General Warning Tally for users...

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: General Warning Tally for users...

Post by Praeothmin » Fri May 25, 2012 12:30 pm

If we have a vote, I have to say I vote for mojo's long story to be unlocked...
I too felt it was posted in jest, and since it was posted in a forum (Fanfic and Roleplay) which should be lighter in tone than the other forums, I don't think it should have been locked...

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:00 am

Praeothmin wrote:If we have a vote, I have to say I vote for mojo's long story to be unlocked...
I too felt it was posted in jest, and since it was posted in a forum (Fanfic and Roleplay) which should be lighter in tone than the other forums, I don't think it should have been locked...
I agree with this and would also like to offer an opinion to something that is in another thread but I think fits better here and since everyone seems to have their underpants up in a bunch about my 'attempts to be funny', I think it is fair to say that I have been censored pretty heavily, a thread of mine has been locked which I think was completely legitimate (even requested). So in the case for freedom I think that what I was doing should not have been censored. I think that having a sense of humor should be allowed anywhere. The things I said that were censored were not hurtful or mean-spirited but were posted in the spirit of light-hearted entertainment which at least a few have admitted to enjoying.

I don't expect rules to change. Some people are just too uptight to allow someone like me to let loose and have a good time. I guess arguing rules over and over when everyone has already completely chosen their side one way or another is more important than having a good time together as a board. So I will probably do as I've been doing. If that's going to be a problem than I suggest I be banned because I will have a good time and enjoy the company of others here just as I have until I'm forced to stop. I was joking that this was America in another thread but there is some truth to it. The freedom of speech is also the freedom to express. If you can't express yourself here than I'm gonna get in a lot of trouble.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Well there's quite something simple in the rules to uphold. That, I pointed it out in criticism of Jasonb's interventions, which are frankly useless and impolite -- as I said, you cannot such that much at English after years of spending your time on boards and if you're not good enough, go find a board which uses your native language.
The element I emphasized from the rules is the need to be informative. (see the end of this post)
I believe posting a majority of gibberish doesn't meet the goals of this board as described in the rules. I also believe that you're already requiring way too much attention to be spent in your favour while you've actually very little to the board in terms of quality, debate and information. In fact you've barely arrived that you're already warned and got a thread locked, for a very good reason.
Please try to respect the reason why this board was created to begin with.
If you cannot demonstrate a genuine interest into the main topics of this board and that you're just here for some jerking, I'm afraid you may get on some mods' nerves pretty fast.
What's the point? You bothered registering here after all, it would be sad if it were to do what you could do on any random forum's "misc. & everything that doesn't elsewhere" section.

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:00 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Well there's quite something simple in the rules to uphold. That, I pointed it out in criticism of Jasonb's interventions, which are frankly useless and impolite -- as I said, you cannot such that much at English after years of spending your time on boards and if you're not good enough, go find a board which uses your native language.
The element I emphasized from the rules is the need to be informative. (see the end of this post)
I believe posting a majority of gibberish doesn't meet the goals of this board as described in the rules. I also believe that you're already requiring way too much attention to be spent in your favour while you've actually very little to the board in terms of quality, debate and information. In fact you've barely arrived that you're already warned and got a thread locked, for a very good reason.
If you cannot demonstrate a genuine interest into the main topics of this board and that you're just here for some jerking, I'm afraid you may get on some mods' nerves pretty fast.
What's the point? You bothered registering here after all, it would be sad if it were to do what you could do on any random forum's "misc. & everything that doesn't elsewhere" section.
Lets not pretend that this board is the pennacle of intelligence. Come on, the very idea of the board itself is a lesson in hilarity. My posts have brought life to some otherwise very dead threads. I've been entertained and a few others have admitted to the same which is the idea of any board really. So sticking your nose in the air and calling yourself above me because of your chosen style of conduct does not in fact make it so. I have had fun and will continue to do so until I can't do it anymore. You can cry about it all you want. People respond to me. They may not particularly like me but the beauty of it is that if you don't want to pay attention to what I have to say, you don't have to. It's that simple. But as long as one person is enjoying conversation with me and my 'antics', what does it hurt? Are you trying for some kind of spiritual enlightenment here? Why all the strict rules of conduct anyway? Fun is not allowed? You're gonna debate nonsense until you're all blue in the face? C'mon, loosen up. Debating this stuff is as much a 'waste of time' as having a little fun reading my nonsense.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun May 27, 2012 3:54 am

