Enforcement policy: KirkSkywalker

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Enforcement policy: KirkSkywalker

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm

The user KirkSkywalker, after having been warned three times, gets a 1 day Ban for breaking the board rules, which are to remain polite.

He was decidely impolite at any and all who would contest his theories or request evidence for the same.
His evidence mostly consisted of snarky remarks, some of them being rather impolite.

In order to prevent another Kor-Serafina flame war, or anything like it, the rules will be enforced more seriously.
Anyone commentary can be made in this thread, and anyone who feels this is unjustified may PM JMS to let him know, as he has final word on things here.
Thank you.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Re: Enforcement policy: KirkSkywalker

Post by Who is like God arbour » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:02 pm

I do not have any objections regarding your decision.

But I think that you should quote the impolite things, KirkSkywalker has said, if possible in its context, and your warnings while giving a link to each post from which you have quoted.

Then everybody who reads that thread can see what you mean and does not have to read through all possible other threads to find these insults and warnings to understand your reasoning.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Clearer warnings would also help imho. It's a bit harsh, I didn't get the impression that was under the threat of anything.
His attitude was annoying but nowhere the viciousness we've seen lately... mmm, it depends of the topic. We'll see...

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 pm

He was clearly being impolite to people who disagreed with him and requested simple evidence when he presented none.
The latest example would be this, in this thread:
Again, as Confucius said: "a fool can ask more questions in ten minutes, than a wise man can answer in ten years."
And you're proving it right here.
And that's enough with your pesky questions.
There's also his reply to Kendall (The Dude, who was also warned in the same thread):
But neither an officer nor a gentleman, obviously. That type usually is former.
And the first one was for a similar remark.
Everytime he comes in with an theory, and we point out the holes in them, this is the kind of answer we get if we continue pointing out he still hasn't provided evidence for anything.

If he cannot provide evidence, being rude is not the proper way to say it...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Those are not the only threads he's being unnecessarily caustic in, watch him go spiral downhill in this thread from the Art forum.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:46 pm

I don't mind "caustic" as much as I mind impolite, which he was directly in the threads above.
It appears I was very clear in my warnings, as he PMed me and didn't seem to understand why I banned him.
I explained it all hopefully more clearly this this time, so that when he comes back, he will follow the rules and remain civil.

Follow the board rules, and all will be well, I say... :)

Again, if any of you feel I'm being unjust, please let JMS know so he can act accordingly.
I don't feel I am unjust, but this is not my board, it is his...

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Don't sweat it, Praeothmin. You did fine.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:22 am

Due to his second and 3rd warnings in the SW canon thread, for being impolite, again, and not following the board rules, again, KirkSkywalker is therefore temporarily banned for 1 week...

Anyone who disagrees with this can, as usual, appeal to JMS.
Thank you.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I was wondering about that. Were you just waiting to given him a chance, or what? And while I've not been paying attention, I didn't see you give him any kind of offical warning.
-Mike

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Does he need an official warning? Really the guy has been temp banned once already, if he can't figure out that he needs to behave himself then no amount of warnings is going to help.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:23 am

In my opinion, yes. In all such dealings, to ensure fairness at all levels, Praeothmin or any other mod needs to be able to step out of a discussion in a thread, inform the offender as a staff member. This way there no issues of him being accused of merely being a sore loser in a debate, and it maintains a high level of integrity for the forum as a whole, no matter what our feelings are.
-Mike

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:13 am

That's why I already wrote that Praeothmin should quote the impolite things, KirkSkywalker has said, if possible in its context, and his warnings, while giving a link to each post from which he has quoted.

Then everybody who reads that thread can see what he means and does not have to read through all possible other threads to find these insults and warnings to understand his reasoning.

I didn't read most of what KirkSkywalker wrote and I can't remember to have read any warnings.

That does not mean that they are not there.

But fact is that the only thing I see, is that he is banned without a comprehensible explanation.

That's what others will see, when they come to this board. They will not look through endless threads to find these impolite things and warnings. They will consider it possible that the ban was not justified but the result of a frustrated debater who abused his mod-powers.

Legitimation through proceedings (Legitimation durch Verfahren).

It's not only because others should be enabled to understand the decision of an authority, but also to protect the authority from making mistakes. If an authority has to give a detailed explanation for its decision, it is forced to contemplate the whole decision again. That prevents to a certain degree hasty and possibly wrong decisions.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Still new at this.
I don't know if you've noticed, but after his 1 and 2 day bans, I did warn him, and others, once or twice in the threads where I noticed exchanges heating up.
These "public" warnings were not counted in the tally, they were some kind of "warning shots".
Each "private warning" concerning insults and such are sent privately to the concerned person.
I feel this allows the concerned person to "straighten up" without others using his status to provoke him into another warning or possibly a ban.

While I can't find his fisrt warning (I issued it on Sept. 22nd, but I cannot read my warnings without a system error), I still remember the other warnings.

His second warning, on Sept. 25th, was for this comment towards The Dude:
KirkSkywalker wrote:SDN trolls are a dime-a-dozen; go back there where you belong.
That comment came after he accused Dude of "spreading his hate around the web"...

His third warning, on the same day, for this comment, still aimed at The Dude:
That's what a typical person with a very low IQ thinks, i.e. wishfully-- thus your complete ignorance of the phrase "against all logic," which is also why you find the truth defamatory.
If you find I was unfair, let JMS know, but I feel this was fair, since he's been warned 6 times previously, and banned twice, for similar issues.
I would think this consequence for continued ignorance of the rules would have been clear...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:16 pm

I understand that, but it may not be as obvious to others, especially newcomers. It's a great way of driving off potential members through the appearance of being biased or being a sore loser. So WILGA and I are just giving friendly advice on the procedural aspects of this matter, as well as for use in future similar situations, not that we have any disagreement necesarukt on the banning itself.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:12 pm

I understand your point of view as well, but as I said, I'm still learning about moderating.
I've started to be more precise in my warnings, but I will start to keep them in document on my PC so that when a ban occurs, I will post it with the warnings that led to that ban.

The reason I still don't want to make the warnings public is because of the baiting I had noticed in Kor and Serafina's "debate", and also because KS easily resorts to insults when he feels someone was aggressive with him, and some posts from Mr. O. and W.I.L.G.A. did seem a bit like bait, even if they weren't intended as such.

I will continue to issue "public" warnings for rude behavior or possible flamebaits, and will keep the tallied warnings private for the moment...