New Star Wars Canon Announced

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
User avatar
Khas
Starship Captain
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm
Location: Protoss Embassy to the Federation

Re: New Star Wars Canon Announced

Post by Khas » Thu May 01, 2014 4:20 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I don't think you should feel bad at all about enjoying the suffering some of these people will be going through, especially since many of them are sociopaths responsible for not only running SDN and SBC as fascistic police states, but also have dragged your good reputation through the mud as well as those of many other folks. So as far as I'm concerned, this is the karmic backlash that has been waiting for them, and she will be a helluva bitch in her fury.

By no means will they go down quietly, no cornered, and mortally wounded animal does, and I expect they will lash out in complete denial that the stake has been driven into very heart of their delusions and lies by those in an an official position to do so. In fact, based on some of the posts I've seen on some of these sites already, the excuses and spin doctoring to try and salvage at least the ICS is already well underway.

So I'm gonna grab a bucket of popcorn and kick back with you and watch while their ship sinks beneath their feet.
-Mike
Really? I mean, there are some delusionnal fools out there seriously attempting to save anything from the sinking EU and its rather dead weight ICS?
What's the excuse? Background production material, again?
Ha ha ha.
Oh, this is so sweet, I love it. Let them whine.
Please, share some links! :) :) :)
Just read through the link provided by Watchdog for starters:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 5#p3835878

I mean, they're in complete and total shock and denial in that thread.
-Mike
Um, link doesn't work.

EDIT: NEVER MIND.

watchdog
Jedi Knight
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:26 am
Location: Not at home

Re: New Star Wars Canon Announced

Post by watchdog » Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Went back to re-read the latest at SDN, those poor folks just cant seem to wrap their minds around what the EU was for if it wasn't meant to matter.
As far as I can tell, the EU has just been made for everyone what George Lucas has always viewed it as, a separate entity that can sometimes give a useful piece of information for the greater whole. For instance;

"if Lucas didn't want other people spoiling his vision of Star Wars (and since he didn't give the writers even the most basic guidelines that almost every other anthology setting that ever existed operated by), why did he bother making the EU?"

The answer;
it was meant to give people something to interact with in the mean time, it's official status was never that official as far as Lucas was concerned, his focus was always with the movies. Others were allowed to create their own visions but ultimately Lucas had the final say as to what was "real" or not. The warsies never fully grasped this fact (or rather they tried to ignore it), George Lucas was never beholden to follow what others had created, as such that meant that he did not have to pay them royalties in order to use their ideas. That's why you only ever see bits and pieces of EU material in use in the greater whole that is the movies and series and nothing more definitive.
I always think back to when Lucas released the young Indiana Jones chronicles, I wrote to him and inquired if he was planning on using some of the background info on young Indy that was in the movie tie-in books (Raiders of the lost ark claimed that his interest in whips came from watching lion tamers at the circus as a boy and he would practice with bottles on a wall all the time-Lucas's personal secretary wrote me back and told me that what we see in Indy Jones and the last crusade is the REAL way he got interested in the whip).
I was told clearly that Lucas doesn't rely on other writers work and that he ONLY ever works with material he himself writes. That alone told me all I need to know about how he views the EU.

User avatar
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Paradise Mountain

Re: New Star Wars Canon Announced

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 03, 2014 7:43 pm

watchdog wrote:Went back to re-read the latest at SDN, those poor folks just cant seem to wrap their minds around what the EU was for if it wasn't meant to matter.
As far as I can tell, the EU has just been made for everyone what George Lucas has always viewed it as, a separate entity that can sometimes give a useful piece of information for the greater whole. For instance;

"if Lucas didn't want other people spoiling his vision of Star Wars (and since he didn't give the writers even the most basic guidelines that almost every other anthology setting that ever existed operated by), why did he bother making the EU?"

The answer;
it was meant to give people something to interact with in the mean time, it's official status was never that official as far as Lucas was concerned, his focus was always with the movies. Others were allowed to create their own visions but ultimately Lucas had the final say as to what was "real" or not. The warsies never fully grasped this fact (or rather they tried to ignore it), George Lucas was never beholden to follow what others had created, as such that meant that he did not have to pay them royalties in order to use their ideas. That's why you only ever see bits and pieces of EU material in use in the greater whole that is the movies and series and nothing more definitive.
I always think back to when Lucas released the young Indiana Jones chronicles, I wrote to him and inquired if he was planning on using some of the background info on young Indy that was in the movie tie-in books (Raiders of the lost ark claimed that his interest in whips came from watching lion tamers at the circus as a boy and he would practice with bottles on a wall all the time-Lucas's personal secretary wrote me back and told me that what we see in Indy Jones and the last crusade is the REAL way he got interested in the whip).
I was told clearly that Lucas doesn't rely on other writers work and that he ONLY ever works with material he himself writes. That alone told me all I need to know about how he views the EU.
tl;dr :P


