Canon Status of Clone Wars Movie Novelization?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

Canon Status of Clone Wars Movie Novelization?

Post by 2046 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:55 pm

I have no idea on this one. Should the Karen Traviss-penned novelization of the Clone Wars theatrical release be considered on par with the novelizations of the films? What do you think?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:14 pm

What we think doesn't matter.

Having said that, I've heard of nothing yet that would make it anything more then C-level cannon. But, if Chee decides to class the clone wars series as G-canon any time in the near future, then it's more then possible that the novelization gets bumped as well.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:20 pm

• It all depends on the ranking of the Clone Wars movies and if the distance in the ranking between movies and novelzation is always the same.

I assume, that the distance in the ranking is the same because I see no reason, why the distance between the 6 movies and their novelizations should be higher than the the distance between the Clone Wars movies and their novelization.

Therfore, if the Clone Wars movies have a lower rank than the 6 movies, their novelizations are lower than the novelizations of the 6 movies. Only if the Clone Wars movies are considered on par with the 6 movies, their novelizations are also on par with the novelizations of the 6 movies.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:28 pm

l33telboi wrote:What we think doesn't matter.
Touché. ;)
I've heard of nothing yet that would make it anything more then C-level cannon. But, if Chee decides to class the clone wars series as G-canon any time in the near future, then it's more then possible that the novelization gets bumped as well.
Sorry, I guess I should've specified that I wasn't interested in the Lucasfilm continuity placement. I was thinking more in terms of the Lucas canon vs. the Licensing OCP, where the movie novelizations constitute exceptions to the usual novel rule.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:52 pm

2046 wrote:Sorry, I guess I should've specified that I wasn't interested in the Lucasfilm continuity placement. I was thinking more in terms of the Lucas canon vs. the Licensing OCP, where the movie novelizations constitute exceptions to the usual novel rule.
In that case - I have no idea.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:59 pm

I agree with Wilga's funny phrasing.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:50 pm

I have doubts that people will want to consider the animated Clone Wars on par with the core trilogies, but at this point, it's all guesswork. It's certainly a good question to ask, and someone should probably ask Chee on SW.com. Lucas is unlikely to respond to direct inquiries, although he'll surely make more statements in interviews in due course after the film hits the box office.

Ted C
Bridge Officer

Re: Canon Status of Clone Wars Movie Novelization?

Post by Ted C » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 pm

2046 wrote:I have no idea on this one. Should the Karen Traviss-penned novelization of the Clone Wars theatrical release be considered on par with the novelizations of the films? What do you think?
Presumably, although I'm loathe to give Karen Traviss credibility on anything.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:50 am

The way the movies are handled with its heirarchy:

Being a cartoon, it is visually subservient to the visuals of the films because they aren't intended to be as accurate/realistic, as if it was a live action movie with cgi. This makes the toon lower than the live action in that regard alone: just visually in certain situations. This would mean that the novel of it would be similar to the movie novels, but a little lower in ranking, though not that much and not of any real significance.

The way LL does things:

Equals the movie novels in rank.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: Canon Status of Clone Wars Movie Novelization?

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 pm

Ted C wrote:
2046 wrote:I have no idea on this one. Should the Karen Traviss-penned novelization of the Clone Wars theatrical release be considered on par with the novelizations of the films? What do you think?
Presumably, although I'm loathe to give Karen Traviss credibility on anything.
Well, it became clear pretty quickly (almost from her first Republic Commando book) that the folks working for Lucas really liked the way Karen Traviss worked. It took a little longer to be clear that Saxton was passe among the editors, but I think the Saxtonite/Fandalorian flame wars forced the branch running SW.com to make a choice between the two.

You may just have to join the crowd who say "After X, man, it just wasn't Star Wars anymore..."

I agree with GStone that the Clone Wars novelization has to rank close to the bottom of the Lucas-related scale of things. The only thing on that scale that we can be sure ranks lower is the Holiday Special.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 pm

After the Holiday Special, man, it just wasn't Star Wars anymore...
A'some.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:32 am

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa? ... start=1980

Chee says that the Clone Wars movie novelization wasn't done like the film novelizations . . . it's pretty much Karen Traviss going off of scripts.

So, I'd say the novelization of the film probably isn't worth spit to Lucas, and thus would not be considered as being significant for the purpose of understanding the Lucas pillar.

I'd say case closed, barring any new evidence to the contrary.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:55 pm

The novelization in that case is more like those comic book adaptation of films?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:15 am

I'm glad. One less 'techie' book I have to worry about getting for now.