summats bust

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

summats bust

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 am

Mr O has been trying to login but cannt so he contacted me on SB.com.
Hi!
I've been logged out of SFJN, and I tried to log in but it says that:

"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below."

The CAPTCHA thing doesn't even show up.
Do you have any similar problem, and if not, could you try to post a note in the technical forum or contact a mod please?

Thanks!

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: summats bust

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Send an E_mail to JMS, as there's nothing I can do to help...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Send an E_mail to JMS, as there's nothing I can do to help...
Just cant get the staff......:).

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:16 am

this happened to me once too I just logged into another bowser and got in

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:53 am

Is it the anti-bot questionaire that's causing the problem with your being able to login?
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Is it the anti-bot questionaire that's causing the problem with your being able to login?
-Mike
From the post he sent me that i linked above id say yes.

I advised him to try to create another account (obviously not a sock puppet under the circumstances) and try that, but the browser idea is one i did not mention so il tell him.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:12 am

I changed the anti-spambot settings back around the end of January. Apparently that also is tripping on failed logins; so after a certain number of failed logins, it starts challenging users. I've increased the threshold for this a bit and reset the cache.

Another possibility that Mr. Oragahn is not seeing where the "captcha" - which is now a question that must be answered - is displayed. It's a little subtle, unfortunately, which makes me worry that it might be a little too strong. (I've missed seeing it.) It also might be necessary to clear the browser's cache, which could have the wrong version of the form cached.

So. If you're having trouble logging in or registering: Scroll down. In bold text is the question you need to answer. The field is right next to it. Easy to miss.

I've also discovered that board e-mailing seems to have been broken, probably as a result of changes by our host. This will make for an interesting weekend.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks to all, for JMS and the work he continually puts into his website, and Kor for being the fastest messenger of the entire Wild Lands.

I'll try to provide a bit more information about what was going on.
At some point during the day, I noticed that the connection to SFJN was a bit slow, then came to a halt. After a while, I could finally load the pages. Hours later, as I switched the PC back on, I found myself disconnected. Not a problem, this happens on all boards from time to time, so I tried to log in. Everything was as usual, all information remembered by Firefox. So I punch the login button, but got the warning that I had spent my three attempts and failed. Weird.
I tried to connect normally no matter what, and it didn't work. So I returned to the login form, but then followed the instructions with the captcha thing, but I noticed that it was asking me to type a sentence which didn't appear.
On JMS' picture, you actually see two lines of text to the left of the box you're supposed to fill. One is bolded, and that was all that appeared.
So although it didn't really sound like the thing to do, I copied the second line and put it into the box, but obviously it didn't work.

I also have no filter on this website, so there couldn't be a html frame that was hidden.

I also closed Firefox and tried with Chrome and IE but got exactly the same problem.
Now, again, it works. It's a kind of magic.

JMS made some changes during the day, and problems went away. Dunno what the trouble was, but all browsers work.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:06 am

I thought that was the case. I had a mild bit of trouble with the anti-bot questionaire, but I did not have anything like what Mr. O has suffered through. Glad to see that the issue has been solved.
-Mike