The real answer:

$

Lucky
Jedi Master
Posts: 2239
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: New Star Wars Canon Announced

Post by Lucky » Fri May 09, 2014 3:31 pm

April 25 2014
http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontMoving_Beyond_Existing_EU_Lucasfilm_Announces_New_Direction_For_Star_Wars_Canon_157581.asp wrote: Many fans expected that this would happen, and today, it has. Lucasfilm has announced that the future of Star Wars canon will not be dictated by the Expanded Universe of the past thirty-six years. As of today, the official, canonical story of Star Wars consists of "the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content [George Lucas] developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars." (This includes the upcoming Darth Maul comic adapted from TCW material.)
http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontMoving_Beyond_Existing_EU_Lucasfilm_Announces_New_Direction_For_Star_Wars_Canon_157581.asp wrote: While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontMoving_Beyond_Existing_EU_Lucasfilm_Announces_New_Direction_For_Star_Wars_Canon_157581.asp wrote: In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.
http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontMoving_Beyond_Existing_EU_Lucasfilm_Announces_New_Direction_For_Star_Wars_Canon_157581.asp wrote: On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.
April 25 2014
http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html wrote: While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
Disney seems to view the 6 movies and Star Wars the Clone Wars as the bar by which are other Star Wars must conform to. Does this mean the TV shows and movies will overrule everything else in a case of a contradiction?
http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html wrote: Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected. Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.
The new story lines will all come from a story group, and the intent is to have one coherent universe, and to have everyone on the same page. Wasn't this what the EU was suppose to be before, or was marketing just lying to everyone?

Given the people involved are only human there must be a way to deal with mistakes when they arise as you can't have mutually exclusive things exist in a coherent universe. What is the system for dealing with contradictions now?
http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html wrote: In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.
The post Return of the Jedi story lines are no longer canon, but details from they may be used in the future.
http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html wrote: Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.
The old EU is now published under the Legends title, and seems to be just that, a bunch of myths and legends that may or may not be true?
https://twitter.com/jenheddle wrote: Jennifer Heddle jenheddle apr 25
@The_Movie_Geek1 Everything prior to now is Legends. But the EU is still there. Doesn't mean characters from there may not pop up somewhere.
https://twitter.com/Palp79/status/459828317877989376 wrote: Follow

Henrik Johansson
‏@Palp79
@jenheddle What about already running lines? Such as FFGs books which have referred a lot in now old EU. Will its new books be legend?
Reply Retweet Favorite More
3:56 PM - 25 Apr 2014
Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle Apr 25
@Palp79 Not sure about that! Figuring it out.
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Henrik Johansson ‏@Palp79 Apr 25
@jenheddle Thanks :). Reference books (be they roleplaying or otherwise) are easy to forget when focusing on novels and continuity...
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Henrik Johansson ‏@Palp79 Apr 25
@jenheddle But they are also ones that to the largest degree takes up material in other works and as such mixes stuff.
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Henrik Johansson ‏@Palp79 Apr 25
@jenheddle @Dozza82432180 But consider, lets say they make a new book in the future, and it reference both legends and new canon material?
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle Apr 25
@Palp79 @Dozza82432180 Maybe? I honestly don't know.
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Henrik Johansson ‏@Palp79 Apr 25
@jenheddle @Dozza82432180

To elaborate...Lets say we get some new books for the new canon, then FFG puts out a book referencing them and..
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Henrik Johansson ‏@Palp79 Apr 25
@jenheddle @Dozza82432180 Some major old EU event you may not want Is this new FFG book canon? And if it is are the old event it brought up?
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle Apr 25
@Palp79 We would not have the new book reference any EU we don't want in there.
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Henrik Johansson ‏@Palp79 Apr 25
@jenheddle So would FFG not be allowed to use EU material,or do they need to divide up new books in Legend and canon?Or maybe sections in em
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Jennifer Heddle ‏@jenheddle Apr 25
@Palp79 Story Group would decide if any EU material they would want to use would be allowed to be included.
Details Reply Retweet Favorite More
Henrik Johansson ‏@Palp79 Apr 25
@jenheddle I see, thank you Jennifer for taking the time to respond :).
This makes it sound as if it will be a pain in the ass to write canon RPG fluff.


https://twitter.com/jenheddle wrote: Jennifer Heddle jenheddle apr 25
@dcaba23 The story is Legends but remember that the character Darth Plagueis is mentioned in ROTS and therefor canon.
Even if a character or thing appears in "canon" now, the things from Legends associated with it are not.

User avatar
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Paradise Mountain

Re: New Star Wars Canon Announced

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Lego Star Wars. It's on TV. What do we do of it? There's been no indication that LOLROFL shows (that are not funny in the slightest btw) should be excluded.

Post Reply