Replying to offsite stuff here VS going over there to talk (

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:36 pm

consequences wrote:In any case, I highly recommend coping. You've had more than five years since ICS to convince the internet of the shining undeniable truth of your position. How's that worked out for you again?
We both know that 90% of the people debating isn't going to change their minds or their stance on what's what in vs. debating. And that wouldn't change even if God came down and told them they were wrong.

'Getting the truth out' is a lot different, I'm afraid. We don't debate because we want to change the minds of the opposition, because that's quite a moot point, we do it to convince those that haven't already made up their mind.

And quite frankly, those who aren't interested in reading the other side of the argument strikes me as the type of people that aren't really doing this because it's fun, but rather because their side has to win (which is naturally because they're more awesome).

Basically, IMO, if someone is actually interested in debating and the 'truth', then they won't stop at reading the opinions of one side. And if they do, then they're never going to change their mind.

Of course, I find this whole thread quite laughable. Not long ago when I joined SDN to point out a blatant lie about me, people were defending their right to blabber on other sites instead of actually joining the threads I'm in because 'it might create discomfort'.

This 'proxy' debating quite pathetic. In any shape or form. If there's a thread you want to respond to here, respond to it here. If there's one you want to respond to on SDN, then respond to it there.

And you realize, of course, that the 'truth' isn't decided by popularity.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:49 pm

consequences wrote:In any case, I highly recommend coping. You've had more than five years since ICS to convince the internet of the shining undeniable truth of your position. How's that worked out for you again?
Well, except for the members of SDN, a lot of people in vs debates (such as I've seen on Spacebattles) do not believe the ICS is valid where firepower figures are concerned.
Even on Spacebattles, most of the people who hold the ICS as gospel truth are also members of SDN, and some of the greatest SDN defenders.
Heck, even some employees of Lucasfilms say the ICS firepower figures are inflated way too much.
But enough digressing... :)

What I am saying essentially is that the number of people who actually might respect him more for going over there to debate would more then probably not be big enough to be worth the hassle.
Do you really think that he would convince anyone of the SW vs ST thread, or that they would raise their respect of him?
Since he would be going over there to defend points that they had already ridiculed, do you really think that it would change anything in the long run?
I don't, and I'm pretty sure most people here feel the same.

If it was any other website the suggestion would be valid, but where SDN is concerned, I think it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
But, as was said earlier, anyone over there are more then welcomed to come here and debate, like others have done in the past.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:33 pm

I agree that carrying on a conversation across two distinct internet forums is silly - but it's been going on quite a bit, and the reasons for it have been explained before, I believe. For various reasons, few people are willing to maintain active accounts on both boards.
consequences wrote:I'm suggesting that if he considers the moral high ground of being perceived to be more polite and reasonable to be important, he can go out there and stick to his guns. Undoubtedly seeing the big meanie warsie thugs get verbally abusive will earn him points among those who actually care about such distinctions.
My cool under fire does appear to have earned me points on the occasional jaunt to other boards, namely ST.com.

However, there is much more involved with politeness than the moral high ground; there are questions of content and effective communication. See other thread.
Heck, as far as I can tell just from the names I recognize, 19% of the population here is Sd.netters in reasonably good standing, accounting for 12% of the total posts on this board. Of course, to put the absolute number in perspective, it represents a smidgen more than half a percent of the current Sd.net population, and even accounting for the relative longevity of the boards, barely a fifth of a percent of the activity there. Or to put it plainly, he can go there, or be effectively ignored apart from irregular moments where he will be noticed somewhere and made fun of for a time.
As has been pointed out, the Trek v Wars section on SDN has relatively low rates of activity. Most of the current activity on that board section - which, over its lifespan, has indeed averaged ~5 times the post rate of our Trek/Wars section - is centered around talking about other websites.

