Selecting a moderator

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Trinoya
Security Officer

Re: Selecting a moderator

Post by Trinoya » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:39 am

Naturally it would be two mods then. This is just simple logic.

^_^

Anyway, I'm just saying that, 'for the long term' kinda deal.

Edit to avoid double post:

I think that your first goal, JMS, should be to figure out how you want to structure any mod hierarchy as it were. Even if you just get one mod now, it would be nice to know a general layout of how you want to go about adding new ones in the future. For example: Would one mod be responsible for a group of forums, or would all mods be responsible for all forums (just an example, not a suggestion).

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:27 am

A moderator should not be chosen for his opinion but for his ability to decide fair and objective. And he should be able to explain his decisions and acts.

He should always remember that it is not his task to decide which side has the better arguments or to evaluate or validate any arguments at all. The only purpose of the moderator would be to control that there are no spams, flames or insults and maybe he has to split or move a thread. With other words, he has to watch the form and not the substance of a debate. That's exactly what Jedi Master Spock is doing in his capacity as Site Administrator.

If I weren't probably the only lawyer on this board, I would suggest one as a moderator. But seeing that there are not so many rules, I'm sure that also someone who is not a lawyer can manage to watch their observance.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Trinoya wrote:Naturally it would be two mods then. This is just simple logic.

^_^

Anyway, I'm just saying that, 'for the long term' kinda deal.

Edit to avoid double post:

I think that your first goal, JMS, should be to figure out how you want to structure any mod hierarchy as it were. Even if you just get one mod now, it would be nice to know a general layout of how you want to go about adding new ones in the future. For example: Would one mod be responsible for a group of forums, or would all mods be responsible for all forums (just an example, not a suggestion).
In the distant future, moderators might be responsible for specific forum sections, if the board becomes rather more active and busy. For now, there seems little point - it is a fairly small forum. For the moment, I am trying out Praeothmin as a security officer. I enjoy the suggestions, and I expect that several of you would make good moderators - but we will try just one security officer for the moment. In the mean time, however, bear in mind that you don't need to be a moderator to help calm discussion.

I feel, in general, that a more or less judicial-style system is best. Decisions made by more junior moderators can be appealed to more senior moderators.

The Security Officer usergroup has been assigned basically three specific abilities:

First, thread management abilities. Praeothmin can now move, split, merge, and lock threads. This power does not extend to editing and deleting posts.

Second, access to the report/warning system. Praeothmin may now see post reports, and may issue private warnings through the board's integral warning system. (Which, we may note, I haven't been using.)

Third, ability to issue and lift bans on users. As noted in the enforcement policies, Praeothmin's bans are subject to appeal to higher officers - namely myself.
WILGA wrote:A moderator should not be chosen for his opinion but for his ability to decide fair and objective. And he should be able to explain his decisions and acts.

He should always remember that it is not his task to decide which side has the better arguments or to evaluate or validate any arguments at all. The only purpose of the moderator would be to control that there are no spams, flames or insults and maybe he has to split or move a thread. With other words, he has to watch the form and not the substance of a debate. That's exactly what Jedi Master Spock is doing in his capacity as Site Administrator.
Precisely.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:50 pm

So, Praeothming got a new job?
Are we supposed to pop some champagne or something?
... guys?

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:14 pm

He'll have to settle for congrats. Sending him champagne through the mail is expensive.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:18 pm

We're cheap. That will do:

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:44 am

Gah! My internet eye!

Seriously though, congrats and i wish you the best of luck in this position ^_^

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:19 am

Excellent choice, JMS.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:21 pm

A toast to Praeothmin!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Congrats and good luck. Hopefully this will work out for one and all.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks guys, but don't worry, I really see the "Security Officer" as the guy who says:
"Guys, this is getting out of hand, please cool it or leave the thread for a while".

I'm really not hoping to ban anyone, and certainly will try to let people grab their cool in case of heated exchanges.
And, even moreso, since the only real time such a position was need was in the "Transgender" thread, I think thing's calm down for a while... ;)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 pm

The Dude wrote:He'll have to settle for congrats. Sending him champagne through the mail is expensive.
Although I'm not that far away from you, so if you ever wander near Quebec city, you can bring the bottle, or we can just grab a few beers... :)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Grats, il try not to piss you off too much :).

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:Grats, il try not to piss you off too much :).
You can piss me off as much as you want, actually, as long as you do it following the rules... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:Grats, il try not to piss you off too much :).
You can piss me off as much as you want, actually, as long as you do it following the rules... :)
Reported for abusive use of mod power. >:[