Last edited by mojo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sun May 27, 2012 6:13 am

mojo wrote:oh, jesus. please stay away from the 'you don't have to read it' argument when it comes to oragahn. trust me, man, we don't want to go down that road again. anyway, as cranky as he can be, he's the one you want in your corner. oragahn is the shit, and he is usually perfectly willing to back you up as long as you actually do try to be productive, as well as having fun.
i'm starting to get really nervous that they are going to decide you are me after all, because most of what you're saying are arguments i have brought up time and again, except for the part where you're kind of shitting on the debate itself. you really do need to at least be interested in st/sw if you want to be here. of course it has it's element of silliness, but it's also something that we find endlessly entertaining to argue, not to mention the endless possibilities of other versus threads that would be perfectly fitting here, which you spent a good deal of time on back on the sp board.
i love to joke around, and i laughed my ass off at both your posts and my own. i don't think that we did any harm, and like i said, if it's not hurting the debate, i can't see the problem. if we take it to the point where it's harming the board - which could conceivably be argued for this thread, which we probably should not have fucked around in - then we're taking it too far, but otherwise..
and of course, we have no official response to my questions about humor. maybe if we could get a direct answer, we could start coloring between the lines (mostly) and still have fun.
please be nice to oragahn, though. praeo as well, if he ever stops jumping down your throat, is a good guy.
sorry if that was offensive, i wasn't trying to be. i just really do think you would enjoy this place, if you can last long enough to get there.

Wait, what? I thought I was you? Or am I thinking of someone else that I am supposed to be? Maybe I am actually KSW.......

Aslo, Praeothmin is cool. Oragahn....meh, barely remember him. :p Just kidding you're cool too.....kinda.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 am

TheRainKing777 wrote: Lets not pretend that this board is the pennacle of intelligence.
No, but it did maintain a level of quality and focus. This is progressively going down the drain.
Come on, the very idea of the board itself is a lesson in hilarity. My posts have brought life to some otherwise very dead threads.
The board has always been like that, that small. And it worked. That's the general truth of any small communities. Plus SFJN is best symbolized as being more of a lounge than some filthy downtown honky-tonk.
I've been entertained and a few others have admitted to the same which is the idea of any board really.
Ah? Didn't see much support towards your interventions, to be honest. Even I grew tired of it.
So sticking your nose in the air and calling yourself above me because of your chosen style of conduct does not in fact make it so. I have had fun and will continue to do so until I can't do it anymore.
I'm merely pointing out that you already started collecting warnings because of your behaviour, and I'm trying to explain why this happens.
Perhaps your style is not suited for this place. Perhaps your lack of interest for the main topics of this place (which are treated fairly seriously, no matter how ridiculous this might sound) also explains the apparent clash.
It's not a problem of humour -aside from the fact that you're not always funny- but one of relevance. There are plenty of other boards, with larger communities, where you'll be able to have such fun on varied topics. Why constrain yourself to our very small community?
You can cry about it all you want. People respond to me. They may not particularly like me but the beauty of it is that if you don't want to pay attention to what I have to say, you don't have to. It's that simple. But as long as one person is enjoying conversation with me and my 'antics', what does it hurt?
If your continuous style is to both pop into threads and open others to post nonsense, it is possible that past a certain quantity, it would clearly pull this website away from what JMS intended to build.
Now, let's not be silly here. We're not anti-humour. It's just that we're not used to overdone slapstick jokes, that's all. So, yes, I can ignore you, but I say that if you pop into clean and focused threads and do your "things", I may have no other choice than reporting you, unfortunately.
If you don't like that, you can also ignore me. Ultimately, we'll see if mods care enough or not.
Are you trying for some kind of spiritual enlightenment here? Why all the strict rules of conduct anyway?
To avoid shit. Isn't it clear enough?
Fun is not allowed?
This place is about a certain kind of fun. Just like some pro e-players get a lot of fun in competitions which other gamers wouldn't even think calling fun.
Not all "funs" are fun to everyone, if I may say. :)
You're gonna debate nonsense until you're all blue in the face? C'mon, loosen up. Debating this stuff is as much a 'waste of time' as having a little fun reading my nonsense.
As long as it's constrained to threads which I can avoid and doesn't derail those which were clean and informative, I think it might work. But I'm afraid you may get bored pretty quickly. I reckon that this place could be boring to many people anyway. This hasn't prevented new debaters from coming and old timers from staying. To each his own, I guess. Nah?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 am