Of the eight threads in that section that have received posts in the last month:
  • One is about some profile of a Trekkie Poe found online.
  • One is a catch-all thread about the recently launched wiki.
  • The largest seems to be largely SDN members complaining about SFJ.
  • One is about Poe making a video ... in response to talking to me on ST.com.
  • The smallest is a thread about credentials that was cross-posted here in "Rules of Evidence" (and saw much more activity here - 52 replies vs 11).
  • The next three smallest threads are actually "on topic" to Trek/Wars as we might measure it here.
The first four threads I mentioned have a total of 2303 replies... the last three, 101. By contrast, our Trek/Wars section has 9 threads active in the last month, with a total of 394 replies.
So if he actually wants to get his views out, un-editted, un-altered, and un-cherry-picked he has to leave the confines of this board.
More specifically, if I wish that, I should be going to other boards entirely. If I post directly on SDN, they are, to gauge from reviews, liable to be edited, altered, and cherry-picked there, buried under a large amount of noisy posts that say little, and/or removed from public view. What's the point?

For example, ST.com and SW.com, both of which I had registered accounts at last time I checked, are fairly large public boards with broad membership bases, lots of posting activity, and better signal to noise ratios. I usually don't have time to generate a lot of posts and replies.

Whether you just want to see SDN made livelier, or if the fact that members of SDN who haven't bothered to actually read what I'm saying are receiving a highly selective version of what I've said bothers you...

... then by all means, feel free to start a thread there where you quote/link my latest posts wholesale for SDN's reading pleasure:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:blah blah blah rules blah blah blah
To judge by what's currently active in the Trek/Wars section over there, it might be quite popular.

consequences
Redshirt

Post by consequences » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:53 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
So if he actually wants to get his views out, un-editted, un-altered, and un-cherry-picked he has to leave the confines of this board.
More specifically, if I wish that, I should be going to other boards entirely. If I post directly on SDN, they are, to gauge from reviews, liable to be edited, altered, and cherry-picked there, buried under a large amount of noisy posts that say little, and/or removed from public view. What's the point?
Frankly the rest of it is your business, and your decision. However your accusation that your posts would be editted and altered is unfounded, and does you no credit.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:57 am

Praeothmin wrote:And, GStone, consequences was not being aggressive in his posts, IMO, but yours do come off as such.
Give me a fucking break... despite the fact that they whine and bitch and moan... why should JMS give a fuck about signing up...
I think it would be more in line with this site's way of thinking if you could try to be more civil.
Just asking... :)

*Edit: I meant "not being aggressive"... sorry*
That wasn't being agressive. It was said in the face palm, dumbfounded and eye rolling nature of my reaction to his 'pot calling the kettle black' statement. As if SDN members were the paragon of virtue and all that other nobel stuff.

When I'm agressive online, I start swaring like I'm yosemite sam. :-P
consequences wrote:
GStone wrote:
consequences wrote:See possibility four.
So, you suggest that he should become a masochist, if he isn't already one.
What, seeing expletives on a computer screen causes physical pain? Does this make me a masochist for reading your posts as of now?
Masochism can involve, and often does, emotional pain. And 'cursing someone out', involves more than just expletives. Once you understand the breath of masochism, we can return to this point.
I'm suggesting that if he considers the moral high ground of being perceived to be more polite and reasonable to be important, he can go out there and stick to his guns. Undoubtedly seeing the big meanie warsie thugs get verbally abusive will earn him points among those who actually care about such distinctions.
To be fair, a thug actually has the intention and capability to an extent of harming someone else. Actual thugs that show up on SDN are fed to the vultures. There was one that had posted an email he had sent to Darkstar, something about threatenig him and the higher ups at SDN pounced on him because of the legal issues. Those that you are applying the word thug to are nothing more than the little noise makers from china that you use at new years.

And if he really does have a position that he feels is morally superior, it isn't necessary to post at SDN. They already follow his writings from his site and this board. There's no need to retype every single thing twice.
Quite frankly, the SD.net population as a whole doesn't care about you, your board, or STvs.SW in general at this point. Hence the need to actually go over there if you don't want to be cherry-picked, and then have the debate on that point ignored forever more after that moment.
1) Oh, please. So much of what I've written over the years has been brought to SDN from other boards and has been complained about that I should get an honorary title of 'SDN Troll'. And, if they really didn't give a damn about us, the 'More Trektardisms' thread wouldn't still be growing where they talk about us most of the time.

