I make random sock puppets and accuse others of masturbating to Wong's wife?

Do I respond to requests for evidence with: "lol no"?

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Thu May 26, 2011 11:56 pm

If I was you, I'd take the compliment for what it is. You're actually attempting to provide factual and correct evidence rather than posting collages of random sci-fi clips as well as fan art. I've spoken nothing on improvements in personality, and refer wholly to the style of evidence you've presented recently rather than previously.

Because quite frankly I was taking bets as to if you were a classic troll or just woefully misinformed. I was surprised to see it was the later and therefore STILL, contrary to most of the posts you make, hold out hope for you one day.

As far as predispositions... I recommend you see some of the groups I associate with on SB.com.. you'd find quite a few warsies in those lists, because at the end of the day I don't disagree with everything they say or agree with everything said on this site (in fact, we've had some great arguments over here).

So yeah, it's a compliment... it may be a back handed compliment now that I was forced to place it into context... but a compliment nonetheless. I rarely give those and you got one because you show promise and evolution, and at least attempted an organized debate.

I'm still guessing your young to boot, so I'm much more willing to cut you slack... if I found out you were 40 it'd be a whole different story.

Edit: Don't take my venom as a shot against you. I do truly mean that I have hope for you to become a good debater given the time, regardless of if I disagree with you.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri May 27, 2011 2:26 am

well trinoya is perhaps the most optimistic of the bunch organized lying and dodging is still false. But I will say this SWST your personal rage against me is very amusing and I'm assuming it's because they don't lump us together that your so resentful simply put I'm not the one rocking the boat with wild theories either that or I'm just so unimportant they don't care

mind you the solution is really obvious if you dislike me so much clean up your act stop ducking and muster an honest argument based on the films and the tv series and actually beat me in a debate this is something you never have done , and don't actually seem to want to do..and it's not just me it's every one here your biggest weakness is that you don't want to take the risk and actually put it on the line because you realize deep down that if you actually pay attention and debate properly listen with an open mind you might actually be wrong that your idols are wrong and your favorite universe aint as powerful as you think it is..I think that's your greatest flaw..you get over this you might actually become a very good debater I mean as far as I'm concerned I actually do respect your stubborness if you feel your right you should argue to the bitter end that is the mark of a great debater but the fear of being wrong and the inner fanboy..the awe and heroworship of certain elements the dark side of the debate spectrum are these...move past them eventually must or for ever will they dominate your cyberdestiny!!!

and no I'm not issuing you a challenge so don't go and make another thread about me I'm just saying..you could possibly be what Trinoya sees but your biggest problem is not wanting too

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Do I respond to requests for evidence with: "lol no"?
Mmm... actually, you don't type anything.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat May 28, 2011 6:15 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I've asked JMS several times in PM if it is possible to institute something like that, and so far he has not responded. I recommend that you also send a request in PM to him as well, if this is what you want.
-Mike
Sorry... I looked at the options for that and forgot to get back to you.

Basically speaking, the options are manual approval by admin (ala SDN), a "new user" bullpen (ala SBC, by putting new members in a "New Member" usergroup with limited posting privileges) or what we have now. Barring obvious duplicate sockpuppets (like M0J0 & the like) we don't actually have the ability to tell the difference between a spurious new account and an actual new account; it would basically amount to a delay box in registration where I go look at the new registrations, and check the IPs and e-mail addresses they register from to make sure there isn't simply a very obvious match to a current banned user or a known "spammer" address.

Since current banned users also have IP bans attached to them, I would typically not be able to match the IPs to banned users, although I might be able to recognize known open proxy IPs.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat May 28, 2011 3:23 pm

I would go for the "new user bullpen" idea for a while, just to see how that goes...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun May 29, 2011 1:27 am

Praeothmin wrote:I would go for the "new user bullpen" idea for a while, just to see how that goes...
I agree, I think that's the best compromise for now.
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sun May 29, 2011 2:47 am

It does seem to work well for space battles.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Trinoya wrote:It does seem to work well for space battles.
It didn't seem to prevent Zinc's sockpuppets from posting immediately after getting its former member banned. There also was another guy regularly using sockpuppets actively at the same period, at the beginning of 2011.

I wonder what those posting privileges are.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 am

There are still people who think Zinc himself, as a concept, was a sock puppet for a moderator, which speaks well as to the rarity of it being that much of an issue, as such I'd say he was the exception rather than the rule.