Pro-Trek or pro-Wars?

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:34 pm

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign wrote:The Sulaco is the ship from Aliens right? The one that the Pillar of Autumn in Halo is a complete rip off of.
From ALIENS (and ALIEN³ which was relatively of the same class and called Patna).

As for Halo, sort of. Can't surprise me though, the whole universe is a huge rip off anyway.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:03 am

Well they can get away with it, nobody plays FPS games for their stories.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:19 am

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign wrote:Well they can get away with it, nobody plays FPS games for their stories.
Funnily, I've been playing Doom 3 exactly for the story, mood and universe.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:12 am

If a FPS had a good story, but wasn't fun would you still play it? I actually didn't like Doom 3 that much, the game is entirely centered around close to mid-range combat, but at least most of the weapons are fun to use.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:57 am

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign wrote:If a FPS had a good story, but wasn't fun would you still play it? I actually didn't like Doom 3 that much, the game is entirely centered around close to mid-range combat, but at least most of the weapons are fun to use.
It's more about the reverse. Half Life seems to be extremely cool, but the story doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

TheRedFear
Padawan

Post by TheRedFear » Fri May 23, 2008 6:10 am

Alyeska wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Alyeska as a pro-Trek debater could only fly at SDN among the SDN core. Nowhere else does he seem to qualify.

Would you rationally argue that to be Pro-Trek you have to believe a TOS era shuttle craft could take down the Death Star?
Uh to be fair, an X-Wing did it, so why not a TOS Era Shuttle Craft? Hell, I like the odds of an ENT Era shuttlecraft. Do remember that prior to Luke...an inexperienced Pilot...deciding to trust the Force instead of the Targeting Computer, The Rebel Commnders fully expected the Targeting computer could do the job. And I don't think you'll find anybody who can seriously argue that even on their worst day Trek target computers dance scornfully upon the tattered pride of Wars targeting computers.
Last edited by TheRedFear on Sat May 24, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Shut up a puddle jumper alone could ruin a Death Star! :D

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Re:

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Alyeska wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Alyeska as a pro-Trek debater could only fly at SDN among the SDN core. Nowhere else does he seem to qualify.
You are operating under a flawed definition of what qualifies a Trekkie. You assume that person must believe Trek is more powerful then Wars. This is intellectually dishonest in the extreme.

No, what's "intellectually dishonest," is inherently admitting that it matters who's stronger-- while at the same time claiming that it's suposedly based on objective criteria.
And thus your reasons for leaving SDN are "personal" as in conflict.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Shut up a puddle jumper alone could ruin a Death Star! :D
If it's at least as powerful as a proton torpedo, anyway.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Re: Pro-Trek or pro-Wars?

Post by The Dude » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Here I thought a "trekkie" or "warsie" meant you where a fan of the franchise.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Re:

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:
At least? I trust you've never seen squids at work?... I mean, the drone weapon, of course.
They have some crazy maneuverability and a tendency to eat through toughsteel, hardium, sturdynite, solidium, robustine, etc. with little effort.

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
KirkSkywalker wrote:
At least? I trust you've never seen squids at work?... I mean, the drone weapon, of course.
They have some crazy maneuverability and a tendency to eat through toughsteel, hardium, sturdynite, solidium, robustine, etc. with little effort.
Try again.... the term "puddle-jumper" refer to one of these:

I have no idea what you're talking about -- and I have a feeling that makes two of us.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about -- and I have a feeling that makes two of us.
Couldn't you have simply, for once, said that you wanted clarifications on what he meant, instead of jumping in immediately with the snide remark?
It would have been simpler, and more polite...

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:01 pm

But it wouldn't be FUNNY....

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:11 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
KirkSkywalker wrote: If it's at least as powerful as a proton torpedo, anyway.
Try again.... the term "puddle-jumper" refer to one of these:

I have no idea what you're talking about -- and I have a feeling that makes two of us.
I actually do know what I'm talking about, and I reiterate my position. That PJ could ruin a Death Star.
Its squid missiles weapons devour alloys which have nothing to envy to the armours used in SW, so much that it could actually afford missing the hole.
Never mind, the squid-missiles have a maneuverability that's so silly good that getting them into that hole will be less problematic than it was for the Rebels.
Besides, these little ships can cloak, and they're versatile enough so that McKay could relatively easily swap the cloak system for:
- A battle shield.
- A large disintegrator field (the kind that defeats Replicators).
And McKay, with his boosted metabolism and brain functions, found a way to put a hyperdrive on them.
They've also been used to drop a present (they transported a bomb, dropped it inside a room and moved away).
If anything, they could simply mount a naqahdah missile rack in the aft compartment, open the rear door and shoot that thing down the hole.
The only issue is that the cloak needs to be dropped in order to fire the drones, but I believe it doesn't need to be explained why a single one of those things could fly unseen, stand right on top of the exhaust port, shoot whatever it needs to shoot, and buzz off.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:33 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:But it wouldn't be FUNNY....
But it wasn't...