Are the ICS books accurate?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:59 pm

From what I've seen, the attitude at SDN can be summed up as this:
If you're pro-Wars, then no science degree will be needed for your arguments to be valid, and any excuse to explain the incompetence of Stormtroopers on screen will also be valid.

If you're pro-Trek, you need a science degree for your arguments to be taken seriously, and even then, you must not point out a gross Trek advantage.
Any excuse to explain the incompetance of Redshirts as seen on screen will be treated as such, and you will be treated as a moron for bringing it up.

In other words, they use double-standards when debating SW vs ST.
What is acceptable to attck Trek and defend wars cannot be used to attack Wars and defend Trek.

And have you ever noticed how only the die-hard pro-Wars debaters think of transporters as being inhuman, the devil's work?
No one else seems to think so...
Last edited by Praeothmin on Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm

What does Wong do again? Plastic item design or something?

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:28 pm

I think he's a civil engineer of sorts.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:38 pm

He's a mechanical engineer. Not sure exactly what kind of work he does though. He did say once that he did design engineer work.

JerilynCabbott(C'boath)
Welcome the new member!

Post by JerilynCabbott(C'boath) » Thu May 31, 2007 4:33 am

The last honest Trekkie did an experiment. He made hard foam. ( Take time to figure that out). When I asked him why he did it( After mistaking it for another substance) he simply said to my delight
" There I just prove a million of my Trekkie friends wrong about density"
No No, Praeothmin: No science degree made the foam hard, And no lack of a degree softened it.
The young man works at NASA( And not as the Janitor as you trekkies are so fond of saying)
Now If mr. NASA has problems with the Star Trek argument( and he's a Trekkie), then your degree ain't gona amount to much.
You will have to make the foam hard...
Showing folks your degree is only gona make them get one and then you're in for a bumpy ride

Sunburst
Padawan

Post by Sunburst » Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 pm

JerilynCabbott(C'boath) wrote:The last honest Trekkie did an experiment. He made hard foam. ( Take time to figure that out). When I asked him why he did it( After mistaking it for another substance) he simply said to my delight
No No, Praeothmin: No science degree made the foam hard, And no lack of a degree softened it.
The young man works at NASA( And not as the Janitor as you trekkies are so fond of saying)
Now If mr. NASA has problems with the Star Trek argument( and he's a Trekkie), then your degree ain't gona amount to much.
Showing folks your degree is only gona make them get one and then you're in for a bumpy ride
Is the "last honest trekkie" sort of like the "last boyscout"? Is he your hero or a good friend, is that why you're telling a story about him?

So anyway, the tech books are lame. Yes, lame, totally lame. The authors all make info up for entertainment so it's more than just summaries of what happened in the movies or shows. That's the cool fun part of the books; the lame part is making up numbers for how powerful or big or how many something is or has or whatever. Taking the numbers as fact is the lame part....they're sort of guild numbers to let the readers play with the info in our heads. It's fun to think about all that detail and it can spice up our ideas to fit in with the movies or shows even if they don’t fit exactly.

For example, the tech books say that a-wings have powerful jamming abilities, which was never mentioned in the movies or the books I read. It's a capability the author gave the a-wing to sound more interesting.

Authors of books are all different and I take everything with a grain of salt. This thread is about the a few specific tech books so I'll comment about their author. I never gave the author much credit in his star wars knowledge because he couldn't call things by their names...he made up names based on his preferences so I came to the conclusion that if he gets given names incorrect his other ideas are going to be a bit off.

Always remember, official canon is the author’s story, it's the truth in the eyes of the author….and the shareholders. Everyone else get's to have their own say; everyone else just can't sell it.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Thu May 31, 2007 4:27 pm

JerilynCabbott(C'boath) wrote:The last honest Trekkie did an experiment. He made hard foam. ( Take time to figure that out). When I asked him why he did it( After mistaking it for another substance) he simply said to my delight
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you compress foam and remove all the air bubbles, foam becomes harder because it becomes a lot more structurally sound. However, it's not really foam anymore. Even if it is a hard foam, it is going to be significantly weaker than the non-foam version of that same substance. For instance, styrofoam is made from a fairly hard plastic, but it is very soft in foam form.
Last edited by Nonamer on Thu May 31, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 31, 2007 5:09 pm

JerilynCabbott(C'boath) wrote:
The last honest Trekkie did an experiment. He made hard foam. ( Take time to figure that out). When I asked him why he did it( After mistaking it for another substance) he simply said to my delight
Who's "The last honest Trekkie"?
When did he make it?
What was the weight of 1 cubic foot of his foam?
Who mistook it for another substance?
How did he prove his "friends" wrong?
What was the point he wanted to make?
What's his real job at NASA?
Who thought he was a janitor?
What Star Trek argument did he have a problem with?

We are missing a lot of basic info that would allow better understanding of what you are talking about.
I have no personnal dislike of anybody at SDN, I simply state what I've witnessed when I was perusing the ST vs SW forum.
And if you want to find my stance on the ST vs SW issue, simply look up my posts around here.
You will find that I'm one of the few people who do think that the Galactic Empire would win against the Federation in an all out war.
I'm what you can call a "reserved" trekkie.
I don't believe everything thrown my way without trying to check things out first.
Like your "Hard Foam".
Unfrtunately, I haven't found much, so I would appreciate some more details.
Thanks.