Constabnt Relogging!

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Constabnt Relogging!

Post by PunkMaister » Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 am

For some reason now one needs to constantly re-log in this website, I've removed all cookies so they are not the cause of the problem.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Constabnt Relogging!

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 14, 2010 5:02 am

I had a similar problem not quite 2 weeks ago. It got bad enough that I would log in, but then could not say logged in for more than a few seconds, and or I would go into a specific forum to reply to a post, but then get booted out and need to log back in, unfortunately with the same results.

I finally had to contact JMS and have him go take care of the issue. I do not know what he did specifically, but it has kept me logged in the way I'm supposed to be. You may wish to email him directly and see if it will work for you as well.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Things have changed a tad for me. When you're logged off, you can't see the REPLY button.

I could, but when I clicked on it, I had to login. However, the difference is that once logged, it directly brought me to the posting form for the thread, while the bug would always bring me to the index. So I guess you may call this an improvement. :D

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I had a similar problem not quite 2 weeks ago. It got bad enough that I would log in, but then could not say logged in for more than a few seconds, and or I would go into a specific forum to reply to a post, but then get booted out and need to log back in, unfortunately with the same results.

I finally had to contact JMS and have him go take care of the issue. I do not know what he did specifically, but it has kept me logged in the way I'm supposed to be. You may wish to email him directly and see if it will work for you as well.
-Mike
Well I contacted him to no avail. :(

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:08 am

PunkMaister wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I had a similar problem not quite 2 weeks ago. It got bad enough that I would log in, but then could not say logged in for more than a few seconds, and or I would go into a specific forum to reply to a post, but then get booted out and need to log back in, unfortunately with the same results.

-Mike
Well I contacted him to no avail. :(
I must have missed that. Sorry!

What I did was a very minor tweak to the cookie settings for the board as a whole and clear the current sessions. If PunkMaister has been having issues the whole time, it's a different issue, unfortunately. I was never able to reproduce Mike's problem from my end.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 pm

I keep fiddling around cookies and other odd things like that to see why I still have the problem.
I removed all cookies, tried to see what would happen without the "default" options for "Set cookies" in the permission tab of page property (Firefox) and at some point, when I went with option block, I was effectively forced to relog everytime I'd close the page. Ok that was normal, but when returning to the default mode, I still found myself stuck with the required login input if I'd close the page.

I was looking on the web to see if there was an auto logout issue with phpBB or something, but there aren't many positive results to this query -although I saw some admin speak of a minimum time log refresh or something which could be set in the site's parameters.

I noticed, in the page's parameters as shown in Firefox, that starfleetjedi.net is said to store no cookie information on my computer (security tab in page info). Odd, especially since I erased no less than four cookies attached to this website.

I looked in my profile and saw no option anywhere about blocking cookies. It's still good to remember that the problem appeared without I doing anything about the parameters on my browser or my member.

Could there be a glitch in the "log me automatically at each visit" option?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 am

Ha. I also noticed something weird. In a tab, I loaded the form to reply to a thread. It took me a while to type the post. Many minutes later, I needed to search for something else on this website so opened another tab from a bookmark which leads me to the root of the SFJN board tree.
It was shown that I was logged out. Yet, when I pressed preview after pasting the text in the empty text frame, and after having to do it twice because the first time it was said to be invalid (that's when you wait too long generally), the BB showed the preview. I submitted the post without any trouble. OK. I opened a third tab, again straight to the site's root, and I was shown as logged out.

Oh, something else, completely unrelated. I used Google to find some specific thread here, but when I'd click on the link from Google's list of results, it would lead me to a thread which has nothing with what was indicated. This happened primarily for the WH40K threads I started.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:18 am

As of yesterday, I started suffering a strange new problem here; while answering to several posts, I noticed an increasing lag while typing. As of this posting, it's not as bad as yesterday, but still there.

Oh and speaking of Google, what's up with the Googlebot thing?
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Yes, there's Google[bot] and another one poking their e-heads there from time to time. It's odd. Since when spiders register on boards? :)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Yes, there's Google[bot] and another one poking their e-heads there from time to time. It's odd. Since when spiders register on boards? :)
It's more that our board software recognizes them these days.
Mike DiCenso wrote:As of yesterday, I started suffering a strange new problem here; while answering to several posts, I noticed an increasing lag while typing. As of this posting, it's not as bad as yesterday, but still there.
I think that's on your end as a browser issue. The website itself shouldn't actually interact with the text box.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Ha. I also noticed something weird. In a tab, I loaded the form to reply to a thread. It took me a while to type the post. Many minutes later, I needed to search for something else on this website so opened another tab from a bookmark which leads me to the root of the SFJN board tree.
It was shown that I was logged out. Yet, when I pressed preview after pasting the text in the empty text frame, and after having to do it twice because the first time it was said to be invalid (that's when you wait too long generally), the BB showed the preview. I submitted the post without any trouble. OK. I opened a third tab, again straight to the site's root, and I was shown as logged out.
The board uses a combination of session IDs and cookies, so when you open up a new instance, it has the cookies but not the SID string in the URL. By the way, you probably shouldn't include SID number strings in links that you post elsewhere - the "&sid=23408208..." trailing part of the string is a unique identifier for that session with that user. Clip everything after "&p=XXXXX" when you're linking directly to a post; for topics, there's a "&start=XX" tag that indicates the post number in the thread that the display starts with (i.e., this gives page number of the thread).
Oh, something else, completely unrelated. I used Google to find some specific thread here, but when I'd click on the link from Google's list of results, it would lead me to a thread which has nothing with what was indicated. This happened primarily for the WH40K threads I started.
Odd.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 am

Is it that bad to post the full URL with the SID? What's the SID actually?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Is it that bad to post the full URL with the SID? What's the SID actually?
Session identification number. The board keeps a list of current sessions.

I don't think it's a major issue on this version of the board software, but on some boards, pasting a URL with a current SID # meant that anybody clicking it before your session expired would be logged in as you.

I wouldn't be surprised if trimming off the SIDs also helps search engines figure out what discussions are relevant and have the right URLs, but that would be a secondary consideration as opposed to account security.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Is it that bad to post the full URL with the SID? What's the SID actually?
Session identification number. The board keeps a list of current sessions.

I don't think it's a major issue on this version of the board software, but on some boards, pasting a URL with a current SID # meant that anybody clicking it before your session expired would be logged in as you.

I wouldn't be surprised if trimming off the SIDs also helps search engines figure out what discussions are relevant and have the right URLs, but that would be a secondary consideration as opposed to account security.
Ah... OK, it's quite bad actually. It can be used maliciously. I never noticed that bit in fact, but I suppose the BB system would filter it out, since it totally useless as a reference to the user if he/she/it wants to link to this thread from another board.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm

I notice that it won't keep me logged in if I close the browser window. I generally like to stay logged in on forums so when I don't have to log in every time I load up the site. Is this a bug or is something that was set up for a reason?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Tyralak wrote:I notice that it won't keep me logged in if I close the browser window. I generally like to stay logged in on forums so when I don't have to log in every time I load up the site. Is this a bug or is something that was set up for a reason?
Nor me, most others i open i do not need to log in to but this one i do every time.