TheRainKing777 wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Well there's quite something simple in the rules to uphold. That, I pointed it out in criticism of Jasonb's interventions, which are frankly useless and impolite -- as I said, you cannot such that much at English after years of spending your time on boards and if you're not good enough, go find a board which uses your native language.
Lets not pretend that this board is the pennacle of intelligence. Come on, the very idea of the board itself is a lesson in hilarity. My posts have brought life to some otherwise very dead threads. I've been entertained and a few others have admitted to the same which is the idea of any board really. So sticking your nose in the air and calling yourself above me because of your chosen style of conduct does not in fact make it so. I have had fun and will continue to do so until I can't do it anymore. You can cry about it all you want. People respond to me. They may not particularly like me but the beauty of it is that if you don't want to pay attention to what I have to say, you don't have to. It's that simple. But as long as one person is enjoying conversation with me and my 'antics', what does it hurt? Are you trying for some kind of spiritual enlightenment here? Why all the strict rules of conduct anyway? Fun is not allowed? You're gonna debate nonsense until you're all blue in the face? C'mon, loosen up. Debating this stuff is as much a 'waste of time' as having a little fun reading my nonsense.
And shit, typos and whole words swallowed into limbo make very odd posts.

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
TheRainKing777 wrote:
And shit, typos and whole words swallowed into limbo make very odd posts.
I guess I've had my fun. I can't really take the subject matter of this board seriously and I don't really want to jeopardize Mojo's fun so I'll bow out. A week's entertainment is enough for me as far as this stuff goes anyway. No hard feelings, I just don't really see any point in staying if my very presence and attempt at entertainment wrinkles all your stockings.. That and I'm bored here.

However, I will be watching for you Mike Dicenso. Someday this board will need a freedom fighter again and I will return.

Yours Truly,

The Once and Future King

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon May 28, 2012 6:30 am

Last edited by mojo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon May 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Really?
Your Brother?
Who would've thought?

Actually, I suspected a family member, and when "Dad" was set aside, "Sibling" became suspect number one...
Styles were too similar, plus what Mike and JMS had fond combined...

I mean, really, was anyone surprised by the big reveal? :)

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue May 29, 2012 4:42 am

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue May 29, 2012 4:45 am

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue May 29, 2012 5:11 am

Last edited by mojo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 am

TheRainKing777 wrote:I guess I've had my fun. I can't really take the subject matter of this board seriously and I don't really want to jeopardize Mojo's fun so I'll bow out. A week's entertainment is enough for me as far as this stuff goes anyway. No hard feelings, I just don't really see any point in staying if my very presence and attempt at entertainment wrinkles all your stockings.. That and I'm bored here.

However, I will be watching for you Mike Dicenso. Someday this board will need a freedom fighter again and I will return.

Yours Truly,

The Once and Future King
I never really intended the "informative" part to apply to general-topic posting or the Art and Stories sections, just the sections dedicated to debate. (How can postings in Stories / RP be informative? I think they're mostly just intended to entertain.) I also never really expected the other sections to be particularly active; they would be if a large community had grown up around SFJ, but I always recognized that as optimistic, even during the periods where I made some tentative efforts to promote the board on other online communities.

The more somber nature of this board and the relatively slow-paced nature of the community are tied, I think. Communities, as a rule, do tend to become more uniform over time; it's a tendency I've tried to avoid, but it's a lot of work. Since my approach to the debate has been dry, it's no surprise that the community that coalesced around SFJ is a fairly serious-minded one.