Are the ICS books accurate?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:24 pm

Lord Edam wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Sorry playing the necromancer, and double sorry if it was already said, but isn't it possible that Dankayo actually was a small planetoid, and that the atmosphere talked about was the atmosphere of the base?
I believe the standard response to that is "Dankayo is a planet not an airless moon". ie, because it's called "a planet", and has "a small rebel adminsitrative base" on it, it must by definition be a habitable planet.

the fact that boiling off the entire atmosphere & top soil of a habitable planet would be severe overkill for capturing a small administrative base is conveniently ignored in favour of Big Numbers.
But then I ask: define the word planet.

ROFLlolROLZlors33t crapwoopteedo!

Ah blah blah, when the book was written, planet was defined as blah blah, etc.

EDIT: the fact that Dankayo's surface was evenly cratered is the element which proves that the bombardment was not focused on the base only but over a large area, if not the whole surface.

Yet, the line from Scavenger Hunt is worded in such a way that you can think the atmosphere in question is the base's one.
AnonymousRedShirtEnsign wrote:So is the fact a mop up detail was dispatched to finish the Rebels which would be completely unnecessary if ISDs had GT level weapons.
Indeed, I don't get the point of the mop up if the whole surface has been torched, crackled, slagged and whatever, and if the people who might have survived down the deeper levels of the base would actually be blocked by ruins and solidified lava. They'd soon die. No air recycler. Limited food supplies and probably no medical antenna.

But whatever, I guess any excuse is good to make thigns more epic than necessary... or possible.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:49 am

Scavenger Hunt always sounded like one of the those very marginally pieces of canon. No one can ever agree on exactly what it's describing, but it's really it's vague either way. It's probably a good idea to ignore stuff that can never be properly verified by other sources. Otherwise, we'll turn into Saxton, a guy who uses everything from comic books to unpublished tech notes as sources, and thus was able to spin SW into any form he wanted.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:51 am

Just wanted to note, I have the AOTC comics and I've never seen anything in it that would point to the level of firepower mentioned in the ICS. Indeed I could point to a couple of comics that show ISD's firing down to a planets surface and causing very low yield damage (no where near 1 GT let alone 200).

Personally I would challenge anyone to show me proof of 200 GT turbolasers, pointing to some write up in a questionable book is not real proof, you need to show me real proof if you want me to believe it.
The DS doesnt count, it represents a specialized weapon and is way bigger than any regular weapons, it's yield could be anything compared to the others.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:08 pm

watchdog wrote:Just wanted to note, I have the AOTC comics and I've never seen anything in it that would point to the level of firepower mentioned in the ICS. Indeed I could point to a couple of comics that show ISD's firing down to a planets surface and causing very low yield damage (no where near 1 GT let alone 200).
And remember that the 200 GT was in fact 50 GT per tube, for quad turrets, on the Aclamator.

A typical SDnetist would easily claim TT level of firepower, probably around 3 TT per cannon, and of course no one would consider this worth of a written disagreement.

That said, can you please give the names of the comics you're talking about?
So people can check.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:50 pm

The comic versions of the Thrawn trilogy have a couple of interesting scenes in them for one, the other comic I was refering to I will have to find , probably buried under a bunch of stuff in my room. I already tried to locate the scans I made of the scenes in question but it appears that I may have deleted them from my computer (unless you know a way of removing inserted images from an MS word document , I'll have to re-scan them).

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Select the image, copy it, open up paint (or similar program) and paste it in there. Then, save to the desired file name.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:48 pm

While you're at it Watchdog, you might want to scan in the Athega scenes, since it shows that star to be clearly anything but a black hole, pulsar, or A or O type.
-Mike

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:13 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:While you're at it Watchdog, you might want to scan in the Athega scenes, since it shows that star to be clearly anything but a black hole, pulsar, or A or O type.
-Mike
I'm sorry but you kind of lost me, is that in the Thrawn comics or is it from something else?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:02 pm

Yes, the much disputed part where Solo goes to whatever scorched planet closely orbiting a sun (Nkklon or something orbiting Athega), and Lando came with the idea of those big umbrella shields to protect the ships, and had the factory placed on quadripod legs to move it around the surface of the rockball.

There's a whole issue with that, because people like Poe claim this is an exotic sun emitting extremely devastating particles, which were damaging ISDs at insane rates.
This reasoning exists because it contradicts another EU novel where an ISD is floating inside a system made of seven blue giants and does fine with that.
But I don't know anything about that rather... "original" star system.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:13 am

watchdog wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:While you're at it Watchdog, you might want to scan in the Athega scenes, since it shows that star to be clearly anything but a black hole, pulsar, or A or O type.
-Mike
I'm sorry but you kind of lost me, is that in the Thrawn comics or is it from something else?
It's in the comic adaptation of Heir to the Empire .
-Mike

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:41 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Yes, the much disputed part where Solo goes to whatever scorched planet closely orbiting a sun (Nkklon or something orbiting Athega), and Lando came with the idea of those big umbrella shields to protect the ships, and had the factory placed on quadripod legs to move it around the surface of the rockball.

There's a whole issue with that, because people like Poe claim this is an exotic sun emitting extremely devastating particles, which were damaging ISDs at insane rates.
This reasoning exists because it contradicts another EU novel where an ISD is floating inside a system made of seven blue giants and does fine with that.
But I don't know anything about that rather... "original" star system.
Ok I got it, I'll see if this post takes (tried to post a pic in my above quote but the pic didnt show). If these pics dont post just cut-and-paste the link, hopefully that will work. The blue giant stars I think are actually in a nebula, I went searching for the effects of a nebula on star wars ships and there was only the one reference. It was Admiral Daala, she was hiding in the nebula that had 7 blue giants within, the guy who stole the sun crusher (cant remember his name) came along and tried to kill her by destroying the suns within.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:43 am

What am I doing wrong here?[/quote]

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:01 am

watchdog wrote:
What am I doing wrong here?
Special caracters maybe? I hate imageshack.
I've tried photobucket and I'm just right fine with that.

Ah, I didn't get Nkllon's spelling right.
Glad I didn't take any bet.

Leia is hotter in this pics than she was in the films.

Did she use the Force to redefine her curves? You know, the effect of the Light side? Makes you prettier.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Post by Dragoon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Leia is preggers.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:21 pm

So that means even more Force botox!

Hey! I have a PM! Surprise surprise... :)