Enforcement policy: KirkSkywalker

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: Enforcement policy: KirkSkywalker

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:22 pm

Praeothmin wrote:I understand your point of view as well, but as I said, I'm still learning about moderating.
I've started to be more precise in my warnings, but I will start to keep them in document on my PC so that when a ban occurs, I will post it with the warnings that led to that ban.

The reason I still don't want to make the warnings public is because of the baiting I had noticed in Kor and Serafina's "debate", and also because KS easily resorts to insults when he feels someone was aggressive with him, and some posts from Mr. O. and W.I.L.G.A. did seem a bit like bait, even if they weren't intended as such.

I will continue to issue "public" warnings for rude behavior or possible flamebaits, and will keep the tallied warnings private for the moment...
It is difficult not to allow even a little bit of annoyance into your tone when being or after being insulted, sometimes its not even a conscious thing (and of course some times it is :)....).

Do you tell the person being warned what their tally is privately?.

And if so can you pm me what i am on?.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:It is difficult not to allow even a little bit of annoyance into your tone when being or after being insulted, sometimes its not even a conscious thing (and of course some times it is :)....).
I understand, and this is also why I don't want to make the tally public.
Imagine you are getting angry at someone, and know their tally is at 2 warnings, and know also that a 3rd one gets them banned.
How tempting is it to rile that person up and make him/her obtain that 3rd warning and the ban that accompanies it?
Do you tell the person being warned what their tally is privately?
IIRC, I told KirkSkywalker "This is your 2nd/3rd warning!" after each warning, and will continue to do so for all.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Kor, you can check your warning level in the user control panel. I'm at 1 for example, though I forget what for and how long they last.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 pm

The Dude wrote:Kor, you can check your warning level in the user control panel. I'm at 1 for example, though I forget what for and how long they last.
I'll let you know what for in private, but as far as how long they last, JMS didn't really discuss this with me, so I guess until you get 2 more and get banned for one day... :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Be that as it may be, to be further fair there needs to be a time limit on how long someone carrries around a warning notice, if there isn't one already.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Agreed, but as I said, that's not really something I thought to discuss with JMS... :)

I'll have to pm him for that...

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Seek and ye shall find:
    • Jedi Master Spock wrote:Starfleet Jedi Forum Rules, Disciplinary Section:
      v2.0

Three formal or informal warnings will be offered prior to applying any temporary ban on posting for normal offenses. The administrator reserves the right to apply immediate sanction against any member engaging in what are deemed severe offenses.

One solid week of good behavior while active may earn you back a warning.

Temporary bans on posting will progress largely exponentially and partially through convenience. Bans will be lifted at the earliest convenience of the SFJN staff after this length of time has passed. Repeated misbehavior will result in progressively longer and longer bans; the length of the ban will typically double:
      • 1 day
      • 2 days
      • 4 days
      • One week
      • Two weeks
      • One month
      • Two months
      • Four months
      • One year

A member who has previously earned a year-long ban in the past may, at the administrator's discretion, be banned for longer for than a year upon renewed offense.

Attempting to circumvent being banned from posting is in and of itself a bannable offense.

Spambots, or humans simulating spambots, are subject to being banned, blocked, and/or deleted without notice.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Cool, thanks.
Now all I need to know if how to "un-warn" someone... :)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Cool, thanks.
If you wanna practice id be happy to call somebody a cocksucker if you like?.......:).

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
If you wanna practice id be happy to call somebody a cocksucker if you like?.......:).
If I get it wrong, I could very well delete your account... ;)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
If I get it wrong, I could very well delete your account... ;)
That sort of mistake could have been useful in the past.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

The warning level system in the board automatically increments and stays incremented unless I manually delete the warning in the ACP. The warning system has been there since the big board upgrade a couple years ago - I just haven't bothered to use it, since the existing system of posting about 90% of my warnings publicly and sending a small fraction of them through PMs was working fine. Some are more or less specific, and some are more or less stern, but all of them have counted.

When issuing bans, I review the dates of the posts which I have issued warnings about. Praeothmin will, I presume, be doing a sensibly similar thing. Let's say you have a spell of bad behaviour:

Day 1: You post a flame. Warning.
Day 2-5: You post, but you're polite and well-behaved.
Day 6: You lose your temper again. Second warning.
Days 7-14: You quit posting on the board for a little while. You don't earn back a warning because, simply, you aren't here.
Day 15: You return and call someone something very rude. Third warning. You're on thin ice.
Days 16-25: You skirt the edge of acceptable behaviour without outright offense. Although it's been ten days since your last warning, you're still on thin ice.
Days 26-32: You have a stretch of seven days of nice behaviour. You now drop back to the level of your second warning.

This is how I have enforced the rules. We don't have software support for a system quite as complicated as that; every time I've issued a ban, it's involved either severe immediate offences or a very careful review of the poster's recent posting history. I agree with WILGA that, as a matter of procedure, it's a good idea to publicly document the offending posts that were in violation of the rules.

I haven't received any request for an appeal through PM or e-mail on the topic of KSW. The moderation log indicates that since KSW's last ban on the 17th, Praeothmin has paid some official attention to the following posts by KSW:
1 2 3 4

If anybody would like a more detailed review of KSW's posting activity leading up to his most recent ban, I am willing to make it; it will take a little time.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:09 pm

And this:
When issuing bans, I review the dates of the posts which I have issued warnings about. Praeothmin will, I presume, be doing a sensibly similar thing. Let's say you have a spell of bad behaviour:

Day 1: You post a flame. Warning.
Day 2-5: You post, but you're polite and well-behaved.
Day 6: You lose your temper again. Second warning.
Days 7-14: You quit posting on the board for a little while. You don't earn back a warning because, simply, you aren't here.
Day 15: You return and call someone something very rude. Third warning. You're on thin ice.
Days 16-25: You skirt the edge of acceptable behaviour without outright offense. Although it's been ten days since your last warning, you're still on thin ice.
Days 26-32: You have a stretch of seven days of nice behaviour. You now drop back to the level of your second warning.

This is how I have enforced the rules. We don't have software support for a system quite as complicated as that; every time I've issued a ban, it's involved either severe immediate offences or a very careful review of the poster's recent posting history. I agree with WILGA that, as a matter of procedure, it's a good idea to publicly document the offending posts that were in violation of the rules.
Is how I'll be enforcing the rules from now on...

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Two more warnings for KirkSkywalker, again for rudeness and being impolite.

First one, aimed at The Dude:
KirkSkywalker wrote:Is your name "KirkSkywalker?" Didn't think so-- not that it's ever stopped you from popping in your nosey 2-cents worth where it's not invited or wanted.
Just leave; you have never had anything constructive to contribute, and rotten couch-potatoes aren't allowed to critique.
And the second one, again aimed at The Dude, and the board in general:
Keep typing, entropists say you'll eventually write the works of shakespeare.
(Watch that fly right over his head... it's small enough).
I always knew this board, despite its huge "white hat" of "neutrality," was just another one of those troll-havens where you're all related, and anyone who's not in the clan gets banned... just like SDN.

No wonder it sucks as much ass.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:22 pm

And, warning number 3, aimed at WILGA this time:
KirkSkywalker wrote:I'd tell you to read Gogol's "The Nose," but you'd spend a lifetime explaining how the nose did everything, and miss completely the moral of the story-- i.e. that fiction does not require logic!

(Sorry to spoil it for you like that; but like I said, you'd never get it anyway).
Saying WILGA is stupid in a thinly veiled way...

The next warning will incur a 2 week ban...