Forum software upgrade

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Forum software upgrade

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 pm

As you have probably already inferred, the board software has been recently modified. Please let me know (A) if I broke anything and (B) what you think of the new style.

I'm considering switching the topic images back to the old ones, personally, the new ones seem brighter and louder the more I look at them...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Forum software upgrade

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Wow, that's class.
I was about to suggest making a new banner if I could spool Photoshop.
I guess we now have access to a bit more BB functions.

Now, just my 2c on the stuff below.
On the points that need to be checked and improved, I'd say perhaps a bit less clashy colours.
For example, the border color of many buttons and other things (near white) tends to make the text a bit hard to read.
When I started to fiddle my own blog's interface, I tried to favour discrete colours for various borders and other separations, to put the emphasis on a clearer text, because that's what matters, and to avoid straining the eye.
It really took me a while, like a whole week, to get a good balance between a given colour theme, and something efficient.

Also, some typos seem a bit smallish in comparison to what we previously had.
All the part:

Code: Select all

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF
Seems to be in font size 8 or so.

Btw, with the preview, I realized that the "code" box doesn't really blend well with the page.

A quotation test now:
My dog is happy and I surf on Mars With Clint Eastwood.
The colour of the text in the "post" box, when replying, is pink/purple right now.
When I pass the cursor over it, it turns into a dark purple. That's not really making things easy to read when you want to cut some words out and move stuff, if you can't really see where you're going.
It's sad to say, but the grayer interface had the advantage of not distracting the view.

Also, what happened to your nickname? We can barely read it in that cryptic red font.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:35 pm

OK, more opinions. :p
The pink font on the dark background is really killing me globes. X_X

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:OK, more opinions. :p
The pink font on the dark background is really killing me globes. X_X
We've had that exact shade of pink for a long time on the forum titles. But I think you hit on the big change in your first post: The background is blacker.

Overall, it's a lot noisier/brighter looking than I wanted it to be. I'll be working on toning it down.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:39 am

Just out of curiosity, what is the new software? Is it expensive?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:32 pm

I like it a lot.
It's nifty and Shiny... :)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the new software? Is it expensive?
It's a newer version of phpBB, which means it is free.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 am

I hate the hot pink color of the text, especially when I'am typing up a post. Is there anyway to change that and the flashing between pink and white text color?
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:47 am

I'm pretty sure there is, I just have to trace down the right part of the style. However, I just discovered that some data did not, for some reason, port over correctly, and that's a higher priority. I have plenty of backups, so this should also be fixable.

EDIT: OK, I've discovered that "some data" means 476 posts. Not randomly distributed, either, I have a good idea what went wrong. And also what step of the transfer process. I should have looked more carefully at the transferred product before going live with it... this is going to take a bit of work to fix.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:53 pm

I've modified the stylesheet a bit to address the codebox and the input text. Still think it could use some improvements, though. I'm thinking that the buttons are a little too "loud" and could use a bit of dimming around the edges - thoughts?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:51 am

It's a vast improvement over the initial setup.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:I've modified the stylesheet a bit to address the codebox and the input text. Still think it could use some improvements, though. I'm thinking that the buttons are a little too "loud" and could use a bit of dimming around the edges - thoughts?
Concur that it would be an improvement, but it is not critical. The bright white borders just make the interior text hard to read . . . even a minor mod would suffice.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 am

I am having a problem with longer posts. After x length, the box starts to shift as I type and it becomes almost unmanagable to the point that I hate using the text box for anything more than a short response or else I have to fight it. Any way to fix that?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:38 pm

I wonder if it might be a settings or web browser issue since whenever I post lengthly replies, I don't see the text box stretch out larger, it just keeps on scrolling downwards.
-Mike