New Lucas Quote

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

New Lucas Quote

Post by 2046 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:26 am

Do you think you'd have other people continue the Star Wars saga past Episode VI or turn some of the other material into films?

But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. But there's three worlds: There's my world that I made up, there's the licensing world that's the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their world, and then there's the fans' world, which is also very rich in imagination, but they don't always mesh. All I'm in charge of is my world. I can't be in charge of those other people's world, because I can't keep up with it.
http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/ne ... 80317.html

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Well, that one seems even more blatant than the last starlog quote.

"There is no story." That seems to hammer the nail (yet again) into the coffin just to be sure.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:07 am

Very interesting the way that Lucas describes it as it could be taken that there are four parallel universes now, not just the two previous ones we've heard mentioned: Movies only and Movies/EU continuities. Now we have what... Game World and Fan World here? I hope that certain folks don't try to mean that that quote legitimizes their little speculations...
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:48 am

I don't think the games were separate from the rest . . . Lucas is really hard to punctuate. He speaks, as many do, in more of a stream-of-consciousness way.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:09 am

Huh. I sort of looked at the Thrawn trilogy as episodes 7, 8, and 9. Not that I would have ever expected them to be made into films, as that would require recasting and I don't think anyone would've accepted anyone else in those roles, but in my head.. I thought of those books as the third trilogy.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:36 pm

I'm afraid people will read too much into this one as well.

He both defines three worlds, which the third is pretty much all fanon and irrelevant.
He also recognizes that Luke Skywalker's story continues in the books, which is the EU.
All he's stating is that there's no Anakin Skywalker story after episode VI, which is rather obvious, since he's dead.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:49 pm

Lucas does leave himself open to changing his mind. Anakin dies in ep 6, but we see that his reconversion back to a jedi has him living on in spirit form. If he changed his mind, he could say that his story continues, while he's joined the Force and how he lives his spirit life, as the people of the galaxy continue with their now free lives.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:58 pm

http://www.canonwars.com/weblog/2008/03 ... ports.html

More on the Lucas-quote bounty from ShoWest 2008, including video of Lucas responding to a question containing the word "canon"!

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:55 pm

With the pic from comingsoon.net, Lucas' neck is gonna explode!!!

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I'm afraid people will read too much into this one as well.

He both defines three worlds, which the third is pretty much all fanon and irrelevant.
He also recognizes that Luke Skywalker's story continues in the books, which is the EU.
All he's stating is that there's no Anakin Skywalker story after episode VI, which is rather obvious, since he's dead.
He is aware of a continuing Luke story in the novels, yes, but he doesn't endorse it as correct/factual. It is part of one of three different "versions" of Star Wars that "don't always mesh", to use his terms.