Selecting a moderator

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
The Dude
Jedi Knight

Re: Selecting a moderator

Post by The Dude » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
The Dude wrote:He'll have to settle for congrats. Sending him champagne through the mail is expensive.
Although I'm not that far away from you, so if you ever wander near Quebec city, you can bring the bottle, or we can just grab a few beers... :)
If I ever manage to get back to the Maritimes, I'll stop in and have a few. ;)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 pm

It has been slightly over one month since I appointed Praeothmin to his post. I have been mostly absent, but nobody has seen fit to draw anything to my attention. Now, I ask you for your evaluations of Praeothmin's performance as a security officer, and ask whether or not Praeothmin should be confirmed in this position.

If you are worried about retribution from our new security officer, feel free to PM or e-mail me your comments instead of posting them publicly.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:01 am

"Well enough, but room for some improvement."

Mostly because some folks seem confused about what and when warnings have been issued, it's not a particular concern of mine though.

BTW, couldn't vote.
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:54 am

I voted the same "Well enough, but room for some improvement."

Praeothmin's done all right, but as I've said before, he needs to watch his step on procedure since he is representing SFJN in an offical capacity now, and what he does will be scrutinized closely. It is absolutely necessary in order to maintain this board's credibility
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:00 am

The Dude wrote:BTW, couldn't vote.
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
This particular bug was an inadvertent bug resulting from the most recent board software update.

I have specifically patched this one, but you may have pointed me in the direction of fixing some of the odder quirks that popped up recently. You should now be able to actually cast votes in the poll.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:12 am

Well enough but lots of room for improvement.

As a lawyer, I'm a stickler for proceedings.

Before a verdict is executed, the person concerned should have an hearing (audi alteram partem).

The security officer should send a pm to the person concerned.

This pm should contain
  • all offending posts and, if it is not obviously, why the post is offending,
  • an explanation, why it is seen as offending and
  • all warnings and
  • the planned verdict with an explanation why this is seen as appropriate.
Then the person concerned should have the chance to defend himself within a reasonable time.

Maybe an allegedly offending post was not meant to be offending or a warning could not have been seen as such or maybe between two offending posts, the person concerned has behaved for more than a week and a warning should have been deleted.

If the person concerned has valid objections, they should be considered

Maybe it is necessary to debate if the objections are valid in a kind of trial.

And in the end, after considering all that was said, the security officer has to decide and has to give a comprehensible explanation for his decision.

With other words, he has to write a kind of verdict and publicise it .

That's not so difficult because he can copy and paste more or less all that was written in the trial.

Yes, that is a little bit more complex then what happens at SDN or Spacebattles.

But it is fair and comprehensible.

And the person concerned still should have the opportunity to appeal to JMS.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Dude, this isn't a court. Just sending him the warning via PM and posting the offending post publicly with a note on why its bad and action taken is enough.

Maybe we just ought to have a stickied "warning thread"

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm

The Dude wrote:Maybe we just ought to have a stickied "warning thread"
I like that idea.
I've been thinking about what Mike and others ahve said, about publicly posting warnings, and I think it has some merits.
I will create the warning thread the next time a warning is issued, with only the amount of warnings each person has.
The actual warnings and their reason for existing will be displayed in the person's "personal" thread...

And W.I.L.G.A, as the Dude said:
this isn't a court.
I don't have time to spend on hearings, procedures and appeals...
This is a forum, the rules are pretty clear, simply follow them or endure the consequences...

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 am

Sure, that is no court.

That's why I did not proposed that the person concerned needs a consel and a public hearing. After all, we are not debating legal aspects.

But justness is only possible if certain principles of a fair trial are obeyed.

These principles do not only apply in court trials, but also in administrative proceedings and all other proceedings in which an authority decides about another person.

If you do not give the person the chance to speak for him- or herself, your decision, even if it may be right in the end, is unjustness.

If you do not explain your decision, even if it may be right in the end, is unjustness and may not be comprehended by others.

That's my opinion.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:46 pm

I think he's done great. Let's keep him. I voted the first option.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 am

Praeothmin has passed his review. I have now placed Mike DiCenso on the spot by placing him in the "Security Officers" group. This might seem like an excessive number; however, I would like to also announce that I am personally stepping back from handling direct enforcement of the rules to let others handle it. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that I have already stepped back from this, and I'm announcing the intention not to resume, but either way, it's fairly clear.

The two of you should make sure to communicate to each other. I will still be stepping in to handle appeals, disagreements, clarifying policy, et cetera as necessary. If either moderator is misbehaving in any way, I expect to hear about it via PM or e-mail promptly. Mike DiCenso is in a trial period just as Praeothmin was, and we'll be evaluating his performance in about a month; however, he is in no way considered senior or junior to Praeothmin in terms of rank within the security officer group.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:06 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Mike DiCenso is in a trial period just as Praeothmin was, and we'll be evaluating his performance in about a month; however, he is in no way considered senior or junior to Praeothmin in terms of rank within the security officer group.
Queen?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Let's say we're the security twins, and leave it at that... :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Queen? Why Mr. Oragahn, that's one of the most awesome rock bands ever! But seriously, my being a mod now will hopefully take some of the burden off of Praeothmin so he can go back to enjoying some of the threads. In this case we can police each other as he can call me in to monitor a potential problem user he might be arguing with, and vice versa.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Yup, I was getting a bit flustered at all the new replies in threads, and my RL impeding my ability to be here... :)