66 pages with the last post this past Friday. You're right, they aren't obsesssed with us. They often forget we exist.

2) Oka, so you admit SDN cherry picks what others say. This was always known, but I do like it when an SDN member admits to it.
And I'm sorry, but do you really want to revisit the egregious examples of tactical thoughtlessness that you were espousing in that thread in a manner that would shame a cherry butter-bar?
I had a response to Gniops all planned out, including such tibits of research as the idea of rigor happening, as well as the ideas that my initial idea got inflatted into by many at SDN, but JMS locked the thread. Blame Gniops' post for being the final straw. I was even gonna be polite about it, too, but Gniops had to screw it up.
We can start with the Jem'Hadar reading the defenders' minds, so as to be prepared to charge forward and form a flawless phalynx formed of the bodies of their own first wave, slinging their rifles and reaching them instantly so as not to be wiped out in turn if you'd like
And this is a perfectly good example of what I am talking about above. You, just like the others mentioning what I wrote at SDN, can't even keep straight what I said. No, you have to add in crap and several didn't even take the time to read the thread to see that that part was added in. It was believed I said that. If any of us posted over there, we'd spend 90% of our time showing what is believed to be what we said is not really what we said because many over there are too lazy to look at the thread themselves.
Ah, yes, the inevitable groupthink accusation. Let's see how many purposeless me-too posts it gets this time.
In the similar train of thought above, once you understand what 'groupthink' means, you will see that it isn't an accusation, it's fact. When you do, we can return to this point, too. But, if you want to see a reduction of 'groupthink' declarations, stop posting groupthink sentences and lines of thinking.
And I don't see any arguments that achieve adequacy, much less flawlessness, what's your point?
I said that it wouldn't matter. It was in black and white. English is actually a lot easier than people give it credit.
So if he actually wants to get his views out, un-editted, un-altered, and un-cherry-picked he has to leave the confines of this board. Since he already receives the same type of abuse at other forums where he makes his case, he might as well go straight to the source. If nothing else, he'll pick up points for perceived courage, and probably some small amount of support from the general underdog image that will be projected after the inevitable dogpile.
So, if this were to be applied evenly, the same would be said of Wong. I don't see you saying this to him.
n any case, I highly recommend coping. You've had more than five years since ICS to convince the internet of the shining undeniable truth of your position. How's that worked out for you again?
It's been working out fine. In the movie only canon, it doesn't matter; in the movie+EU canon, its numbers and "facts" are still subservient to the movies' depictions. Either way, it's crap. The facts speak for themselves. So, there really is nothing we ever needed to do. If one chooses to believe in them, that's on them. It isn't on us. We aren't required to do anything. So, you see. It's been fine because we never needed to prove anything to anybody.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:12 am

consequences wrote:Frankly the rest of it is your business, and your decision. However your accusation that your posts would be editted and altered is unfounded, and does you no credit.
Unfounded? How long have you been at SDN? Posts are often edited there by the Horsemen after being flushed to the HoS. Although the edits are pretty clearly marked, they are edits nonetheless.

The Elder Dwoof
Padawan

Post by The Elder Dwoof » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:32 pm

If I or JMS want to Make fun of Poe or just Point out the falacies in his website, I don't see why either of us should have to go and wade into the sty with him...particularly if attempts to start a real debate simply get flushed to their "HOS", and filled with posts that have nothing whatever to do with actually debating the subject.

From what I have observed, any attempt to engage in intelligent debate over some point get's pooh poohed and flushed if the post appears to be a threat to their Al-Gorish "The debate is over...don't confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up" attitudes. As JMS is well aware, I look at BOTH sides, and am quite willing to point out problems in arguments both pro AND con.